Charlie Austin

HawK

Hate that me tbh. Saints and Villa man, f*** that. I know we are ran by idiots but Newcastle should be going all out to get him, selling the club as if it's the biggest.

Ha, we're more likely to sell ourselves as a stepping stone to going to Southampton. :lol:

Actually, it's not :lol: at all, it's fucking true and it's fucking depressing.

I am no accountant, but did it not look pretty suspicious that we had the highest wage bill considering how small our squad is and how crap most of our players are? I know there may be some hang over from the old days, the likes of Jonas and Colo being on big money and I reckon we probably got the likes of Sissoko/Cabaye/Remy/Debuchy to come in on big money as well but outside of that who is getting that £78.3 million? When the reporting came through didn't our operating costs go up hugely as well out of no where in a time where player trading was at a minimum?

Either way, I'm sure losing the likes of HBA, MYM, Jonas and Santon will have cleared quite a bit of that expenditure.

Agree with your last point. But when we had that strong squad for awhile I reckon we had a lot of player on big wages. MYM, Colo, Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Sissoko, Debuchy, Cisse, Santon, HBA around that time period.

Not now however. I suspect Krul, Saylor, Janmaat, Tiote, Sissoko, Cabella, Cisse, Colo & De Jong to be on decent wedge but the rest? Can't be.

Being able to afford good wages is what has traditionally allowed us to outgun all other PL clubs outside the top 6.

For a long time we could out spend or pay more money in wages than every other club except Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea & L'pool. Obviously City jumped above us. Since Ashley has taken over Spurs have established themselves as the closest continual challengers. I wouldn't be surprised to see other clubs catch us up. West Ham, Swansea & Southampton. In terms of buying power.

Hate that me tbh. Saints and Villa man, f*** that. I know we are ran by idiots but Newcastle should be going all out to get him, selling the club as if it's the biggest.

Do you actually believe at the moment we are a bigger club then Southampton in terms of football credibility?

Even if you do, Austin and his agents won't and will expect more money to come.

Definitely think there's something in this but in his position I'd wait too to see if we sign some great players. Big commitment from him to sign this early when last summer our spending tailed off and we were left with just an ok squad.

Do you actually believe at the moment we are a bigger club then Southampton in terms of football credibility?

Ashley may have brainwashed the world into thinking we're not a big club, but imo were a massive club. Worlds bigger than Southampton

Ashley may have brainwashed the world into thinking we're not a big club, but imo were a massive club. Worlds bigger than Southampton

Reality is though that we are not though, at least we don't act like one so it's all irrelevant.

In the past matchday revenue was the largest proportion of most clubs' revenue. We have matchday revenues ahead of anyone outside of the top 4-5 clubs which gave us much greater spending power than anyone outside of the top 4-5 clubs.

However, matchday revenue is now a small proportion of overall revenue, most of it comes from premier league TV revenue which has increased 27 fold since 1997 and is relatively evenly spread across the league. So, unlike just 5 or so years ago, all established premiership clubs are pretty much as rich as each-other (aside from Man U, Arsenal and the oil clubs). Differences in matchday and commercial revenue have much less of an impact on spending power than they did in the past (aside maybe from Man United and Arsenal because theirs is so much greater than everyone else).

With the TV deal as it is, financially, we're just simply not significantly bigger than the likes of Southampton.

Also the fact we pay up front for transfers, whilst laudable, puts us at a disadvantage because we cannot afford to pay as high a transfer fee as our rivals e.g. Everton and Lukaku. 

Sadly, he is worth 15m easy. More the state of the game than anything mind.

Well he's worth whatever people are willing to pay for him.  There will be competition and so the price will naturally rise.  £15m wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

tbh we paid 6 for Riviere so i'd have no issues with us paying 15 for someone who is so much better. It would give the club a major major lift also.

Riviere was £1.8m. The club did the usual trick of including his wages, etc. for the duration of his contract.

Source: journalist at France Football.