England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

What's the issue? He's our Under 21 keeper. Better to give him experience in the squad than go and pick a 5th-6th choice keeper in his late 20s who'll never be called up again.

He has a grand total of zero PL appearances and just 11 pro appearances, it's utterly ridiculous and i hate to be that guy but he's only being picked because of who he's contracted to.

What's the issue? He's our Under 21 keeper. Better to give him experience in the squad than go and pick a 5th-6th choice keeper in his late 20s who'll never be called up again.

He has a grand total of zero PL appearances and just 11 pro appearances, it's utterly ridiculous and i hate to be that guy but he's only being picked because of who he's contracted to.

He's been a regular for Norwich and pretty much taken over from Pickford as the Under 21 keeper.Not sure what the problem is or indeed what it's got to do with Man City.

If Rafa has his way, Abraham and Loftus-Cheek would have been the first Newcastle players (loan) called up since, Carroll? Or perhaps Townsend? We were also strongly linked with Maguire, but he might have been on our NO pre-Lejeune wish list, rather than a serious Rafa target.

There has to be a reason he's not getting called up. Solanke has barely played this season.

Southgate lives in Greendale the thought of picking a personality like Jonjo just wouldnt sit well.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/gareth-southgate-reveals-why-he-didn-t-call-up-newcastle-s-jonjo-shelvey-1-8852172

“He plays deeper, plays almost in the quarter-back position for his club. We were needing something a little bit different for these games.”

We needed something a little bit different, so I've brought 3 defensive midfielders.

The bloke is an absolute plum.

There's obviously a heavy bias towards his old England youth team players, and whether they're doing anything for their clubs isn't of much concern. It looks stupid and maybe St Georges Park will start looking like a little club, but I suppose it is different.

Guest Howaythetoon

It baffles me how much criticism an England team selection can draw. People piss and moan when the same old managers get the same old jobs, and yet here we have the England manager calling up unknowns and prospects and not the usual suspects or players he could easily call up.

I liked what I saw against Germany the other night from what I watched, we seem to have a crop of good young players, nothing great, but decent enough for this level which I feel is a standard below the CL these days, even at World Cup level.

I wouldn't have went for Southgate personally at the time who may be a good coach and a good man, but I feel he lacks character to turn a decent team into a winning one, but he's young, English and seems to be doing OK and therefore I want him to do well. Even if only just to break the never ending cycle of managers like Big Sam, Moyes, Pardew, Hughes et al.

Ironically I think Shelvey would look good at international level as he will have more time and space, and I'm sure his call up will come if he keeps playing well for us.

It does make me wonder though about some player call ups, whether it's agent driven to add an extra few bob to their players' value in the transfer market. Abraham and Loftus Cheek for example will probably cost a club 20m or more each regardless of how well they do for their clubs now that they are a full England international.

The England senior team has a good future though it appears. Sometimes a team doesn't need superstars or great players, it just needs to be a good team and thee is no denying England are a good team, even the 'B' team and obviously the youth teams what with their success.

Guest neesy111

Agree with the piss and moaning, it's ridiculous people complained about England picking the same players etc in the past, do something different and same moans for different reasons.

People are seeing Shelvey's inclusion with massive black and white specs on imo.  He's been nothing but average for me this season for us since he got back into the team imo and if England are wanting to play a passing game, then he's not what you want with his hollywood style passes.