FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

18 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think too much is being made of the referee.

I like the fact VAR is leaning heavily on the referee's in game decision. The foul on Saka was definitely a foul but it happens such a long time before the goal that i'm not overly upset over it. There was a lot of football to play and defending to do. The biggest issue was being overly concerned with Mbappe, midfielders being too deep and allowing Tchou the free shot.

The Kane foul, was a foul but not a penalty. The ref missed it, play on - it wasn't a penalty.

The fact he didn't blow for the penalty was annoying but VAR corrected it.

Biggest issues was over focus on Mbappe and Southgate not making substitutions based on what was happening on the field and game state. He had Walker babysitting Mbappe for 100 minutes. Shaw ended up being the best crosser of the ball when we were chasing and a right-side of Walker and Sterling. We needed Trippier/Trent and to leave Saka on until his legs went. Rashford needed to come on earlier. And we shouldn't have ended the game with Rice & Bellingham. Silly penalty aside - we didn't create any good opportunities at 2-1 down.

Yep, this all feels like classic English scapegoating to me re the referee.  We created very little from open play despite France really not being on their game.  The Kane foul wasn't a pen, so couldn't be brought back.

It didn't especially feel like a football robbery to me - England huffed and puffed and created nowt, and fell asleep for the two French goals.

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Racking my brains thinking someone must have been better than Acuna, but no one immediately comes to mind. Would have said Hernandez but he's been rash in the box and should have given away another pen last night.

Slim pickings for most positions tbh, normally have to put a bit of thought into it but Bellingham v Enzo was the only one where someone didn't immediately spring to mind. Shaw would be a pretty decent shout for LB, or maybe Blind.

On 15/12/2022 at 19:11, LiquidAK said:

The Messi doc on iPlayer is so good. Man I hope this ends with him lifting the cup

Just watched it myself and it's really good but I'm always left wanting more.

Can't wait until there's a Last Dance length documentary on just him.

I think it’ll be tough to make a long series documentary about Messi as his character for the vast majority of his career has been shy and withdrawn. I can’t imagine him wanting to take part in lots of interviews or if he did, actually disclosing that much. Would happily just watch a documentary that goes through season-by-season his best moments and other people commentating on how he did incredible things, especially his opponents who had to defend against him 

I'd prefer that really. His life story is worth knowing but I've heard Balague and Graham Hunter tell the same story and speak for him enough. 

Not enough is made of his form immediately after 2014 World Cup imo and it's probably my favourite version of Messi, so I'd like to see that in a bit more depth.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'd prefer that really. His life story is worth knowing but I've heard Balague and Graham Hunter tell the same story and speak for him enough. 

Not enough is made of his form immediately after 2014 World Cup imo and it's probably my favourite version of Messi, so I'd like to see that in a bit more depth.

That's what I enjoyed about the doc tbh. Just laying it all out there in terms of how each tournament went and how he reacted, all building to that Copa America and now this WC. Even without many interviews with him it really helped build that picture of the story of his career. Almost feels too perfect for it to end on him winning the biggest thing of all :lol:

I've not quite "felt" this World Cup, just due to events surrounding it, however the actual football has been quality all over, and it'll rightly go down as one of the best on record.