NUFC finances

Paully

Wouldnt worry about it, HF will invent a new figure(another 20 times) between now and then depending on his mood. Would be easier just posting the fact he doesnt know a thing rather than trying to 2nd(up to 32nd atm) guess Ashley

:lol:

Aye, probably.  Best just close the forum down completely given we're all just offering an opinion.

Yeah thats the same as you claiming to know whats going to happen. Such a shit strawman :thup:

I don't claim to know anything.  I've given my opinion, not aware that it has changed too much either?

The club cautiously spending only what it earns, without Ashley skimming any profits, has always been my view.  Not based on special knowledge, but based on the club saying that is what they will do and then doing it.

What the club earns is always guesswork until the accounts come out.  Now we have them in full and can see the cash in the bank, I'm not sure it's that much different from what ANYONE predicted before the club muddied the waters.

In real terms, bypassing all the accounting tricks procedures, "what the club earned" is the bottom line of the cash flow statement: Increase/(decrease) in cash = £38.6m. That's less than most of us thought it would be due to the unexpectedly high wage bill, but it still means we had £34.1m in cash sat in the bank on the 30/6/14.

This season we spent around £15m net (£29.8m spent detailed in the accounts, £15m estimated received for Debuchy & MYM)

Cool. Much rather have the money in the bank than a capable manager and playing staff.

What a time to be alive.

Good point, I forgot about the £3m we got for Pardew. We spent around £12m net if you include him too. #wait

I calculated the 3m for Pardew plus 8m from January window plus 12.5 from Debuchy et al in the summer making the spend of 29 million on players costing Mike just 6 million quid on a fukin premiership squad.... absolutely ambitionless to a tee. OK Mike what happened to the advertising money and the TV money ... not 1 fukin penny reinvested that's what so who's fukin bank account has it been massaged towards  :whistle:

Luke EdwardsVerified account ‏@LukeEdwardsTele 

Why on earth would you transfer money to another bank account? Profits are actually more than £30m as revealed by @TelegraphSport last month

So #nufc hid profits of £30m by transferring it into another bank account. Shameless

Why on earth would you transfer money to another bank account? Profits are actually more than £30m as revealed by @TelegraphSport last month

So #nufc hid profits of £30m by transferring it into another bank account. Shameless

I wonder why they'd hide the fact that they made money... :rolleyes:

Proven liars.

Guest reefatoon

It's either go to the match or spend 3 hours with the missus, man.  I know what I'd choose.  Heaven forbid I'd have to walk round the Metrocentre for a bit.

:lol:

It's either go to the match or spend 3 hours with the missus, man.  I know what I'd choose.  Heaven forbid I'd have to walk round the Metrocentre for a bit.

So your only options are going to the match or the metro centre?

Why not advise Mrs Slim that you are going to the match but actually go to the protest, then go to bar to watch the match.  Then go home, she will be none the wiser.  Unless she has had a sim card inserted in you and she can track your movements.

In round numbers as far as I can see the 3 things that have reduced the profit from the expected levels are:

Increase in wages £16 million

Increase in amortisation £6 million

Increase in "other operating charges" £6 million

The wages increase is a surprise but without knowing who is earning what its hard to pinpoint, a bonus system is a possibility as someone earlier said. The amortisation is also a surprise as at first glance the gross cost of the squad of players has gone down from £88 million to £83 million from 2013 to 2014. Although that isn't a totally foolproof guide it does suggest there may have been some sort of impairment provision put through. No idea what "other operating charges" consists of.

We could have cash in the bank greater than our profit, but if so we still need to work out how the profit was so low. Basically we still need the detail of how the costs went up so much.

Edit: thanks quayside.

£16m increase in wages is baffling, as is the other operating costs.

If you put money in another account and say it's a payment for something then of course it comes off your profits because profits are what's left after all expenses have been paid for. Claiming a profit as an expense is rule 101 in avoiding tax. It's the same with high level of management in business, they are paid via their expenses and not an actual wage, this way they arn't tax on their income.

Also quick question quayside, can we legitimately increase amortisation in an individual year if we have already defined the rate of depreciation over a player's contract in an earlier year? Seems a bit fishy but I guess it might be OK accounting-wise.

If you put money in another account and say it's a payment for something then of course it comes off your profits because profits are what's left after all expenses have been paid for. Claiming a profit as an expense is rule 101 in avoiding tax. It's the same with high level of management in business, they are paid via their expenses and not an actual wage, this way they arn't tax on their income.

Yeah but you would have to say what the expense was and that would go in the accounts. You can just move money out of your bank account.

Also quick question quayside, can we legitimately increase amortisation in an individual year if we have already defined the rate of depreciation over a player's contract in an earlier year? Seems a bit fishy but I guess it might be OK accounting-wise.

IIRC you can write off some of the value if you state that a player's actual value has decreased for some reason (e.g. being managed by Pardew). Can't remember what it's called.

Yeah but you would have to say what the expense was and that would go in the accounts. You can just move money out of your bank account.

Thats why you have to follow the paper trail. Look at every single expense, look at where the money goes, double check the the people who it says it's for actually got that amount. It's what accountants for HMRC do when investigating fraud. It's beyond our means as fans to look for it because we won't be allowed an in depth access.

The accounting policy on amortisation in note 1(f)(1) gives some scope for impairment if "it is clear that a player is no longer expected to remain an active member of the playing squad". Any impairment must be based on "a measureable net realiseable value". 

Hope that helps!