England: Thomas Tuchel signs 18 month contract with England from Jan 1 2025 (Official)

Nobody

Big coup for England I think, especially as top class managers don't tend to bother with international football these days, he's certainly the biggest name England have had since Capello was appointed 15 years ago.

Might be an ignorant question, but what difference does the nationality of the manager actually have? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue in other sports or the women's team for that matter. Is it because they should understand the mentality of the fans better? Will their patriotism inspire the players more or give themselves more motivation?

I wouldn't say the players need any more inspiration and unlike Capello, we have a manager who has lived in England and speaks good English. At Newcastle we had a manager from Spain who seemed to understand the fans better than someone who grew up in the region. 

Surely playing and managing mostly abroad is a good thing too as he'll be more familiar with different styles that we'll be playing against.

12 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Might be an ignorant question, but what difference does the nationality of the manager actually have?

As far as I'm concerned it's the entire point of international football, nothing more than that. You might as well ask why does the England left back have to be English? If you want to just get whoever you think the best is regardless of nationality, I believe football also has a club game that caters to that.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, it doesn’t really matter what happens after we win the World Cup :lol:

Spoiler

You wake up and go to work. :yao:

If England win the world cup on American Soil we're putting the fucking tea back in the water.

24 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Might be an ignorant question, but what difference does the nationality of the manager actually have? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue in other sports or the women's team for that matter. Is it because they should understand the mentality of the fans better? Will their patriotism inspire the players more or give themselves more motivation?

I wouldn't say the players need any more inspiration and unlike Capello, we have a manager who has lived in England and speaks good English. At Newcastle we had a manager from Spain who seemed to understand the fans better than someone who grew up in the region. 

Surely playing and managing mostly abroad is a good thing too as he'll be more familiar with different styles that we'll be playing against.

Well i think if we take a step back and think what international football is all about to the majority of people is thought of a countries best players and coaching staff versus another’s. It doesn’t really get much deeper than that.

Obviously over time the need to win or develop is so great that the odd country has imported players and coaching staff which has blurred the original point of it all.

Marc Guehi moved to England when he was 1 ffs :lol:

"The England manager should be English" is a perfectly valid opinion and acting like it's something only a mouthbreather would say is just daft.

I'm happy Tuchel's got it purely to end the Howe conversation.

Howe aside, which English manager would you have taken?

As a disgusting forrin, if this thread was about hiring Carlsley full time after losing to Greece or Pardew or whoever. I'd be fucking delighted. You got a lad on a tractor to drive your Lambo. Cheers from the USA.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

As a disgusting forrin, if this thread was about hiring Carlsley full time after losing to Greece or Pardew or whoever. I'd be fucking delighted. You got a lad on a tractor to drive your Lambo. Cheers from the USA.

Think Graham Potter would give it a good go

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've never paid much attention to who is in the running, but it would have to be between Potter, O'Neil or Edwards aye?

Or that ginger lad at Lens (English parents iirc).

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think Graham Potter would give it a good go

Feels like his time at Chelsea and the fact that Brighton have kept it pushing did his profile a lot of damage.

46 minutes ago, Wullie said:

As far as I'm concerned it's the entire point of international football, nothing more than that. You might as well ask why does the England left back have to be English? If you want to just get whoever you think the best is regardless of nationality, I believe football also has a club game that caters to that.

35 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Well i think if we take a step back and think what international football is all about to the majority of people is thought of a countries best players and coaching staff versus another’s. It doesn’t really get much deeper than that.

Obviously over time the need to win or develop is so great that the odd country has imported players and coaching staff which has blurred the original point of it all.

I can appreciate these views. In a way it does seem odd the manager can be any nationality given they are clearly very influential on the team. I was more wondering what benefit it would have as I got the impression this was important to people rather than based on what international football is about.

Thing is if the manager and coaches should also be English then I don't know where you would stop - kit man, medical staff, cooks? All clearly important to making the team what it is, yet like the managing and coaching staff they are differentiated from the people that need to be English because the latter are the ones who are on the pitch.

Ironically Tuchel has probably lived in England a lot longer than a lot of players and their respective countries they represent.

Edited by St. Maximin

9 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Ironically Tuchel has probably lived in England a lot longer than a lot of players and their respective countries they represent.

Has he? He was manager of Chelsea for like 18 months. He was hardly part of the furniture like eg Wenger had become. 

Not relevant to my position at all mind you.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Only England could go from a potential Lee Carsley appointment to Thomas Tuchel, and then have the fans twist that he was born in the wrong country. 

That's what makes me think it was never going to Carsley, or he never wanted it. Otherwise it's a sudden and dramatic change of strategy. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Has he? He was manager of Chelsea for like 18 months. He was hardly part of the furniture like eg Wenger had become. 

Not relevant to my position at all mind you.

As in you get a lot of players who play for the countries of their parents/grandparents. In a way that seems odd to me too because they aren't representing the country that directly helped develop them.

I like it purely because it's not Howe and on that basis I love it tbh, greatest appointment ever. Beyond that I don't think it's a good appointment at all tbh. Even when Tuchel's successful and not falling out with people, he has a very clear use by date of 1 year. Weirdly I think it's also a bad appointment for him, an international appointment should be beneath him unless he's looking for something a bit more laid back. 

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Only England could go from a potential Lee Carsley appointment to Thomas Tuchel, and then have the fans twist that he was born in the wrong country. 

On the contrary, I think if the boot were on the other foot, the German FA would hire the manager of Hansa Rostock u13s before they would dream of hiring an Englishman (or any other nationality other than German). They would find it quite the humiliation to have to look outside of Germany.