England

Yorkie

On 22/03/2022 at 12:39, Wullie said:

Southgate's one of the biggest examples of "victim of his own success" I can think of. Took an unproven central midfield pair from Leeds and West Ham to a Euro final, lost on penalties and we're meant to believe it was his fault because it's actually the greatest set of players England have ever had in their history.

Since we lost on pens, the implication has to be that even if we'd won the European Championships via that method, he still wouldn't have been good enough because it was his fault we were in a shootout. These people are demented.

By some distance he's the most successful manager England have ever had other than Alf Ramsey and that's a fact.

It’s always seemingly natural to jump to the complete hyperbole opinion when people offer an alternate viewpoint.

What people are saying is that he’s done well, but because of his limitations tactically, we’ve not done as well as we could have (i.e win something).

He’s a great speaker and I can imagine he breeds spirit and morale etc. but we’re set up far too defensively and his in-game management is appalling, imo.

I’ve enjoyed the success that we’ve had, but equally I don’t want us to go through this good period without actually winning something. 

I don’t necessarily think he needs to go, but he needs someone beside him with a bit more about them, I don’t think his backroom staff has what it needs.

But I’m never happy and always want to do better than we are.

The Leeds and West Ham thing is a slightly odd point though, Philips and Rice are both excellent players. Maybe not as individually talented as Gerrard/Lampard, but more intelligent and drilled from kids to play their part in this kind of team. Not that any of that is a negative for Southgate. 

No team can ever say they ‘should’ win an international trophy IMO. It’s so difficult and so much randomness is involved. 

Rashford’s pen hit the inside of the post right? Inches away from being the perfect penalty.   

He did the same stutter and disguise to the bottom left penalty in the Europa league final and it went in. 

Just one of those things. 

England have never been so blessed with attacking talent. 

I would agree that overall this is the best England squad since 1966 and possibly beyond that.  I think Southgate has forged a good team spirit and hasn't been pressured and swayed by the media as other England managers have done. But....

I'd question the policy of two basically defensive players in Phillips and Rice in CM. I'm hoping that Bellingham can now step up into Rice's position. 

I'd also pick a more skilful player than Walker. At international level, he looks scared of the ball. I'd pick White if it was a three, and James if it was a four.

Don’t understand why matches like this can’t be played elsewhere. It is a pointless game but would give some people the only realistic chance of watching the national team if played somewhere else.

Wembley is shite too. 

3 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Don’t understand why matches like this can’t be played elsewhere. It is a pointless game but would give some people the only realistic chance of watching the national team if played somewhere else.

Wembley is shite too. 

Such a good point like, unless you’re some mad national team creep, you’re likely not going to go to an England match unless you live in London or the Home Counties 

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Wembley is shite too. 

Wembley want all of the money they can get their hands on.

Just makes it completely stale.

Edited by Sima

Just now, Pilko said:

Mount is the biggest waste of space I've ever seen consistently wear an England shirt. He's like the reverse Pickford, class for his club and utterly shit for his country.

But still a guaranteed starter. 

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Mount is the biggest waste of space I've ever seen consistently wear an England shirt. He's like the reverse Pickford, class for his club and utterly shit for his country.

Feels like a Lampard / Gerrard for England but a step below them. Have an irrational hatred for him as well