England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Guest firetotheworks

Harry Maguire (Leicester), Phil Jones (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea)

Shudder

Taking what is essentially 6 full-backs is absolutely ludicrous.

Delph and Young playing elsewhere makes no sense since they're in the squad based on their form as left backs, and neither were anywhere near the last two tournaments for their play in other positions.

Watched Henderson in the game vs Chelsea a few weeks back and he was shocking. I thought he at least had good technique but he miscontrolled the ball about 4 times in the last 10 minutes. Also very slow when turning on the ball. The guy just isn't quick enough.

As far as Dier goes, he's a mystery. I rarely notice him when he plays unless he pops up with a goal or something.

Saw an interview with Kyle Walker and Tubes and Walker said that us winning would be the equivilant of Leicester winning the Prem. Does not feel me with any confidence whatsoever.

Would have been tempted to take some ludicrous number 10 option who can do something magic, if needed, for purely the games against Los Caneleros and the Eagles of Carthage where they’ll be playing for time from the off.

Fuck them off for the rest of the games when counter attacking will be prioritised.

Harry Maguire (Leicester), Phil Jones (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea)

I just can't stand Maguire - I must be the only person who thinks he's just s big useless lump lol

Cahill has been a very good player - sadly his best days are long gone

Stones and Jones are error ridden

Shudder

I just can't stand Maguire - I must be the only person who thinks he's just s big useless lump lol

Cahill has been a very good player - sadly his best days are long gone

Stones and Jones are error ridden

Shudder

You're not alone, I don't get the love fest either.

Delph and Young playing elsewhere makes no sense since they're in the squad based on their form as left backs, and neither were anywhere near the last two tournaments for their play in other positions.

Ten defenders and four midfielders. :lol:

It looks like he's going to play 3 at the back, and he wants them to be reasonably comfortable in possession, which has ruled out Smalling.

If Lallana is fit enough, I'd have picked him. Somehow he makes the whole attack more fluent.

It's disappointing that Wilshere's not there, but I recognise that fitness wise he's very vulnerable.

Not bothered about Lascelles and Shelvey not going. Neither have made a strong enough case, and we'll benefit from them having a break.

Guest firetotheworks

Young and Delph both in there as midfielders despite them playing as left backs as well.

The squad's not as terrible as it could have been, but yet again, as always, there are players in there because of the clubs they play for and/or them having already played for England, despite them being: shit, recently injured, hardly playing, out of form.

Yes, of course we're biased, but Shelvey and Lascelles (and Wilshire imo) not being in and the likes of Cahill, Maguire, Jones, Delph, Young, and Welbeck just swanning into the squad having done nothing to merit it is a sickener like.

Guest firetotheworks

It's 100% Henderson and Dier like.

Loftus-Cheek will be backup for Alli I would assume, I really like him but it'd be canny mental if Southate considers him a better fit than Shelvey in CM. The only player I can see fitting into a Southgate central midfield from the bench/reserve is Delph. A fairly average midfielder who's been playing as a left back in a team that despises defending for the past year.

Ah man. If he plays fucking Henderson and Dier, man. :anguish:

Ten defenders and four midfielders. :lol:

And 1 proper winger in Sterling. :lol:

I guess he's playing 3-5-2/3-4-3 or whatever shit, but you're setting yourself up for a fall if it doesn't work. Surely considering the very different sides we're going to be playing then some variety would have been useful.

Delph and Young are there on merit but shouldn't be taking up spots as midfielders.

Exactly. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with their selection if they were going as left-backs. However with Rose there, it seems they're in because they're 'versatile' players. The problem is Young hasn't been a decent winger for about 5 years and Delph hasn't had a run at CM since he was at Villa.

I honestly reckon Southgate thought he was cheating the 23 player system by bringing 'utility' players like - in his mind I think he believes he's brought the equivalent of a 40 man squad or something. He's literally brought 2 players who consistently played in the centre last season - it's absolute madness.

Loftus-Cheek will be backup for Alli I would assume, I really like him but it'd be canny mental if Southate considers him a better fit than Shelvey in CM. The only player I can see fitting into a Southgate central midfield from the bench/reserve is Delph. A fairly average midfielder who's been playing as a left back in a team that despises defending for the past year.

He plays them in every game.

Delph and Young are there on merit but shouldn't be taking up spots as midfielders.

Delph has played the vast majority of his career in centre midfield. He's played there for England and done okay.

I think Young is there as a wing-back.

Exactly. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with their selection if they were going as left-backs. However with Rose there, it seems they're in because they're 'versatile' players. The problem is Young hasn't been a decent winger for about 5 years and Delph hasn't had a run at CM since he was at Villa.

:thup:

Simply cannot understand the lack of attacking width, once again, after it was clear that was a major problem in 2016.

I genuinely don't think it makes a difference really, there's just not a lot of talent in England right now.

You could make an argument for certain people but it's not like they make a massive difference to the end result.

Delph has played the vast majority of his career in centre midfield. He's played there for England and done okay.

I think Young is there as a wing-back.

He hasn't played a full season at central midfield since he was at Villa 3 years ago, and was never an England stalwart at that point. How does his form at left back justify selection in a completely different position?

Guest firetotheworks

He plays them in every game.

In the last round of friendlies I'm sure it was one of them with another more creative player. I have no problem with that, but playing them together is just the height of tactical and visual ineptitude.