NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

14 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

I’ve bought a couple of things from the club shop recently (for the first time in years) and I’m impressed with the quality from Castore. The gear is decent. I get what you’re saying re distribution networks but they’ve grown quite rapidly. They sponsor Cricket South Africa & the West Indies as well as some rugby union sides and McLaren F1. They’re a new brand but certainly not small time. 

They're all very niche teams in the grand scheme of things where the only people buying the shirts are local supporters in the main. As Izakaya says, someone like Nike could get their gear out to any part of the world in large numbers.

I'd still maintain they're small time as look who they work with compared to the major sports brands; not even the same league. How many retail outlets do Castore have in the UK/worldwide?

Also need to look at how sports retail is developing where major brands are making and selling their own products themselves and bypassing traditional sports shops. Nearly every major/middle ranking city has an Adidas/Nike/Puma retail outlet not to mention an online presence. This is important as it means the sports companies make more profit and in turn can offer better deals to clubs.

In many ways Nike/Adidas are replicating Ashley's Sports direct model of making and selling their own stuff; only difference is that Sports Direct brands aren't as premium.

Castore gear is relatively decent tbh.

I'd absolutely hate to revert to puma ffs, rotten gear. Short term I think castore is here to stay, and if we start doing well we are going to be a bit of jewel in their crown.

I'd take umbro tomorrow mind.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Castore gear is relatively decent tbh.

I'd absolutely hate to revert to puma ffs, rotten gear. Short term I think castore is here to stay, and if we start doing well we are going to be a bit of jewel in their crown.

I'd take umbro tomorrow mind.

Is it about quality or where we can get the best deal for the club, particularly where we want to be?

I think people are being short sighted when it comes to the quality of our shirts. Newcastle under Ashley is a completely different proposition to Newcastle under the new owners where were entitled to the same treatment as Man City/Borussia Dortmund in regards to Puma. Whoever we work with, it would be in our power to insist on quality products.

Castor currently have none to very few international distribution networks, no retail outlets overseas (how many in the UK?) And finally don't even have an app. This all matters as are they going to be able to meet our ambitions and also offer us a top deal? 

Why should we almost be a ginny pig for Castore as they develop?

6 minutes ago, macphisto said:

City/Borussia Dortmund in regards to Puma

Very small point from your overall very good point. Pumas attempts for these clubs is fucking shocking, on every level.

Ok it's about the best financial package and how many we can shift, but yes, personally I would like some decent quality gear tbh.

PSG is a complete non starter as they are a nothing club parading as a fashion brand, fuck that!

We aren't a big name yet, hopefully that will come. But kids on the streets of every city aren't going to buy an Adidas Newcastle shirt next season because we have lots of money. In time I'm very sure we will move to one of the more reputable brands.

I get where you are coming from though totally.

3 hours ago, macphisto said:

I'd bin Castore as soon as possible if I was the club. Not only are they small time but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow have links to Ashley given they provide the shirts for both Rangers and Newcastle. We should aim to create a similar partnership that Nike and PSG have together. PSG is more of a sub-brand of Nike/Jordan now than simply PSG merchandise and will allow us to maximise revenue from both supporters and non-supporters. Another big thing to consider are distribution networks, I travel a lot and I can't think of the last time I saw a Newcastle shirt overseas. With that in mind I'd go for Adidas or Nike, lesser extent Puma. I know Puma were our recent short makers but I can imagine they thought there was no point in them promoting our stuff overseas as no one would buy it. Castore simply don't have the networks to sell our stuff overseas in sufficient numbers.

Talking about Castore being small time, they remind me of Sandbanks which is owned by Jamie Redknapp. Trying to create a premium brand from nowhere (check out the prices of the jackets). Keep an eye out on Sky Sports as you'll see Neville and a few others wearing the brand. Flintoff has already been accused of promoting the brand on Top Gear.

Imagine Wor Jordan's [emoji38]

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

Very small point from your overall very good point. Pumas attempts for these clubs is fucking shocking, on every level.

We aren't a big name yet, hopefully that will come. But kids on the streets of every city aren't going to buy an Adidas Newcastle shirt next season because we have lots of money. In time I'm very sure we will move to one of the more reputable brands.

I didn't know that about Puma's other kits, I was thinking more along the lines of I couldn't see Ashley/Barnes/Charnley giving a toss about quality in the past.

I wonder if the club could front load any deals, as in tempt a sports company to give us a big deal that's comparative to some of the bid clubs? Say a 8 year deal that compares to the biggest deals now but wouldn't rise over the 8 years. There could also be penalties if we don't reach certain league positions, etc. I'm just thinking that we would be the perfect club for someone like New Balance who tried to break into the big time with Liverpool. Just a way to help with FFP.

I get where you're coming from with regards to building the brand with kids on the street but one aspect that I don't know about but could have a huge impact is the Saudi market. Will the Saudi's feel a sense of national pride to wear the shirt or not in the immediate future (particularly when we have Saudi sponsorship and not Fun88)? Population of 35.6 million with a median age of nearly 32 years and who all have decent disposable income (prime target group) could prove hugely significant.

1 hour ago, Izakaya said:

In order for me it would be;

Nike (or a sub brand like Jordan, SB or ACG)

New Balance 

Umbro 

First two would do for me, New Balance seemed to have done a decent job with Liverpool and would have given them great experience of selling football shirts.

I like how you mention ACG, this is complete fantasy but I'd be well up for going into partnership with someone like North Face if they ever tried to break into football (complete non-starter).

I wonder who we could get to sponsor our matchday clothing like Dsquared2 and Man City?

35 minutes ago, macphisto said:

First two would do for me, New Balance seemed to have done a decent job with Liverpool and would have given them great experience of selling football shirts.

I like how you mention ACG, this is complete fantasy but I'd be well up for going into partnership with someone like North Face if they ever tried to break into football (complete non-starter).

I wonder who we could get to sponsor our matchday clothing like Dsquared2 and Man City?

Berghaus is a north east company too...

Barbour for the Matchday and formal gear? 

👀

On 08/02/2022 at 12:07, cubaricho said:

I think Castore working with the new owners will eventually be class. We'll be the standout brand for them.

I got the new top,  - I really like it, best shirt in years for me, probably the best since Adidas, and better than a lot of theirs too.  Feels decent quality, and like the design with the collar and that. The only shit things are the garish sponsor (not their fault) and the sew-on badge (people seem to think any manufacturer would do that now).

I like having a different maker to most other teams too, so we don't share a template.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

14 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I got the new top,  - I really like it, best shirt in years for me, probably the best since Adidas, and better than a lot of theirs too.  Feels decent quality, and like the design with the collar and that. The only shit things are the garish sponsor (not their fault) and the sew-on badge (people seem to think any manufacturer would do that now).

I like having a different maker to most other teams too, so we don't share a template.

Adidas club badges are different quality compared to ours. I’m not anti Castore, but think they need to sort badge and then getting rid of that shit sponsor will fix the rest.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Adidas club badges are different quality compared to ours. I’m not anti Castore, but think they need to sort badge and then getting rid of that shit sponsor will fix the rest.

It’s no coincidence that immediately after the takeover they brought out the “retro” shirt, which is basically the current home shirt but with a stitched crest, no shit sponsor and a slightly different collar.

I have no doubt Ashley will have agreed the cheapest possible deal with them and their quality will be much better next season.