England

Yorkie

Fairly certain Lascelles is gonna be in the next England squad tbh.

Has to be, nobody in that defence is capable of organising them like he could. Ok this lot might look good with their passing out of defence but they get given so much time to do it anyone could.

I can't stand the English players not getting opportunities argument. It sounds like bullshit & excuses to me, if they're good enough, they play. Just look at Rashford, that season Man Utd paid about £50m for Martial yet Rashford started over him time and time again.

There's plenty of opportunities for English youth players.

I can't stand the English players not getting opportunities argument. It sounds like bullshit & excuses to me, if they're good enough, they play. Just look at Rashford, that season Man Utd paid about £50m for Martial yet Rashford started over him time and time again.

Martial started more PL games than Rashford did this season. Loftus Cheek has barely played for Chelsea in the last however many years he's been there and they buy Drinkwater and Barkley instead of playing RLC. It's got to be a bit of a worry

That's just silly. How can a player be 'good enough' at 18/19 when there's a ready made alternative somewhere else in the world that a Premier League can easily afford with many years of first team football behind them? Even if they're supremely talented at that age, they still don't have the experience of having played two or three hundred games, which we saw the other night when we looked incredibly naive against the Croatians.

Guest firetotheworks

Rashford is rubbish though. We just have a pretty average pool of players to choose from. Sterling is quality for Man City.

For Man City he is, but that's for Man City with a different set of players and tactics. Even for Man City he wastes countless chances.

Rashford may not have some of Sterling's strong points, but he's more positive-minded in that he likes to run at people, doesn't give the ball away so much and can actually beat a man, which in turn allows us to create more chances in front of goal.

I still don't understand what Sterling is doing to justify starting every single game. Can't beat a man, can't shoot, can't pass, can't even find a team-mate from 3 yards.

You mean apart from the one he put on a plate for Kane?

Needle in a haystack, sure. What else has he done? He gives possession away more than anybody else in the team.

How many assists does he have in this tournament? One?

How many shots did we have on target against Croatia?

How many times has he given away possession and sparked counter attacks for the opposition?

I never said he doesn't have impressive work-rate or movement because he does. He can use his pace to beat someone TO the ball. It's once he GETS the ball that we're in trouble. It's not pursuing an agenda or any of that nonsense. It's saying what we're all seeing on our TV for goodness sake. Is it part of our tactical set-up for him to lose the ball so much or miss golden chances?

Suggest an alternative then. He's clearly more effective than Rashford in that role.

I already said Jamie Vardy offers much more in that role. He's just as pacey as Sterling and works just as hard for the team. He chases down lost causes and even wins possession back for us at times as he's shown in this tournament.

:thup: He's very unfashionable, sadly.

Vardy's not unfashionable in the slightest in his own role, but his game is different enough from Sterling's that if you play him, the team's system is different so I understand why he's not played, particularly as we naively don't have the Shelvey type that you need for Vardy's game to work at all.

Martial started more PL games than Rashford did this season. Loftus Cheek has barely played for Chelsea in the last however many years he's been there and they buy Drinkwater and Barkley instead of playing RLC. It's got to be a bit of a worry

Doubt he did the season before though. Even still, Rashford played 35 games last season, that's without doubt enough opportunity. Loftus-Cheek got 31 games. Pickford has played two full seasons of top flight barely missing a game. Stones has been played consistently for like 3 seasons now, Abraham played 39 games last season. What more can we expect, realistically?

Guest firetotheworks

Hazard, man :drool:

Real Madrid are gonna love him.

He deserves to play for them.

He'll have to improve both his consistency and his  quality Real Madrid like, there's no way they'll be impressed by him as he is now, or stand for his one great season one poor/underpar season cycle that he's had.

That's just silly. How can a player be 'good enough' at 18/19 when there's a ready made alternative somewhere else in the world that a Premier League can easily afford with many years of first team football behind them? Even if they're supremely talented at that age, you still don't have the experience of having played two or three hundred games, which we saw the other night when we looked incredibly naive against the Croatians.

That's fair enough, but my argument is that they do get the opportunities at first team level, whether on loan or at their present clubs. Can you give an example of an English player who would have 'made it' but didn't get the opportunities as there were foreign players in their place? I can't think of any, hence if they're good enough, they get into their teams or get a transfer sooner than later.

That's just silly. How can a player be 'good enough' at 18/19 when there's a ready made alternative somewhere else in the world that a Premier League can easily afford with many years of first team football behind them? Even if they're supremely talented at that age, you still don't have the experience of having played two or three hundred games, which we saw the other night when we looked incredibly naive against the Croatians.

That's fair enough, but my argument is that they do get the opportunities at first team level, whether on loan or at their present clubs. Can you give an example of an English player who would have 'made it' but didn't get the opportunities as there were foreign players in their place? I can't think of any, hence if they're good enough, they get into their teams or get a transfer sooner than later.

This is a really weird question.

Martial started more PL games the season before too than Rashford

Rashford still kept Martial out of the team for long stints, though. I'm looking now and he made a total of 65 appearances last season in all competitions. There doesn't seem like much of an argument here to me. Fair enough if he only managed like 20. It's far from the case though.

Guest Howaythetoon

We look like a team missing a few final pieces of the jigsaw, we play good football and look like having the tournament’s top scorer which having will always take you far, we just lack creativity in midfield. Put Hazard and De Bruyne in that team and they would transform it like Robert and Bellamy transformed us.

All our players are decent enough with one or two really good, but central midfield we have players that aren’t creative, a player who can suddenly quicken the pace of the game via movement or slick one two passing. No-on in our midfield is capable of nitting up play.

We are a totally different team now though and we have the makings of a good team IMO.

This is arguably Belgium’s best team of all-time and although they won the game comfortably, the gap isn’t that big between them and us.

I think a fit and on for, Wilshere and Ox in this team and we would have maybe done much better against Croatia. We cannot rely on those two though and need to find someone who can nit midfield and attack. Where is our De Bruyne or Hazard?

Anyway well done again England, so much to be positive about, but so much work o be done as well.

Shola*

It's not worded very well, yes - but it's a perfectly reasonable question and the answer to which is probably no, there's no examples where an English youngster failed or didn't develop through lack of opportunities alone. (of course many have failed because of other reasons, but I can't see any case where it's been down to lack of opportunities to develop).

Guest Howaythetoon

Hazard, man :drool:

Real Madrid are gonna love him.

He deserves to play for them.

He'll have to improve both his consistency and his  quality Real Madrid like, there's no way they'll be impressed by him as he is now, or stand for his one great season one poor/underpar season cycle that he's had.

I’ve been watching him closely lately and he does tend to hang onto the ball too long or overdo it, but I think that’s more down to there being nothing on for him or not trusting team-mates. What I like about him is he always tries to stay on his feet and is single minded going forward, he’s a great player. Shame he isn’t English!