England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

Wouldnt believe a few nations league results would inspire such an emotional reaction towards the man who 12 months ago had us in our first final for 60 years, but there you go.

Its a stupid competition but its a better gage than qualifiers because there's no cannon-fodder write-offs.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Like I've said previously I don't follow international football that closely, but the results recently and that game I've just watched don't exactly give me world cup winning vibes [emoji38]

Look nervous/clueless and a side shackled by rigid tactics and no plan B.

But it's England, almost rivals nufc for the top spot in the soap opera charts.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Holmesy said:

We got to a Euros final, scored first, then had no shots for 70 minutes and Bottlejob did fuck all about it, just stood there and watched us lose. That final was there for the taking but a guy with a loser’s mentality lost it for us.
Maybe we were destined to lose it but at least try to fucking win it!!

If this was an average or shit group of England players (and we have had them) I’d celebrate a final, but it’s one of the best groups of players we’ve had in generations. It’s not good enough 

It’s one of the best groups in terms of their spirit and togetherness, but talent wise it’s way below many a squad for previous tournaments man!

Just now, The Prophet said:

Folk were already calling for his head and insulting him in December. Let's not pretend we're above it.

Was January, around January 15 in his thread was embarrassing if you go back and read it. But sans results we were improving under Howe then. England seem to have started a kind of regression, no goals in open play for 360 minutes. 

He won't go though. Not that I'm overly arsed tbh. #GeordieNotEnglish

It's alright saying it's short term thinking to turn on him now, but the notion that just because you achieve some great results in years past it means you're immune to any criticism is just as ridiculous.

End of the day we should have beat Croatia in 18 and Italy last year, but we didn't because of Southgates negative shitting himself tactics.

No doubt Southgate has been far far better than expected when he was appointed, and honestly the last two tournament's have been the most I've enjoyed following England probably ever, however, every manager, every person in everyday life in any position of power, has a ceiling, I feel Southgate might have reached his.

I pray I'll be proven wrong, but I think this is a team that can win something, but, under Southgate they never will.

This isn't just me reacting ro these games either, I think most England fans, whether they admit it or not, have had the same feelings over the past few years, we've peaked the last two tournaments, it's been an amazing ride, but we're at a crossroads now and decisions need to be made.

The problem with mentioning people like Potter is that it’s a much better job to manage a PL club than it is to manage England. 

You’re basically choosing from a pool of people who don’t fancy the work of managing a top club or can’t get a job at one. 

Southgate has done a great job overall, whether there’s someone ready to take it forward is a difficult question. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

It’s one of the best groups in terms of their spirit and togetherness, but talent wise it’s way below many a squad for previous tournaments man!

Not sure I agree with that, however he hasn't picked out best players, Wilson walks into this squad.

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

It's alright saying it's short term thinking to turn on him now, but the notion that just because you achieve some great results in years past it means you're immune to any criticism is just as ridiculous.

Theres a difference between criticism and just wanting him sacked though.

Guest HTT II

This is Southgate’s worst run of results since he took over, in glorified friendlies, following a Semi and a Final. He deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt and maybe it’s a good things it’s happened already and we can get over it. We won’t win the WC, but no team will fancy playing us, apart from Hungary of course… 

Just now, HTT II said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. We have young, hungry players bang in form in practically every position and enough variety on the squad to play however we want - defensive, controlling, attacking, different formations etc.

And yet, same formation, same style, same players every time.

I can’t think of another time we had this much depth in my lifetime, with the exception of up front. 

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

End of the day we should have beat Croatia in 18 and Italy last year, but we didn't because of Southgates negative shitting himself tactics.

No doubt Southgate has been far far better than expected when he was appointed, and honestly the last two tournament's have been the most I've enjoyed following England probably ever, however, every manager, every person in everyday life in any position of power, has a ceiling, I feel Southgate might have reached his.

I pray I'll be proven wrong, but I think this is a team that can win something, but, under Southgate they never will.

This isn't just me reacting ro these games either, I think most England fans, whether they admit it or not, have had the same feelings over the past few years, we've peaked the last two tournaments, it's been an amazing ride, but we're at a crossroads now and decisions need to be made.

Agree entirely with this but just to pick up on the first bit… most fans saying this haven’t turned on him because of these results, they’ve seen (and highlighted) the obvious flaws throughout the last two major tournaments too.

People don’t seen to accept that you can do well, but also evaluate it and stand back and say “we could’ve done better there”. You don’t just have to accept what you’re given.

Guest neesy111

Wouldn't put too much on these games, after almost 2 years of constant football. Putting 4 meaningless internationals back to back is one of the most stupidist things I've seen.

Although I had my doubts after the euros, never will have a better chance to win a major tournament than that with the advantages we had of basically a home tournament.