England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Its his unwillingness to make any subs. Its clear we have talent on the bench, yet he refuses to use them. I honestly don't care who he brings on but he needed to change it after 60 mins, yet he sat there and got bailed out. Jude did nothing except the goal, Kane scored but any CF should be scoring that. 

Team needs a clear identity and intensity, without that we'll lose to Switzerland unless someone bails us out with a wonder goal.

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Anyone else have a feeling in their waters that England are going to absolutely jammy these Euros and get Southgate a knighthood?

Yeah I think we will after Jude’s equaliser. The momentum is with the team now, the draw is in our favour and we have players that can produce those moments of brilliance. 

Part of me didn’t want to go through. If we can turn it on against Switzerland, beating a strong team playing good football then I’ll regain my excitement, but I hated how we played yesterday and felt bad for Slovakia. 

Yesterday proves that Southgate is indeed extremely lucky. He’s relied a lot on luck to be our second most successful manager. It also shows the ‘international football is often negative’ argument, even if it were true (which it isn’t), is an unacceptable defence for him. We were a minute from going out to the 45th ranked team in the world and relied on a moment of brilliance. Hardly a tactical masterstroke, not that Southgate will realise what he did wrong. 

3 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Yesterday proves that Southgate is indeed extremely lucky. He’s relied a lot on luck to be our second most successful manager. It also shows the ‘international football is often negative’ argument, even if it were true (which it isn’t), is an unacceptable defence for him. We were a minute from going out to the 45th ranked team in the world and relied on a moment of brilliance. Hardly a tactical masterstroke, not that Southgate will realise what he did wrong. 

I don't think that's fair or true but I'd be on a hiding to nothing getting into that debate today.  

I agree that he was lucky yesterday but if the strategy is to keep it tight and hope our gifted players nick just enough goals - and that gets us to another final - then I don't really see how you can argue. Like it or not, that approach can get you pretty far in an international tournament. 

But there's no getting away from the fact that, yesterday, we were seconds away from our second most humiliating defeat in Euros history. To have two shots on target in the space of two minutes, post-90, and have two goals to our name, is incredibly lucky. I fail to see how we get past much stronger teams with literally no attacking gameplan.

We reckoning three at the back for the QF, then? Guehi out, match up with the Swiss, etc.

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Konsa; Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Rice, Saka; Bellingham, Foden; Kane

No idea what Trippier’s status is, if he’s fit I suppose he’d start RWB.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think that's fair or true but I'd be on a hiding to nothing getting into that debate today.  

I agree that he was lucky yesterday but if the strategy is to keep it tight and hope our gifted players nick just enough goals - and that gets us to another final - then I don't really see how you can argue. Like it or not, that approach can get you pretty far in an international tournament. 

But there's no getting away from the fact that, yesterday, we were seconds away from our second most humiliating defeat in Euros history. To have two shots on target in the space of two minutes, post-90, and have two goals to our name, is incredibly lucky. I fail to see how we get past much stronger teams with literally no attacking gameplan.

But it really is fair and true mate. It doesn’t take away from other things he’s done well off the pitch and it’s been done to death I know, but that’s for a reason - he gets favourable draws and he also had the home fans in 2021. Not forgetting he’s had better luck with group draws too (2014 for example). 

Fair enough if you can make sure that approach works, but yes when you’re relying on it and we have the same outcome as yesterday then you’re extremely lucky and should be strongly criticised! It shows there’s a clear limit to his approach and that you can’t think applying what worked best for Greece in 2004 is the same for a much stronger squad. 

I think historically Southgate gets too much criticism for being conservative - you do need to be more conservative in knockout football. In the league, 1 win and 1 loss gets you more points than 2 draws. That won't cut it in a tournament.

Also, as international managers get less time with their squads, I think he gets too much flak for sticking with some of the same players who he knows work well together.

I remember though in his first tournament, after one match where we hadn't played well and he was questioned about the team struggling a bit he said something like 'well we didn't really have any way of changing it'. And I remember clearly being so irritated by that: an international manager who had a choice of every player in the nation to make a squad, basically admitting he had no plan B. You manage, like, 10 games a year. What are you fucking doing with your time?

It was the tournament where we played 532 with Walker RCB, Trips RWB and Sterling up front. I remember thinking, just go to a back 4 with Walker RB Trips RW and Sterling LW and there you go, 451. There's a way you could change it without even making a sub.

It feels like this has never changed. He has plan A and if plan A doesn't work he'll stick to plan A. Perhaps we'll nick something from a set piece. That's what I find quite irritating.

57 minutes ago, Rich said:

We reckoning three at the back for the QF, then? Guehi out, match up with the Swiss, etc.

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Konsa; Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Rice, Saka; Bellingham, Foden; Kane

No idea what Trippier’s status is, if he’s fit I suppose he’d start RWB.

I think it's clear from his cameo - that Saka has seemingly forgotten how to play as a LB/LWB. He looked like he had no idea what to do. Maybe he can re-learn in a few days.

Btw that Foden offside as awful, awful play from him. Miles offside considering the position of him and Trippier. In that moment, he had 1 job and failed miserably.

Still can't wrap my head around Southgate's decision making and just how appalling we were. His substitutions yesterday....just what the actual fuck. We should be out the tournament on the back of the worst England performances I've ever witnessed.

Not even excited for the quarters.

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think Micah Richards probably nailed it on the latest Rest Is Football. The objective is to be tight defensively and rely entirely on moments from the world class quality. Ergo there's a total lack of any meaningful gameplan going forward, exacerbated by every single opponent sticking everything behind the ball. 

It seems like an incredibly high risk strategy and it nearly did us yesterday. Surely not sustainable. 

Not sure the tight defensively bit is true based on yesterday, Slovakia didn't try to attack after their goal but before that they got in behind easily a few times

The first time you come up against a half decent team and play that way you get fucked. I’m not saying we go all out attack every game but moving the pall at a snail’s pace with no one making runs and no attempt to get in behind or play a risky ball. If it doesn’t work against Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia and Denmark it’s not going to work against anyone good 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Must say, while it's harsh to single him out, Mainoo was poor yesterday.

Haven't watched too much of him previously.

Time to put TAA back there.

3 hours ago, alexf said:

Walker has been poor aswell. Poor defensively and offers nothing on the ball. Trippier would be far better on the right on the ball. 

Walker seem totally unwilling to attack but is also so suspect when being attacked, it’s completely bizarre to watch.