FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

For what it's worth that account has seemingly already been proved in the past to be a disinformation account with geopolitical motives. Not uncommon between the gulf states.

That being said, it's certainly hard to deflect an accusation like that when the very awarding of the tournament is based on corruption and money being no object.

Edited by ponsaelius

> Buy biggest sporting event

> Host World's biggest sporting event

> Invite the world to your country for biggest sporting event who otherwise practically have no interest in going to your country in an attempt to showcase your position on a global scale

> Ban alcohol days before start of biggest sporting event

Why host a world event (that you were never originally prepared for) if upholding conservative values ranks higher than fan experience for anyone that isn't local or of that culture? I understand if this was a local cultural or religious event, but it isn't. Think the only folks that will come out saying they enjoyed this one are the locals and fans of countries of the same culture.

Read that this is the rapist's WC. Women are apparently imprisoned if they report rape. Apparently some organization has come out and said that the cleaners in the barracks are in the danger zone. Maybe the FIFA president will feel like a raped woman in a month too.

51 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I'm curious about what the atmospheres will be like at the games now. If the vibe is proper flat then I doubt it'll be a very good tournament. 

I can say that Brazil, Argentina and Mexico are coming in masses for the World Cup. Atmosphere has been insane in Doha tonight for the arrival of the Brazilian teams. Saw somewhere there is over 100 000 mexicans expected in Doha and roughly 100 000 Brazilians and Argentinians combined.

Saudi is bringing huge following as well. Think media has made people forget it’s a World Cup after all and with 1 to 1.5 million foreigners expected in Qatar the atmosphere is bound to be crazy no matter what. 

I’m myself travelling there for the group stages and will report back. 

55 minutes ago, Flip said:

I can say that Brazil, Argentina and Mexico are coming in masses for the World Cup. Atmosphere has been insane in Doha tonight for the arrival of the Brazilian teams. Saw somewhere there is over 100 000 mexicans expected in Doha and roughly 100 000 Brazilians and Argentinians combined.

Saudi is bringing huge following as well. Think media has made people forget it’s a World Cup after all and with 1 to 1.5 million foreigners expected in Qatar the atmosphere is bound to be crazy no matter what. 

I’m myself travelling there for the group stages and will report back. 

That must mean that there are 92,000 Argentinians going because the Athletic are reporting that only 8,000 Brazilians are heading to Qatar.

https://theathletic.com/3636928/2022/11/11/qatar-world-cup-cost-fans/?amp=1

Edited by TheBrownBottle

57 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

The most perfect World Cup?

Yes, it was a classic.  Games played in ludicrous (occasionally dangerous) temperatures slowing every game to pedestrian pace, all capped off by the worst final in history.

Diana Ross still takes a better penalty than the average Englishman mind you :) 

Telling that journalists have suddenly all learned that accommodation (usually shit) isn’t cheap during tournaments and major events. No shit Oxbridge boy, only took you 10-20 years to realise now you can slag places off.

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

It’s bound to be a terrible tournament. But fear not. Like a phoenix rising in 2026, America will make the World Cup what it is meant to be once again. 

Unless you’ve gotta outside aircon or all the games are played at night I’d be surprised. Be good atmospheres though. 

The atmosphere at a lot of games will definitely be weird I think. Prohibitive cost of travel/accomodation will make it more middle class than usual. Crowds will be boosted by a lot of expats who live and work in the gulf, with a lot of neutralsl football fans in amongst that.

That said, a lot of the same was said beforehand about Russia but this was from a UK/Euro centric perspective. What actually happened was you still had loads of Mexicans, South Americans etc travelling who didn't see what all of the fuss was about.

Argentina - Saudi Arabia on Tuesday morning will be interesting from an atmosphere perspective. That's in the main stadium and both of those are expected to have very big followings. If it's crap then you probably can write off any hope of the usual colour.

Edited by ponsaelius

54 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The atmosphere at a lot of games will definitely be weird I think. Prohibitive cost of travel/accomodation will make it more middle class than usual. Crowds will be boosted by a lot of expats who live and work in the gulf, with a lot of neutralsl football fans in amongst that.

That said, a lot of the same was said beforehand about Russia but this was from a UK/Euro centric perspective. What actually happened was you still had loads of Mexicans, South Americans etc travelling who didn't see what all of the fuss was about.

Argentina - Saudi Arabia on Tuesday morning will be interesting from an atmosphere perspective. That's in the main stadium and both of those are expected to have very big followings. If it's crap then you probably can write off any hope of the usual colour.

All good points, though the difference with Russia is that it is a footballing country, not a tiny city state.

Personally, I’ve no real issue with the WC being held in the ME - it is a World Cup, after all.  As unedifying as it is, human rights abuses occur across swathes of the planet - and historically, said abuses don’t preclude major sports rocking up.  But a ME WC should be in Iran, KSA etc.  Large countries with sizeable footballing supports and histories (particularly Iran).  Holding a WC in Qatar is a bad joke. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All good points, though the difference with Russia is that it is a footballing country, not a tiny city state.

Personally, I’ve no real issue with the WC being held in the ME - it is a World Cup, after all.  As unedifying as it is, human rights abuses occur across swathes of the planet - and historically, said abuses don’t preclude major sports rocking up.  But a ME WC should be in Iran, KSA etc.  Large countries with sizeable footballing supports and histories (particularly Iran).  Holding a WC in Qatar is a bad joke. 

If the Middle Eastern world cup is about shining a light on the area and bringing together nations in peace and harmony then games should have been played across the whole region with the Final in Qatar. Probably a shit idea security wise but it would have made a better spectacle. 

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

If the Middle Eastern world cup is about shining a light on the area and bringing together nations in peace and harmony then games should have been played across the whole region with the Final in Qatar. Probably a shit idea security wise but it would have made a better spectacle. 

100% agreed mate.  A ME WC would have been far more appropriate- and like you say, have Qatar host the final if that’s what is agreed.

Of course, we know the intention was no such thing.  This is about Qatar’s soft power - and also serves as a reminder to the world that it exists.  Much harder for a larger local despot to roll the tanks in if the west has actually heard of it. 

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That must mean that there are 92,000 Argentinians going because the Athletic are reporting that only 8,000 Brazilians are heading to Qatar.

https://theathletic.com/3636928/2022/11/11/qatar-world-cup-cost-fans/?amp=1

Yeah, no that’s definitely not the case :lol: highly doubt we’ll see 90k+ Argentinians. 

The numbers I saw were based on Hayya Card (WC visa that you need a ticket for) so they could definitely be skewed or people might have regretted it all after applying. 

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

Yeah, no that’s definitely not the case :lol: highly doubt we’ll see 90k+ Argentinians. 

The numbers I saw were based on Hayya Card (WC visa that you need a ticket for) so they could definitely be skewed or people might have regretted it all after applying. 

I read that a lot of people with tickets have regretted once they discovered the costs of accomodation.

1 hour ago, mosstef said:

I read that a lot of people with tickets have regretted once they discovered the costs of accomodation.

Russia was more expensive in terms of accomodation (unless you are travelling solo or as a couple). Flights were more expensive for Brazil and SA if you were based in Europe. The big cost for Qatar is going to be alcohol and accessing these places as all hotels and restaurants are charging a fee just to be able to get into these venues.

Fifa should get loads of stick for even allowing Qatar to host this as they aren’t a footballing nation. But the notion that the World Cup is far more expensive this time around isn’t true from my experience right now. Media are twisting things to the extreme in terms of cost and most of is based on the prices of beer and luxury hotels (that have always been ridiculously prized during world cups).

Edited by Flip