Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

It’s probably going to be the stand out stadium in England in terms of design, aesthetics and facilities. With a historical provenance as well since it won’t be a relocated ground.

I can’t say I’ve been to every stadium, but off all those I’ve been to new and old, Arsenal’s stood out the most and takes some topping. I was there for an FA Cup match against Spurs a few seasons back and the atmosphere at times was as good as anything I’ve experienced at SJP. The facilities though were on another level.

The new Wembley, although aesthetically impressive and very imposing, given its cost, was a major let down for me in terms of accessibility and facilities.

As a centre-piece kind of stadium it looks good, but it doesnt feel like something worthy of the name the national stadium, or home of English football. For one of finals or playoffs maybe, but for England games in general I can think of many better stadiums to host an England international fixture which should be played around the country.

Sadly SJP despite being the envy of most in terms of location, has been left behind by many a stadium in terms of facilities, accessibility and aesthetics. It’s not about size either or even design as a structure because Spurs’ stadium looks like the Emirates in many ways and those who’ve been to WHU’s new stadium wax lyrical about the design, but say it’s not a football stadium which ours undoubtedly is.

Despite the costs and issues, remaining at WHL will make Spurs’ stadium all the more special and what they have done is incredible and might just inspire others to follow suit rather than a total relocation.

As much of a shit hole Goodson is, it has a unique character and charm that some modern stadiums who better facilities just can’t and never will match regardless of size and aesthetics.

I do hope Barcelona get it right. It’s easier to ignore the bad things when you’re just visiting a stadium though for a one off match and not every other week as a place that’s your home for life. Despite my criticism of SJP, it’s still one of the best stadiums in the world.

Knock them down I say.

Would love a stadium like Spurs, lucky bastards.

Actually hate people with this view.

If you look at what great buildings Newcastle has lost over the years, then you’ll understand the need to keep what we have.

SJP can be an excellent stadium with excellent facilities and not have to demolish Leazers Terrace for it. There is room for both, and even a Gallowgate extension would bring us to just over 60k capacity which is enough. I’d rather have a 60k capacity SJP with it’s own character and the Leazers Terrace, then a 80k capacity bowl with less character and no Leazers Terrace.

If you want a 80k capacity super stadium, the arena site is going to be available soon.

• 4 weeks later...

It is, ridiculous idea.

Those buildings are some of the best around Newcastle, lovely georgian architecture.

There was something of a battle over some of the buildings around WHL, but I believe the key ones were preserved. One advantage we had was that there was enough land around that could be easily...well...flattened and built on. Archway Sheet Metal were a pain in the arse, but it's ultimately easier to deal with one firm rather than the stuff other clubs would have to deal with, and the East side had local pitches rather than, say, listed housing.

Has a serious attempt been made to design something that incorporates the Leazes Terrace? It always used to be that you couldn't build above a certain height IIRC. Weren't there tentative plans to build on the common land to the north of the city?

I think it would be crucial to keep your ground as close to the city (and the current site) as possible. We were somewhat lucky that it was an option for us, although the transport infrastructure is concerning. Arsenal were extremely fortunate that there was relatively cheap land available nearby, and their transport links were already excellent. Well I say fortunate, the cunts moved from Woolwich by design, not luck. Have there been serious proposals for you rebuilding in place?

It's actually really frustrating to be over here while this is happening. I know the area so well, and videos just don't give me a good enough feel for how the rebuild is affecting the surroundings.

Archway Sheet Metal were a pain in the arse, but it's ultimately easier to deal with one firm rather than the stuff other clubs would have to deal with, and the East side had local pitches rather than, say, listed housing.

A jerry can and a box of matches, wasn't it?

Guest Howaythetoon

Wait until a dead pigeon takes up residence and the bolts start to rust, won’t look so nice then.

Seriously great work Spurs. Well jel, now I know what they must have felt when we were expanding SJP...