The other games today - 2014/15

Greg

Don't think it's a good result for Real.

Juve will rest every single player of theirs over the weekend, whereas Madrid have a must win game against a very good Valencia side that will rattle them. Also, An Italian team needing a 0-0 in advance ? As Klopp said, it's the toughest possible task.

It's important that Juve don't concede early next week, but even if they do I don't think it's curtains. This Madrid team is always good for giving up a goal or two and Juve are well capable. 3 years ago, Bayern took a 2-1 lead to Burnabeu and was blitzed by 2 really quick Ronaldo goals and I thought they'd go on to get smashed. But they came back and took it to pens and won it and I think this Juve team is better than Bayern of 2011-12. Just slightly.

If Juventus get through I can't see Chiellini not getting another yellow card in the second semi to put him out of the final

UEFA fixed it so that can't happen.  All cards are wiped for the semis, you can be carded in both games and wont be suspended for the final.  Bit late for Fletch and co.

Got to wonder if Pepe wouldn't have been a better option in the spoiler role than Ramos. At least Ramos is a bit better at pulling the back 4 together. 

Ramos has more ability on the ball. He's played there a fair few times. Scored a good amount of goals in that position towards the end of last season too.

Ramos is horrible in the middle.

For the same reason Luiz is, neither of them have no idea where they are supposed to be. Out of position all the time.

Luiz is fine as long as you pair him with a real DM who will sit responsibly and let him run around wildly for 90 minutes. Better than Ramos, imo, anyway.

Fine result for Madrid. They've gone into a charged atmosphere against a top side and emerged with a situation where a simple 1-0 victory sends them to a final.

Couldn't you say the same with Ramos though?

Did you watch the game tonight? Ramos couldn't keep the ball to save his life. Get him back at CB and get Varane to the bench. I've only seen that Brazilian CM lad play once for Madrid... and even then i'm sure it was a substitute.

Yes :lol:

I was talking in general sense, tbf Ramos doesn't usually give the ball away that much either. I don't think either of them are very good in midfield.

David has something about himself in midfield which I find makes him better in the middle than Ramos. I've been shocked by how badly Ramos has done in the middle, his passing ability is terrible and he can't position himself at all. Only reason Ancelotti is playing him is that he becomes a threat from crosses when he attacks from deep. Lucas Silva and Illarra are better than Ramos.

I'd agree with that but I just don't think Bale understands what it means to be a Galactico. The cupping of the ear after scoring those goals that time said it all. It's not about scoring goals. It's about being a big player, a big influence throughout the match, making the fans get on their feet when you have the ball. James has come in and played like a Galactico from the off. Kroos too even though his legs look like they are about to fall off.

James is the man.

And yeah Mole agree about Morata, was really impressed by him last night.

Ironic thing about the winner is that if Marcelo hadn't deliberately clipped their player, the ball would have probably been slipped through to him with a long way to go still, instead of him having to go it alone and winning the penalty.

Problem with Ramos is that he's a gifted player but his decision-making has always been terrible. He was always caught off position when he was a RB, and finds himself always in the wrong place as a midfielder. That's why he has such a collection of red cards, too. He's succeeded as a centreback because it's the position with the least leeway to move around and f*** things up. Mourinho was smart when he moved him there.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm reading Balange's book about Messi at the moment and had a good laugh at the bit about how when he played at youth level he haunted Ramos and scored a hat trick. Ramos is such an odd player like. I've never known a player like that be such a needless hot head.

Problem with Ramos is that he's a gifted player but his decision-making has always been terrible. He was always caught off position when he was a RB, and finds himself always in the wrong place as a midfielder. That's why he has such a collection of red cards, too. He's succeeded as a centreback because it's the position with the least leeway to move around and f*** things up. Mourinho was smart when he moved him there.

He was the most infuriating player at RB for Madrid. With his silly long hair, constant Hollywood passing attempts. He was clearly someone with immense ability with the ball and absolutely everything in defence but it seemed he didn't want to bother defending and wanted to impress Zinedine & Beckham with his passing and attacks. Obviously he's matured into a worldclass centreback and now his "ways" are funny and much more effective.

Don't think it's a good result for Real.

Juve will rest every single player of theirs over the weekend, whereas Madrid have a must win game against a very good Valencia side that will rattle them. Also, An Italian team needing a 0-0 in advance ? As Klopp said, it's the toughest possible task.

It's important that Juve don't concede early next week, but even if they do I don't think it's curtains. This Madrid team is always good for giving up a goal or two and Juve are well capable. 3 years ago, Bayern took a 2-1 lead to Burnabeu and was blitzed by 2 really quick Ronaldo goals and I thought they'd go on to get smashed. But they came back and took it to pens and won it and I think this Juve team is better than Bayern of 2011-12. Just slightly.

Well obviously - Madrid lost.

As long as they beat Valencia they should be fine. That would provide great momentum and another tough test. It would also give whoever plays in CM a tough game where they must play well. IMO Varane's a weakness at CB and Ramos at CM.. and Gareth Bale. Take Varane out. Give Illa or Silva a try and Bale has a chance to shine in a big game. If Bale flops again - Ancelotti has to drop him for the return leg.

This Madrid team is much better at controlling games at the highest level than the Mourinho side. If they can get in the lead of the tie, they'll win it imo. But there's a good chance that won't happen.

If Juventus get through I can't see Chiellini not getting another yellow card in the second semi to put him out of the final

Nailed on yellow card whatever happens.

Still remember that annoying Sky Sports dude taking immense pleasure in breaking it to Ivanovic that he would miss the final.

At least one of the Madrid lads will get a yellow too. Even James. Although my money's on Marcelo.

There's no chance Madrid could beat Barcelona without Modric anyway imo.

Let's take a look at Bale's night in numbers...

0 - shots on target, tackles and chances created. Although the Welshman did have one shot blocked.

18 - total passes - the fewest of all Real's players, and three fewer than the total made by goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

32 - total touches - again the fewest of any Real player, including Casillas, who had 36 touches of the ball.

I really cannot see Madrid blowing them away like some expect, Juventus are too experienced and organised for that to happen and it sounds like Pogba will be back.

Which makes them more solid as Pirlo will drop out, I love Pirlo but he can't keep up defensively anymore. Madrid might very well go through but it will be close.

I really cannot see Madrid blowing them away like some expect, Juventus are too experienced and organised for that to happen and it sounds like Pogba will be back.

Which makes them more solid as Pirlo will drop out, I love Pirlo but he can't keep up defensively anymore. Madrid might very well go through but it will be close.

Then again, just one goal forces Juventus to attack, and we all know how lethal Real are when they can play their counter attacking game. It's a really tough one to call, the time of Reals first goal (if they get one) will be huge.

I don't see it being like that to the point where Juventus sit in their box for 90 mins, they are not a typical Italian team (they can be when necessary)  but in general they won't.

They'll attack Madrid IMO, but they'll be smart about it. They won't go all out obviously, but I can see them attacking them while maintaining some defensive structure.

Even if Madrid did score first, I still believe they could get a result and I can definitely see them scoring. Madrid are rightly favourites as they only have to win at home, but I think it will be close and tense affair.

#fcbayern: Neuer; Rafinha, Benatia, Boateng, Bernat; Lahm, Alonso, Schweinsteiger; Thiago; Lewandowski, Muller.

#Barcelona: Ter Stegen, Alves, Piqué, Mascherano, Alba,  Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitić, Messi, Luis Suárez, Neymar

Wonder what John "systems don't matter in football" Carver makes of this game

Too much forrin DNA.  Needs moar Ryan Taylor.

Imagine Ryan Taylor on this pitch :lol: