FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

On 08/10/2023 at 10:52, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, for a 32 team WC.  2030 is 48.

I don’t think Qatar was suitable in any way, shape or form BTW.  But Australia most assuredly could not host a WC next month.  All of this would be compounded by the small local population, general lack of real interest in football, being a time zone nightmare for most football fans and its distance from anywhere that isn’t NZ meaning that travel to it isn’t easy wouldn’t be great, nor would the massive distance between actual cities.

This country isn’t an ideal venue for a WC - though the weather in June would at least be temperate.  

There would be a massive interest in the WC but the NRL and AFL will doing anything to stop it.

Time zone argument is out of the window after a very successful Japan/SK World Cup.

Travel to Australia/NZ I’ll grant you but the distance between cities is no different to the US/Canada.

The main problem I could see would be the lack of hotel rooms for a WC that size.

I think 1966 and 1996 were memorable only to England. Can only really speak for Euro 96 and for whatever reason it was poor if were honest. USA 94 on the other hand was fantastic. I'd give a WC to America before England every day and I'm English.

At this point we may as well just say the World Cup starts with the qualifiers and everybody is a joint host. Just designate a neutral venue for the knockouts and be done with it and just skip the inevitable 92 team tournament in 21 co-host venues shit show.

Edited by Jonas

1 hour ago, andycap said:

What was so good about usa94 like? All the kick offs were terrible for European fans to watch. The final was piss poor. Cannot remember the, stadiums filling out either. 

That's wrong on all counts except the shit final but then most finals are.

*Most of them were literally on in Prime Time 6-11pm. A lot better than half the games on during work/school or morning's (Japan/Korea) - they changed the times to suit Europe. And its no different to Brazil or Mexico (home of two well remembered tournaments)

*It was the best attended world cup in history. The average attendance was 69,000, smallest 44,000 which was as big as it got at Euro96 outside of Wembley and the average or above of previous world cups and was far more full despite the stadium sizes.

There was arguements at the time as to whether it was the best or best since 1970. And neither of the next two were close.

Edited by Jonas

Yes, I know that the World Cup is not going there now, but do you prefer that a World Cup in Australia be placed in June-July or in November-December. You almost became depressed when the ladies had their WC in 5 degrees.

• 3 months later...

New York and Boston sounds cooler than New Jersey and Foxborough like it did in 94 apparently.

Nobody gives a shit where the games are now. Can see why they did it then, when wc's had a local flavour

Edited by Jonas