England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Guest firetotheworks

I played for Sunderland when I was a kid, Henderson was in the age group below mine, him and his mate got moved up to play with our team though. The main attribute he had was his stamina and work rate, bit surprised now at how far he has gone.

I know this lad who played for Newcastle and they had exactly the same thing to say about Peter Ramage who was, in his words, easily the worst player in the team, but had a fantastic work ethic.

Yeah, they look for work ethic, or physical presence and pace. It's one of the many factors that is wrong with the English game.

:thup:

I think 'Boro's the only team up here that tend to have their youth set up spot on from what I've heard.

I played for Sunderland when I was a kid, Henderson was in the age group below mine, him and his mate got moved up to play with our team though. The main attribute he had was his stamina and work rate, bit surprised now at how far he has gone.

I know this lad who played for Newcastle and they had exactly the same thing to say about Peter Ramage who was, in his words, easily the worst player in the team, but had a fantastic work ethic.

Yeah, they look for work ethic, or physical presence and pace. It's one of the many factors that is wrong with the English game.

:thup:

I think 'Boro's the only team up here that tend to have their youth set up spot on from what I've heard.

Yep, I've heard/seen the same, been like that for a good few years now.

I've gone full circle on Henderson like, I actually think he's criminally underrated these days.

Back where you've started?

He's the CM James Milner. Maximised potential through graft. Good enough at a lot of things and mentally smart enough and willing to adapt as necessary. Technically better than you expect but fundamentally not a "top" player. Great in the dressing room.

Liverpool & England captain says more about the options than it does about him as a player and a leader though.

This. Frankly it's an embarrassment.

Tbf wasn't the only reason he made it into the team in the first place because his family owned Ramage transport and had dealings with Freddy Shepherd?

Aye. One of the things that makes me think Armstrong might have something special. Nearly all the players through our youth academy in recent years that have played in the top 2 divisions have been 6 foot tall or fast (Lua Lua). Ameobi's, Taylor, Carroll, Forster (who is particularly big even for a goalie). Only other I can think of is Chopra. We've not developed a classy, "baller" type player in yonks.

Guess it's the same for most English clubs. Palace have a decent youth academy and they tend to churn out the same types too (pacey).... and Ben Watson.

Guest firetotheworks

I've gone full circle on Henderson like, I actually think he's criminally underrated these days.

He's the CM James Milner. Maximised potential through graft. Good enough at a lot of things and mentally smart enough and willing to adapt as necessary. Technically better than you expect but fundamentally not a "top" player. Great in the dressing room.

Liverpool & England captain says more about the options than it does about him as a player and a leader though.

England captain, maybe, but not Liverpool captain. Liverpool play some brilliant stuff and will be looking for a Champions League place at least this season, Klopp likes him and Klopp's obviously no fool. Everyone slags him off, but if you actually watch him, his positioning is brilliant and he plays a lot of nice stuff, along with the simple stuff that you associate with someone like him or Milner. If he could finish I think he'd be rated a lot higher because whenever I watch Liverpool he misses a lot of chances having got into good positions.

One thing I'll give him huge credit for is the change in his mentality. When he played for Sunderland I always thought he hid a lot and the derbies around that time he completely froze. I never had him down as captain material for a club, never mind England, so fair play to him as he's clearly put a lot of effort into improving those aspects of his game. He's definitely a good player to have around the squad.

I rate Henderson pretty highly TBH, he's definitely underrated by most people IMO. Whether he should be captain or not I don't really care.

What's under rated in this light? He's a good but unspectacular player. Most people would agree. He's good at a lot of things but not amazing bar workrate and stamina.

I rate Henderson pretty highly TBH, he's definitely underrated by most people IMO. Whether he should be captain or not I don't really care.

What's under rated in this light? He's a good but unspectacular player. Most people would agree. He's good at a lot of things but not amazing bar workrate and stamina.

I just think he contributes quite a lot whenever he plays... in general he seems to be some sort of figure of ridicule a lot of the time, as if it's crazy he's playing for England.

If most people assess him as you say, then fair enough :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

There are lot of players less deserving of an England place in terms of quality like, especially in central defence. Rooney's the obvious elephant in the room as well.

England captain, maybe, but not Liverpool captain. Liverpool play some brilliant stuff and will be looking for a Champions League place at least this season, Klopp likes him and Klopp's obviously no fool. Everyone slags him off, but if you actually watch him, his positioning is brilliant and he plays a lot of nice stuff, along with the simple stuff that you associate with someone like him or Milner. If he could finish I think he'd be rated a lot higher because whenever I watch Liverpool he misses a lot of chances having got into good positions.

You look at Liverpool captains over the last 40 years, ability/leadership wise he would rank among the lowest at the moment. Better than Redknapp & Hyypia perhaps.

Gerrard, Ince, Rush, Barnes,  Hansen, Souness he is not.

Guest firetotheworks

You look at Liverpool captains over the last 40 years, ability/leadership wise he would rank among the lowest at the moment. Better than Redknapp & Hyypia perhaps.

Thank you once again for your completely unneeded insight. Like I said, Klopp.

One thing I'll give him huge credit for is the change in his mentality. When he played for Sunderland I always thought he hid a lot and the derbies around that time he completely froze. I never had him down as captain material for a club, never mind England, so fair play to him as he's clearly put a lot of effort into improving those aspects of his game. He's definitely a good player to have around the squad.

:thup: cracking observation.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafa picks Colback. Sometimes even the best managers have lapses in judgement. :whistle:

I'd have serious worries if he'd picked him as our club captain and played him in every game as Klopp does with Henderson though. Besides, the point is that Henderson's a good player :lol: , Colback doesn't fit into that category.

I'm not saying he's s*** and shouldn't be in the team. I'm not even saying he shouldn't be captain. But in comparison to previous Liverpool captains, he would rank in the bottom half. Even since they last won the title.

They have a decent shot of winning the league, I don't think the team is individually as good as the one that finished second under Rafa. And he's not as good as Masch, Alonso or Gerrard. It's not to slag Henderson off - he's a good player. But I rate him at a level below those guys which is evidently good enough to be captain for Liverpool & England -  I genuinely can't think of an alternative either.

Colback is playing because Rafa likes rotation, that's all.

Dummett has been his #1 choice LB since he arrived. Didn't attempt to genuinely upgrade him either.

I'm pretty sure that he did, just that person hasn't settled yet.

Dummett has been his #1 choice LB since he arrived. Didn't attempt to genuinely upgrade him either.

Debatable, he signed Lazaar and we also have Haidara to come back. Anyway, that's not really relevant since Dummett can defend a bit but Colback is completely useless in every aspect of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not saying he's s*** and shouldn't be in the team. I'm not even saying he shouldn't be captain. But in comparison to previous Liverpool captains, he would rank in the bottom half. Even since they last won the title.

They have a decent shot of winning the league, I don't think the team is individually as good as the one that finished second under Rafa. And he's not as good as Masch, Alonso or Gerrard. It's not to slag Henderson off - he's a good player. But I rate him at a level below those guys which is evidently good enough to be captain for Liverpool & England -  I genuinely can't think of an alternative either.

No one mentioned him being better or on par with those players though, nor would anyone. That's why it was an unneeded point. I said he was underrated, I didn't say he's Messi.

I'm pretty sure that he did, just that person hasn't settled yet.

It's quite clear that our first choice was that Everton lad that went to West Brom or something. Hard to say what's going on with Lazaar like.