England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

He was a bit of a div in that game, if he has a tussle in the WC like the one he had with Gayle he's guaranteed to get sent off by a ref outside of England. He's got a fucking massive heed as well, looks like a Thwomp.

Wow, judging a player on 1 incident.  How thoughtful.

Back off Nees [emoji38] If he's such a brilliant ball playing defender, why does 95% of this forum want Jamaal in the 23 instead of him.

Because we're Newcastle fans? [emoji38]

Back off Nees [emoji38] If he's such a brilliant ball playing defender, why does 95% of this forum want Jamaal in the 23 instead of him.

Because he's shit and we love Jamaal, yes :lol:

Also because he's better tbh.

Also because he's better tbh.

Has Lascelles ever played in a back three for a decent period of time though? Maguire has, and that's almost certainly what England are going to be playing. Its a team at the end of the day, and you pick the players best suited to playing in that team. In a back three Maguire has proven he can play there, while Lascelles hasn't.

Bit of a tangent now but I always think its weird when people have strong opinions on players, particularly defenders/midfielders that play for midtable or lower in the table teams. Do people really watch enough full games of Leicester, Burnley, etc. to know how good their players are?

I think it's pretty obvious he's a much better defender, Leicester conceded 60 goals this season and when Lascelles played our defensive record is only bettered by the very best in the league.

Not saying he's better suited to 3 at the back, i don't know that nobody knows just that he's a much better defender personally.

Lascelles should have been ahead of Jones or Cahill anyway not Maguire (although aye, him too I suppose) - Maguire and Stones are there purely because of how they are on the ball.

He was solid all season where as every other defender picked is almost universally accepted as being shaky throughout the year.

EDIT: Maybe Tarkowski too should have been there, I never seen or heard much about him though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Brilliant (long!) read about France 98 - some great insight!

I didn’t realise Osama’s mob wanted to kill Big Al!

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

Fucking hell, now I know how someone feels when they readone of my posts :lol:

Great read in all seriousness so thanks for sharing.

That’s what the W.C. should be about, drama! That was the last time I was genuinely interested in the W.C. and the national team. Today it’s very sterile and boring.

Before the tournament we had the drama of that night in Rome and then the fall-out of Gazza’s ommission and we had the prospect of a squad that looked on paper to have it all. Then it started and we had more drama with the exclusion of Beckham and Owen the two golden boys if English football and then needing to draw or win against Columbia and of course that epic game against Argentina. Even after the W.C. there was more drama with the fall-out from Beckham’s red card and Hoddle’s diary and sacking.

That was our best team/squad give or take a few and Hoddle for me our best manager in my time following football. And that game, it was like our 4-3 with Liverpool firs time around, just epic.

I remember the night well and Keegan saying Batty would score...

That was a great W.C., probably the best since I’ve been watching, although 94 will always go down as my fave as it was my first real W.C.

Happy days!

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

Really enjoyed that apart from the Campbell "goal". It was never a foul in a million years.

Shearer full on elbowed the Argie keeper :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

What excited me about Hoddle was that we always looked a good team regardless of who played and often who we played. Tactically we were superb I thought and while his man management has come in for criticism, I think someone who is strong mentally and self assured performs regardless of whether it’s an arm around the shoulder or criticism.

Obviously there were young players in there who didn’t have the experience or maturity to shoulder criticism well or be able to perform without praise, but that’s where the senior players come into it and in Adams, Ince, Seaman and Shearer in particular that squad had that which meant Hoddle didn’t have to be this all encompassing supreme man manager.

Tactically he was superb and I’ll never forget when he said the problem with England is that we play in banks of 4 or straight lines and he was so right. Despite my misgivings about him I think Southgate is trying to change that style which I personally believe is down to mentality and how we play the game at grassroots rather than technical ability.

We saw what KK did here, transforming players considered average like Bereseford and Lee for example into players comfortable on the ball based on his philosophy.

Guest firetotheworks

Really enjoyed that apart from the Campbell "goal". It was never a foul in a million years.

It would be a foul now, but it wasn't then. The 'keeper didn't even react to it, it was really soft.

It would be a foul now, but it wasn't then. The 'keeper didn't even react to it, it was really soft.

When did elbowing keepers in the head become a foul?