Andy Cole

Paully

On 17/12/2023 at 09:38, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep - Barmby and Anderson in particular were absolute head-scratchers for me.  Nowhere near that level. 

It usually helps when the England manager has the London football press at his Scribes nightclub for free drinkies on regular basis.  Fewer questions get asked - you can even resign over mounting legal issues and they don’t say a peep.

It was exactly this; spurs bias through and through. Barmby and Anderton (and Sheringham to a certain extent) are key examples but don't forget ian walker, competent but hardly the best goalkeeping choice at the time, even at spurs never mind England.

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

I doubt we will see another Andy Cole at Newcastle, in our lifetime. His spell here was genuinely a one off and something truly special.

papiss nearly got there but just fell away.

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

papiss nearly got there but just fell away.

I’ve said this before. Ultimately it was only about a 15 game spell from January until the end of the season, but if you go back and the look at the variety of goals he scored, it was astonishing.

8 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Again if there had been proper investment after achieving 5th he could have really been a legend. 

Instead consolidation meant he just languished until it was time to leave 

we got little vern didnt we?

42 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Again if there had been proper investment after achieving 5th he could have really been a legend. 

Instead consolidation meant he just languished until it was time to leave 

Languished? He got stuck on the fucking wing so that Ba could play centrally after his strop.

46 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Languished? He got stuck on the fucking wing so that Ba could play centrally after his strop.

Yeah, if I recall the first time he played there he scored a header within about 5 mins and then never did anything there ever again.

Cisse was a brilliant instinctive goalscorer, but wasn't particularly good at anything else.

Edited by Checko

33 minutes ago, Checko said:

Yeah, if I recall the first time he played there he scored a header within about 5 mins and then never did anything there ever again.

Cisse was a brilliant instinctive goalscorer, but wasn't particularly good at anything else.

Excelled at being offside.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Yes languished - less effective, weaker, declined, because of a few reasons but ultimately.....languished ! 

And I'm sure it was Ba who first got pushed out wide on the left? Ben arfa right and cisse in the middle. 

36 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Yes languished - less effective, weaker, declined, because of a few reasons but ultimately.....languished ! 

And I'm sure it was Ba who first got pushed out wide on the left? Ben arfa right and cisse in the middle. 

It was, but the season after Pardew pushed Cisse wide to appease Ba, who then fucked off in the Jan

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What a goalscorer man. Even in his later career at the likes of Blackburn, Fulham and City he was hitting 1 in 3.

Mental -never took pens as well! Albeit I recall him missing one for us I think away to Coventry?

On 22/04/2024 at 08:10, Skeletor said:

Has he gotten over whatever he was so ungrateful towards us about?

Loved him back in the day.

Think that's just his personality. Was watching his PL Legends show the other day and he was saying something along the lines of "why does no one ever mention me in the best goal scorer in PL history conversation?"

My first and biggest football heartbreak. 

He's got a point about not being mentioned, but that's the price he paid for going to Man United and being another cog in the machine. It's him and Beardsley never being brought up as the best PL partnership that's a travesty. They're the best there's been yet they're talked about, if at all, as a footnote.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

My first and biggest football heartbreak. 

He's got a point about not being mentioned, but that's the price he paid for going to Man United and being another cog in the machine. It's him and Beardsley never being brought up as the best PL partnership that's a travesty. They're the best there's been yet they're talked about, if at all, as a footnote.

imre varadi for me.

just a bit too young but i feel the supermac sale would have had me in tears.

and rafa.... fuck me i was fuming.

Edited by huss9