Andy Cole

Paully

Did you mean to quote the Crook thing there? I know he lived in Jesmond bc he used to swan into Wm Low where stepson 2 worked and big it up :lol:. I'll never forgive him for that Cup Final s***, but wish him no ill.

He was briefly in Crook because he wanted to be alone. Someone, I forget who, opined that at the time: 'a black man in Crook would stop traffic'.

He relocated to Jesmond not long thereafter. I went to his place a couple of times for bevvy sessions, though he was not a big drinker. All his Shottingham mates were. It wasn't particularly sumptuous, even though he was on £12k/wk at the time. That's, what, £35k now?

When we signed Ginola, we were paying him £14k/wk - the third highest in the country at the time.

Nah, man, I just meant you quoted the wrong post, no bother. You seem to know a bit, has he got a beef with NUFC? I know he really worked hard after he left us, and good for him. Is he bitter somehow though? :lol: Just can't get over that Cup Final thing. After all these years it still hurts.

He's no beef with us at all. He was 'difficult' throughout his career.

Guest Howaythetoon

My first football hero and for me the time he played for us, that brief spell, was the height of joy for most fans of this club, because of where we came from, how we did it, and where we were going. That chapter in our history was special, more special than playing in the CL, getting to an FA Cup Final, finishing 2nd etc. I wish the bloke a speedy and full recovery. My god he was awesome for us, probably the most exciting time to have been a Toon fan.

• 2 years later...

Great interview, Paully. :thup: We'll never see his like at Newcastle again - best natural finisher I've ever seen.

Some of the things from when he came in 92-93 to that season in 93-94 were immense. He gets the ball he scores a goal andy andy cole there was never a more accurate sentiment. Ill never forget SJP rocking to that song regularly for 18 months especially the 7-1 Leicester game

My first Newcastle United hero. Sad to see how much he is struggling

+ My first experience of football heartbreak when he left.

I went to my first game FA cup game v Blackburn on the 8th jan. my dads friend who came from Newcastle had got us tickets and he asked me at the game who my favourite player was, I said Cole, 2 days later he was sold. Was gutted.

Great finisher for us, helped immensely by having a typically unselfish Peter Beardsley playing alongside him. Reading Keegans book he hints that he was tapped up by Man Utd before they signed him and he downed tools for us after that. Pretty sure he went on a long goalscoring drought before he signed for them. After that he spoilt himself by calling us all sad Geordie Bastards on the Wembley pitch after Man Utd won the FA Cup and since then I couldn't care less about him.

Great finisher for us, helped immensely by having a typically unselfish Peter Beardsley playing alongside him. Reading Keegans book he hints that he was tapped up by Man Utd before they signed him and he downed tools for us after that. Pretty sure he went on a long goalscoring drought before he signed for them. After that he spoilt himself by calling us all sad Geordie Bastards on the Wembley pitch after Man Utd won the FA Cup and since then I couldn't care less about him.

That probably co incided with the incident at Wimbledon with him. Agree that without Pedro alongside him he would have been nowhere near as effective. Staggering to think in 93-94 them 2 scored 66 goals between them, we don't get anywhere near that as a team these days

Guest neesy111

My first Newcastle United hero. Sad to see how much he is struggling

+ My first experience of football heartbreak when he left.

This.

'By the way, just to be clear about my introduction: I am not seeking any chat or love-in with Ruddock! But I don't have the lingering animosity for him I have for Sheringham.'

Right, so he hates the person who refused to shake his hand more than the person who broke both of his legs?

Okay....

Yep, seems to have a chip on his shoulder most of the time - needs to lighten up.

'Chip' huh? You know this how/because you're privy to Cole & Sheringham's relationship?

Why would he have a 'chip' against Teddy, a player who he vastly supercedes in all regards? What a weird comment on your part

Yourself and Minhosa seemingly typify the dregs of football supporters

Yep, seems to have a chip on his shoulder most of the time - needs to lighten up.

'Chip' huh? You know this how/because you're privy to Cole & Sheringham's relationship?

Why would he have a 'chip' against Teddy, a player who he vastly supercedes in all regards? What a weird comment on your part

Yourself and Minhosa seemingly typify the dregs of football supporters

I was talking in general - ie, watching him during interviews and stuff.

He states that he and Sheringham don't get on - fact.

And how does he supersede Sheringham exactly? :lol: (And, are you telling me superior players don't sometimes have a disliking for inferior player (for reasons unrelated to their abilities)? :lol:)

I was talking in general - ie, watching him during interviews and stuff.

Fair enough, still a reach of a conclusion without anything substantial

He states that he and Sheringham don't get on - fact.

explains why, Sheringham being a bellend of a teammate on his debut and who knows what else

And how does he supersede Sheringham exactly? :lol: (And, are you telling me superior players don't sometimes have a disliking for inferior player (for reasons unrelated to their abilities)? :lol:)

Kings don't generally concern themselves with peasants

As much as cole was a great goalscorer he was not on the same planet as Sheringham as a footballer, Sheringham had a footballing brain

Not fair at all, they were completely different players. Cole was absolutely lethal and his instincts for a chance and a finish were unreal. Of course Sheringham was more creative but they had very different styles.