NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

“Staveley admitted they inherited contracts that were “very difficult” to extricate the club from, without harming their FFP position by paying penalty clauses. Castore, the kit suppliers, has another four seasons on its six-year deal. That is believed to be worth around £7m annually, while Spurs’ with Nike is reportedly worth £25m a season.”

https://theathletic.com/4423832/2023/04/22/newcastle-champions-league-ready/?source=user_shared_article

Upshot of the Athletic article in terms of Castore is that there are 4 seasons left to run and that we don’t want to pay penalty clauses to get out of it because it will adversely affect our FFP position.

It’s a good article, well worth a read as there’s a lot in there about our finances and how Europe would give us a lot more wiggle room in terms of FFP but also will bring extra challenges. 

Edit: What Jack said 

Edited by LV

Ashley/Charnley royally fucked the club was there any need to tie into Castore for 6 years. It can only be hoped that we get a larger percentage on the actual shirt sales than some of the bigger companies would offer.

Castore must be laughing their cocks off, why would they give up the golden goose that has fallen their way.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You would think you could convince a new manufacturer to pay a bit extra in order to pay Castore off. 

If we got Adidas on let’s say 20m a season deal we could pay off the Castore deal over the next 4 years and still be in the + surely?

40 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

If we got Adidas on let’s say 20m a season deal we could pay off the Castore deal over the next 4 years and still be in the + surely?

Depends what Castore wanted to be paid off, I guess? Or if there was a set fee for the cancellation of contract? I’m no expert, obviously, but am guessing you can’t just pay them a figure without them agreeing to it. For Castore it might not all be about the financial aspect, but exposure using our shirts, especially given media interest in the club and our ongoing success. 

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Ashley/Charnley royally fucked the club was there any need to tie into Castore for 6 years. It can only be hoped that we get a larger percentage on the actual shirt sales than some of the bigger companies would offer.

Castore must be laughing their cocks off, why would they give up the golden goose that has fallen their way.

I know castore have gone out of their way to say there is no connection between them, SD or Ashley. BUT I have no doubt* there wasn’t some sort of kickback or financial gain for Ashley directly from these deals. 

*obviously I have no evidence other than this is what slimy thieving cunts do. 

Maybe there are/were scales in the contract with regards to quality, availability, etc and the ever-frugal Mr Ashley characteristically chose the cheapest? 

So the basic level of quality (the cheapest) is where your gear is put together by blind Vietnamese orphans. For a bit extra you can have it made by partially sighted, mostly fingers in tact Indian surplus children. For a fistful of dollars more, your teamwear is manufactured by Mexican adolescents. Then, for prime merchandise, it can be produced by reasonably remunerated trained Turkish seamstresses. 

I just think that for teams like the England cricket team (I think some other international sides too, maybe West Indies?), a bunch of English rugby teams and maybe still Andy Murray, and others, to all be keen on being associated with Castore then they can't be all bad and perhaps those different organisations have varying levels of what they contractually define as being acceptable. 

Even though it doesn't excuse for the lack of quality we've experienced, and also Wolves, I get the impression we're getting what we paid for, which thanks to Ashley and Charnley, isn't great. 

I know that Athletic article revealed the contract has another 4 years to run, but I am predicting our FFP situation will have improved to the point where we will pay the break/penalty fee in the contract and bin them off in a couple years. Predict we will be in Adidas or Nike by 25/26 season at the latest. 

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

image.thumb.png.db6de2e9579a2308800a97fb5e570c72.png

seen the state of the players training gear? all the vinyl is peeling off.

jokers man, can't wait until we can bin them off. tinpot shite!

:lol: At least you know the fans are getting authentic club-level quality, I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Seems like we're going for white socks with our first kit next season!

Not a fan of that.

Worrying.  It’s the only bit of the kit I buy.