Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Vurnon Anita is perfectly-positioned to give an assessment of Newcastle United's new signing, Georginio Wijnaldum, and believes the Magpies have landed a star.

The Dutch international midfielder arrived on Tyneside from PSV Eindhoven over the weekend in a deal which made him the third most expensive signing in the Club's history - behind Alan Shearer and Michael Owen.

Anita has played both alongside and against Wijnaldum and insists his capture is a statement of intent that United are aiming for the upper reaches of the Barclays Premier League this term.

"Gini is a very good technical player, someone who can score goals and who will be a good guy for the group, too," he told nufc.co.uk.

"I've played with him for the national team at youth level, and a lot against him.

"He is fast, can play one-against-one and is a very intelligent footballer. He has experience, has played in some very big games already even though he is only 24 and can have a big impact on our squad, taking our level higher.

"We have signed a player who was the captain of PSV and this is a great move for both him and Newcastle.

"It's a key signing for the Club and shows that we want to have a much better season than last year. Gini is a quality player and someone who can have a great impact on the group."

There's no way it starts with an R :lol:

I think he's saying it with a mixture of both the V and W sounds. Definitely not an R.

Just text my one and only Dutch friend to clarify, and he says...

"Most in the Netherlands would pronounce it with a V. However, if you were raised in the South the dialect can  be quite strange and you will hear people pronouncing it with a Wij, Raey, or Vaey in some locations."

So fuck knows....

I like how he's said that some people might pronounce it 'Wij', like the question wasn't "How do you pronounce Wij?" :lol:

He pronounces it like the English word wry/rye in that video anyway, so I assume he has a fair idea how to say his own name.

After my intensive 'Wise-Scouting®' session yesterday I think this guy will do more for us than Cabaye. Only thing missing is thunderbastards from range.

Look forward to seeing him and Cisse smiling together after a goal, it'll be electrifying.

Dutch guy I work with is a big PSV fan. Asked him if he'd have been signed as a Cabaye alternative, he replied with this...

"Similar but, maybe not with the long inch perfect balls but, he is more a leader, he was captain and player of the year too. He needs time, the PL is so much faster pace and less time on the ball too."

Dutch guy I work with is a big PSV fan. Asked him if he'd have been signed as a Cabaye alternative, he replied with this...

"Similar but, maybe not with the long inch perfect balls but, he is more a leader, he was captain and player of the year too. He needs time, the PL is so much faster pace and less time on the ball too."

The Dutch played a fast game at the World Cup. (fingers crossed)

i think this lad is going to be instrumental in a lot of pass and move football next season, hopefully with big vurn and de jong at the heart of it too

Schexshy prospect.

it's been said but even though i'm incredibly underwhelmed with mclaren as a manager he seems to have put together a decent (competent) coaching team and new signings aside i'm genuinely interested to see what the people i believed in are capable of in a functioning system based on pass and move and ball retention

tragedy mym, santon and hba were peddled like :anguish:

At least by the sounds of it, it does seem like the players will be allowed to move off the ball, and make a new move after the pass has been released.

For De Jong and Wijnaldum it's natural for them to run in to the box as well. Usually we had f*** all in there when a ball came in :lol:

At least by the sounds of it, it does seem like the players will be allowed to move off the ball, and make a new move after the pass has been released.

For De Jong and Wijnaldum it's natural for them to run in to the box as well. Usually we had f*** all in there when a ball came in :lol:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/20/video-undefined-218711CF00000578-148_638x376.jpg