FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

• 4 months later...

A single host country is better, but I think it's become very hard to many single countries to host the World Cup (or Olympics) so I'm fine with Morocco, Portugal, and Spain as co-hosts. It's only a few games but so needless to add the South America part. If you want it there for the 100th anniversary then just put it there. 

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

A single host country is better, but I think it's become very hard to many single countries to host the World Cup (or Olympics) so I'm fine with Morocco, Portugal, and Spain as co-hosts. It's only a few games but so needless to add the South America part. If you want it there for the 100th anniversary then just put it there. 

Yeah there are very few countries who could pull off hosting the tournament single-handedly (I’d think Spain would be one of them, logistically/infrastructure-wise). I do like regional co-hosts provided it makes sense, which of course this one doesn’t. I’m not sure USA-Mexico-Canada makes sense either tbh.

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Yeah there are very few countries who could pull off hosting the tournament single-handedly (I’d think Spain would be one of them, logistically/infrastructure-wise). I do like regional co-hosts provided it makes sense, which of course this one doesn’t. I’m not sure USA-Mexico-Canada makes sense either tbh.

Spain definitely does, has the high speed rail and airports for it etc.

The issue is the 48 team expansion means it has to have Portugal and Morocco.

25 minutes ago, Ben said:

WTF, ridiculous idea, looks like the World Cup is fucked now.

Makes me appreciate the competency of the FA and the PL, FIFA.

Utterly fucking corrupt to the core. It's like Italian football in the 00s on steroids

52 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think most of us are perfectly fine with Morocco Portugal and Spain. It’s the rest of it that’s complete bollocks.

I actually don't think the Spain - Portugal - Morroco World Cup sounds that bad tbh. At least the other countries are just 3 games but I wouldn't like to be the teams that have to do the needless travelling. 

Its a shame that the thing is so expensive to host these days that countries are opting to share pretty much every competition now (including the Euros). I think it had a lot more character when it was all in the one country. 

Edited by Decky

Apparently inviting bids from Oceania and Asia for 2034.

Hope Australia sit this one well the fuck out after what happened with the 2022 sham.  They'd have the best bid, but no way them or anyone else is winning against the Saudis.

Rather taxpayers money went elsewhere, and that the money saved by the PIF not having to bribe everyone is redirected to Newcastle getting another marquee signing or two.

21 minutes ago, Pandamninator said:

Apparently inviting bids from Oceania and Asia for 2034.

Hope Australia sit this one well the fuck out after what happened with the 2022 sham.  They'd have the best bid, but no way them or anyone else is winning against the Saudis.

Rather taxpayers money went elsewhere, and that the money saved by the PIF not having to bribe everyone is redirected to Newcastle getting another marquee signing or two.

Australia’s 2022 bid was a delusional mess, replete with arguments with other codes.  Australia is only marginally a less shit choice than Qatar - bad for most of the world’s population time-zone and travel-wise; small population and not a football country; plus a general lack of suitable stadia.  

22 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Australia’s 2022 bid was a delusional mess, replete with arguments with other codes.  Australia is only marginally a less shit choice than Qatar - bad for most of the world’s population time-zone and travel-wise; small population and not a football country; plus a general lack of suitable stadia.  

Australia would put on a first class world cup. Did you not just see the record breaking numbers for the women? In fact we're one of teh few countries in the world with all the existing stadia and infrastructure. We could put on a world cup with a month's notice.

The instant support of the Asian Confederation for the Saudi bid is not going down well in Oz...

Could the AFC split into two confederations? - FTBL | The home of football in Australia

12 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Australia would put on a first class world cup. Did you not just see the record breaking numbers for the women? In fact we're one of teh few countries in the world with all the existing stadia and infrastructure. We could put on a world cup with a month's notice.

The instant support of the Asian Confederation for the Saudi bid is not going down well in Oz...

Could the AFC split into two confederations? - FTBL | The home of football in Australia

Yes, I was here in Sydney during the WWC.  A mens WC is a very, very different beast.  

Australia doesn’t have the stadia at all.  The NRL and AFL were acting the silly buggers last time.  I mean, I’m sure old Gladys knows a few contractors who can sort out some stadium builds - just as long as we don’t let ICAC know :)

A bid needs a minimum of sixteen 40,000+ all seater stadiums.  Australia has 10, and that’s allowing for venues wholly unsuited to football (ie cricket grounds).