FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

9 hours ago, Paullow said:

VERY surprising. You'd just naturally think they'd have figures in line with Man Utd and Man City - should be a big bonus for them.

Thought about this too but they have quite a few players that are missing due to their countries not qualifying or injury.

Anyone else, still feeling a bit weird about this tournament, and not yet getting the buzz for it? Think i'm still in Newcastle mode, and just want another game to continue our form tbh :lol:

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Anyone else, still feeling a bit weird about this tournament, and not yet getting the buzz for it? Think i'm still in Newcastle mode, and just want another game to continue our form tbh :lol:

Yeah I don't feel a thing really; nothing about it so far feels like a real World Cup. Plus it isn't even a year and a half since the Euros concluded.

Tbh, with a pessimistic hat on, some days I wake up feeling like I've reached a saturation point with football altogether. 

Got no buzz at all but it will kick in once the football starts.

Love watching new names come out of this tournament and will enjoy watching our lads play.

All the other stuff is going to be massively grim though. Once people start drinking there I’m sure things will kick off in a horrible fashion. Everyone loves talking about how inclusive football is and how it’s for everyone but this World Cup couldn’t really oppose that sentiment more.

They were named hosts it in an extremely corrupt fashion, they’ve killed people in large numbers to make it happen, they don’t want inclusivity and diversity and if you’re going to host a ‘world cup’ you need to buy into letting the world come to you in all its forms rather than dictating it the other way round. Otherwise, fuck off wanting to host it 

To be honest I had similar feelings in the build up to Russia World Cup (obvious reasons) and again to the Euros last year (COVID stuff, being hosted all over Europe) but once they got started the football was great in both tournaments so you quickly forgot. It will be interesting to see if that happens again - because there's far more issues this time than before.

While I far prefer NUFC to England I do think international tournaments are better than club football. Love the concentrated nature of the games and the more chaotic nature of how the teams are assembled. It is an antidote to the money dominated nature of club football and squad building - which is ironic considering all the other issues with how international football is organised.

Must admit, I can't wait for this to start now. A more traditional, bigger, less controversial location would have obviously been preferable, but once the matches start, I'm sure it will just feel like a normal tournament, and while I do have most of the paywall channels, it's great that there'll be so much live football on normal TV.

In fact, selfishly, while I'm sure somewhere like Australia could do a great job hosting this, and would be a better experience for those attending, as an armchair fan, I'd actually probably prefer this to be in Qatar with matches at 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm UK than like 12am, 3am, 6am, 9am, in the same way I'd much rather Fury vs Usyk happened in Saudi than Las Vegas (if it couldn't be in the UK). I've never had an issue watching big events in the Middle East on TV, long before our takeover, so won't be having them now. Hopefully the conditions / temperature etc. won't have too much impact on the football on display.

The players blatantly want to be play, all those Brazilian selection videos, recent Maddison and Wilson interviews etc. players potentially saving themselves over the weekend, so they will be treating it as a normal tournament, and after a few days, I'd imagine pretty much all the ITV/BBC build up will be focussing on the actual football.

I'm starting to watch a lot more build up shows (that focus on the football) so am definitely getting the bug now.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

It’s crazy right? :lol:  However, I have to say that despite the accommodation nightmare, the logistics have never been as easy for a WC as this one. You could potentially watch all four games in a day live if you wanted. Only Al Bayt stadium is outside Doha and it’s roughly 45minutes-1hour with metro+bus.