England

Yorkie

25 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

This :lol: 

Started reading… :llorente?:

Got to the ‘Arry section… :serious:

From a football perspective why does Redknapp get so little respect though?

Allardyce and then Southgate have just got the job in back to back appointments and neither have achieved anything close to what Redknapp has, all while Redknapp has played infinitely better football.

Redknapp went into Spurs when they were in the bottom three and in a couple of seasons had them in the Champions League.

Put some respect on that man's name. My God.

Guest HTT II

I don’t or didn’t mind Redknapp, as a manager anyway. Always played decent attractive attacking football. But as a person, he doesn’t fit the New England type character, they got stung after Big Sam. 

Guest HTT II

Also I quite liked the promotion of Southgate, other countries give managers without much experience a chance and it hopefully bodes well for other aspiring home grown managers/coaches. I’d have Potter as our next manager for example, but I guarantee people will say what’s he won, who has he managed etc. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I don’t or didn’t mind Redknapp, as a manager anyway. Always played decent attractive attacking football. But as a person, he doesn’t fit the New England type character, they got stung after Big Sam. 

It's crazy Allardyce got it ahead of him in the first place. And I doubt Redknapp would have done something as crass as what fat Sam did when in that position.

I genuinely don't remember, did Redknapp actually ever get caught legitimately doing anything dodgy?

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's crazy Allardyce got it ahead of him in the first place. And I doubt Redknapp would have done something as crass as what fat Sam did when in that position.

I genuinely don't remember, did Redknapp actually ever get caught legitimately doing anything dodgy?

I’m not sure and aye, I’d have had him ahead of Big Sam easily. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Didnt his dog have a offshore bank account? :lol:

Guest HTT II

Old ‘Arry is obviously a bit dodgy when it comes to wheeling and dealing in the old transfer market, but again I quite liked him especially as a manager. He laid the foundations for Poch’s Spurs and they played some class football under him at times, tearing Inter apart in their own stadium for example. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I'd bet everything I have in my rabbits Cayman Islands account that if 'arry got the fake sheikh treatment you would uncover all sorts.

One of his best traits in terms of the media is he didn’t antagonise people and he was well protected in that sense from scrutiny. By all accounts he’s a top bloke, my mate went to a talk in of his a few years back and said he was like KK in terms of engagement, honesty, humour and being down to earth. I can’t recall many players having a bad word to say about him either!

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I'd bet everything I have in my rabbits Cayman Islands account that if 'arry got the fake sheikh treatment you would uncover all sorts.

Could probably solve the cost of living crisis by clawing back all the missing tax. Although I don't think the BBC has the resources for the amount of episodes it would take to cover the whole thing, might be one for Sky Documentaries. 

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, a superb midfielder

He was brilliant. So elegant and kind of modern in today’s terms for back then. 

Wears a tracksuit and does dodgy things but with a smile on his face with little scrutiny. I'm sure that sounds familiar. 

Allegedly, of course. For the sake of every legal thing ever invented in every jurisdiction. 

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Redknapp bankrupted Portsmouth practically with insane contracts. Also people who aren’t into dodgy deals don’t usually react like this:

First if heard of him bankrupting Portsmouth. If he's spent too much or giving too many contracts that weren't sustainable, surely that's a failure of the football executives above him. You can't just be giving a manager whatever they ask for. The bit about the reaction in the interview is silly as you can't bas it off of that at all.

It's clear a lot of people don't think he should have the job, which is fair enough. Just think it is laughable that someone like Allardyce was given it ahead of him, only for the guy to be doing some dodgy stuff straight away, before even having managed a game.

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

Also I quite liked the promotion of Southgate, other countries give managers without much experience a chance and it hopefully bodes well for other aspiring home grown managers/coaches. I’d have Potter as our next manager for example, but I guarantee people will say what’s he won, who has he managed etc. 

I'm happy for U21 managers to be promoted IF they do a good job. Southgate did not when it came to tournaments - he did worse than Stuart Pearce with a better side (at a time when our other youth teams were winning trophies).

Nobody can say Southgate has not done more good than bad, but when the bad happens, people will inevitably (rightly or wrongly) question his credentials and why he got the job/if there's anyone more qualified. 

32 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

By the time Allardyce got the job in 2016, Redknapp's reputation was in the toilet after managing QPR. You could argue he should have got the job instead of Hodgson in 2012, but I think the case for Hodgson over Redknapp was strong too.

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate really. Think he'd have had them playing some really exciting football.

Completely forgot about Hodgson man, yikes. Hodgson, Allardyce and Southgate. Man, that is a depressing trio, from an enjoyable spectacle point of view.