England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Alli has made a massive impact, no doubt about it, and he looks the real deal but we will have to wait and see if he can keep it up. I really hope he can but a fair few have made a similar impact and then fallen away to a degree. Really hope he is the real deal.

Discussed this the other day and the impact Alli is having now is similar to when Jenas was with us in his early days.

Good shout, he has far more heart and seems tougher mentally, however. He could be a really really good player for England. We have some good youngsters, but for whatever reason they never seem to be trusted together. Put Barkley and Alli together and see how they do. Its got to be better than Henderson and f***ing Milner or whoever.

Aye, he seems more battle hardened than Jenas. Anita, Colback & Tiote make Jenas look like Clarence Seedorf incidentally.

Mentally he seems an absolutely t***.

You mean Alli? Actually, I suspect that his mentality is where he has the edge over Barkley. I think Barkley has better technique - Alli's goal against Palace notwithstanding - and is a better passer, but Alli is three years younger, and in theory a couple of years behind in his development. The most impressive thing for me is that Alli seems to understand the gritty side of the game. He uses his strength better than Barkley IMO, and can be an irritating sod, but usually knows where to draw the line.

He's got a long way to go though, and is definitely being over-hyped right now. Many Spurs fans would not even pick him in their first XI, because he is still a bit raw and his protection of the ball is still suspect. He definitely has a goal-scoring knack, arguably more so than Barkley.

I don't think he's really ready to be a regular for England, just too much to learn. A useful guy to bring on late, maybe, when the oppo is knackered. I think the two of them are just too similar to play together. Maybe in a few years.

I think you've nailed it leffe, agree with all of that. At the moment I'd pick Barkley if I could only select one, but it shouldn't be an either /or situation. Both together with Wilshere anchoring them, has the makings of an excellent midfield.

Kane for me, I think he's genuine class.

He is. He's just got a great all-round game which is why I was so confused by the "possible one season wonder" remarks. He's good in the air, he's quick, he's good outside the area, decent hold-up play and ultimately is a good finisher. Needs to start in the summer.

Kane for me, I think he's genuine class.

He is. He's just got a great all-round game which is why I was so confused by the "possible one season wonder" remarks. He's good in the air, he's quick, he's good outside the area, decent hold-up play and ultimately is a good finisher. Needs to start in the summer.

Carroll looked a genuine world beater for us for a year, had literally everything.

To be fair when we first got promoted, Carroll was unplayable. 11 goals up until December I think. Kane is a class above like, but Carroll was fantastic then.

Kane is fulllfilling his potential, Carroll hasn't, maybe injuries, maybe the player, maybe a bad move, who knows ?

The Spurs fans who don't think Alli should be in their team must be off their tits.

It's a minority tbf. While I think everyone recognizes how valuable it is to have a midfielder that just keeps popping up in the right place to score (reminiscent of Lampard), I think the complaints are that he sometimes drifts out of games, and sometimes his naivety results in moves breaking down. I feel that Poch has noticed this and pushed him further forward to give him a bit more freedom, and it's paid off.

I'd probably go with this on current form

4-3-2

the 3-2 being:

Dier

Barkley                                        Alli

Vardy                Kane

Accept that Rooney will start however.

Alli has got to play in the hole behind Kane and Vardy. It's a no-brainer IMO. You win tournaments by playing the form players and if those 3 keep playing this way, they need to be in there, starting.

Has to be.

Roy will no doubt pick Rooney and no Vardy though, Roy doesn't seem to always pick the form players. Same for defence, some random player like Phil Jones (if he wasn't injured) would get in ahead of those doing well and deserving it.

We should go in with 2 formations, the 4-3-3 and the 4-4-2 diamond and play one according to the situation and opponent. The only difference between them is the alignment of the front 3 anyway.

Hart,

Clyne  Smalling  Cahill  Baines

Barkley  Wilshere  Henderson

Then either:

Sterling

Rooney  Kane

or

Walcott Kane Sterling.

Not set on those particular players mind, talking more about the formation (s) I hope we play.

I'd probably go with this on current form

4-3-2

the 3-2 being:

Dier

Barkley                                        Alli

Vardy                Kane

Accept that Rooney will start however.

We'd have a better chance if we started 11 players

Incredible how many times I've been watching a game and around the 30 minute mark Henderson does something and I go "Oh yeah, Henderson is playing!"

He's so incredibly overrated and I don't understand the plaudits he gets. Maybe he's ever so slightly better than Colback but for me Henderson is firmly in the pass-it-sideways-and-run-around-a-lot-with-pashun no-mark player category.

Delph despite being a prick and not playing often, has more about him in central midfield.

You need one of Henderson / Delph / Milner in the midfield 3 for me, and Henderson is the best of that bunch.

I'd take Dier over all of those on current form. He's been a revelation for Spurs this season at DM.