FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

Canada & Mexico for 2026 as well. USA can't ruin it on their own this time.

I do like the idea of going back 30 odd years later to see how football has developed there. It certainly boosted public interest and gave it a springboard. I'm sure the US will do a good job this time. Would be a great WC to do. Visit those 3 countries at once.

Edited by Dokko

The Qatari authorities are aware that fans will be meeting up in huge numbers, literally by the thousand, in public places arnt they?

Everyone singing, dancing, shouting, blocking roads, being rowdy, at 3AM. What could possibly go wrong...

Do the Qataris think that the fans will stick to the fan zones when not at a match?

1 hour ago, Flip said:

Yeah, no that’s definitely not the case :lol: highly doubt we’ll see 90k+ Argentinians. 

The numbers I saw were based on Hayya Card (WC visa that you need a ticket for) so they could definitely be skewed or people might have regretted it all after applying. 

Yeah, it seemed odd - Brazil normally take big numbers and Argentina don’t usually outstrip them in ticket sales.

Ah well, I suspect the Brazilians who are there will have a good time watching the games (though not in a samba-style atmosphere).  Can’t see anyone but the Selecao winning it (would be good to watch Bruno win it too)

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

The Qatari authorities are aware that fans will be meeting up in huge numbers, literally by the thousand, in public places arnt they?

Everyone singing, dancing, shouting, blocking roads, being rowdy, at 3AM. What could possibly go wrong...

Do the Qataris think that the fans will stick to the fan zones when not at a match?

They are, and there were no problems when over 5k fans welcomed the Brazilian players to their hotel last night. The question of alcohol is a cultural one, but even then it’s allowed in certain places. People are walking around in shorts which is considered rude and no one cares. I’m getting there Thursday and promise to keep you lot posted. I’m expecting the atmosphere to be better than in any other World Cup as all fans will be staying in one city only and not spread out over countries the size of Brazil and Russia.

Just now, Flip said:

They are, and there were no problems when over 5k fans welcomed the Brazilian players to their hotel last night. The question of alcohol is a cultural one, but even then it’s allowed in certain places. People are walking around in shorts which is considered rude and no one cares. I’m getting there Thursday and promise to keep you lot posted. I’m expecting the atmosphere to be better than in any other World Cup as all fans will be staying in one city only and not spread out over countries the size of Brazil and Russia.

Less alcohol and no Italians or Russians should equal less fights as well. 

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Less alcohol and no Italians or Russians should equal less fights as well. 

I mean, I’ve never experienced fighting at a World Cup tbh. Well except the 7-1 when a few Brazilians started fighting inbetween themselves, but that was minor. Seen some brawls here or there, but nothing that wasn’t dealt with in two seconds. In fact, i hope anyone causing bother is taken to a jail without a roof in the desert. :)

7 minutes ago, Flip said:

I mean, I’ve never experienced fighting at a World Cup tbh. Well except the 7-1 when a few Brazilians started fighting inbetween themselves, but that was minor. Seen some brawls here or there, but nothing that wasn’t dealt with in two seconds. In fact, i hope anyone causing bother is taken to a jail without a roof in the desert. :)

The euros are usually the worst. Lots of countries holding grudges against each other. Usually England has a target on their back for the sins of our fathers, but drunk English fans will unite and fight when attacked. Italians and French are organised trouble makers. No alcohol, knives, and targeted. Russians even worse when they get a chance to get involved, but less effective as they can't go 5mins without a drink like the English. Poland have had their fair share as well.

Of course, sweeping generalisation, and it's only a minority, but things do escalate, especially when we'll planned. It would be nice if this one is the one where everyone is together and dare not get out of line due to tough laws. I'm sure as long as 2 men don't kiss each other everyone will be fine. 

English football has a huge problem with coked up young chavs at league games. Can't see that translating to this tournament though. Too expensive and I'd imagine impossible to get hold of over there, so I'm hoping only a higher class of fan can make it. Mind, most England fans I've seen so far are paid actors. Quite happy for that to be our image out of this. 

Looks an absolute shambles before a ball has been kicked. 
Again if proof were needed of how rotten to the core  FIFA must be. 

I’m personally struggling to get any enthusiasm for it anyway, perhaps it’s because I’m enjoying NUFC for the first time in 20 years

Also had a statement email from my company saying due to human rights issues in the country we’ll not be promoting or televising any games in our offices (we have Chinese owners!)

Edited by RS

Just now, RS said:

Looks an absolute shambles before a ball has been kicked. 
Again if proof we’e needed of how rotten to the core  FIFA must be. 

I’m personally struggling to get any enthusiasm for it anyway, perhaps it’s because I’m enjoying NUFC for the first time in 20 years

Also had a statement email from my company saying due to human rights issues in the country we’ll not be promoting or televising any games in our offices (we have Chinese owners!)

😂

26 minutes ago, astraguy said:

All of it is adding up to the incompetently run car crash which was utterly predictable.

Money being utterly misspent on badly run projects is the norm in that part of the world.  It always brings a smile on my face when people talk about our true owners being super smart and demanding the highest quality.  Construction projects in the Arabian peninsula are notorious for over-promising and underdelivering - while being mind-warpingly wasteful with money

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

I don’t feel any hype for this, and any hype I do see seems forced. It feels a bit like sports competitions during covid, we’re doing it because it has to be done and people need paying.

Is that the sentiment in the UK? Because certainly isn’t in Latin America. I do think fact it’s in November/December destroys the ”visible hype” as it’s winter time and dark for most of the day. In Denmark the hype is real, but probably has to do with the team being ridiculously good.

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

Is that the sentiment in the UK? Because certainly isn’t in Latin America. I do think fact it’s in November/December destroys the ”visible hype” as it’s winter time and dark for most of the day. In Denmark the hype is real, but probably has to do with the team being ridiculously good.

There’s all the normal ads, articles and whatever but as there’s only been a week of dedicated buildup it hasn’t been anything like usual. Sure it’ll pick up after Mondays game though.