NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

19 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

I would be interested to know if anyone can remember how much shirts have cost in previous years. I was trying to remember how much shirts cost when I was a kid. I vaguely remember £45 in the mid 90s. 

according to the BoE inflation calculator that means they are actually cheaper in real terms at £70 than they were at £45 in the mid 90s.

I couldn't find anything confirming previous prices though so maybe my memory is off. What I did find was an article that had researched shirt prices in the 80s expecting to show how expensive they are now. Well before my time I’m afraid, but the article said they had been surprised that actually shirts were comparably more expensive in the 80s compared to current prices by a significant margin. 

£70 still seems a lot to me, but they were always expensive, never a bargain. 

I don't know what the RRP was but you could always get them on 'offer' under Adidas. There seemed to be a lot of undercutting from various stores and different sort of gifts often included. For example you could get free printing, footballs or NUFC bags certain years. £25/£35 my dad seems to think he'd pay for me and my brother's. 

1 hour ago, FLUMPO235 said:

I would be interested to know if anyone can remember how much shirts have cost in previous years. I was trying to remember how much shirts cost when I was a kid. I vaguely remember £45 in the mid 90s. 

Funny you mention this, I was asking my Mam at the weekend how much she used to pay for my strips in the 90s when I was a kid and she reckoned about 30-35 quid so it's probably less than a quid a year it's gone up in that time. I'd say it was more or a rip off then that what it is now

Edited by jack j

I’m sure I bought the bar code shirt in 1990 for about £20-£25, shirts in the mid 90s around £30-35. Sizes have definitely changed over the years. I tried on my 97/98 shirt that I wore at the 98 Cup Final the other day (L) and it swamped me. In the Castore shirts I’m an XL.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

also back then you could keep a kit for a couple of years. 

Exactly. :lol: Godawful plastic betting logos weren't peeling off within a few washes back then. They were built to last, and still probably cheaper, even factoring-in inflation. Hence my 30 year old shirts being in better nick than Tyneside Life's Castore efforts that he's never had a problem with. 

Probably depends on the commercial deal on who manufactures and sells. Wolves have a deal where they have a  license for the castore logo and brand but they took up all manufacturing and selling in house. I think Cashley farmed the whole thing out.