Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

For every Suarez there an afonso alves.

And for every Robben there's a Ryan Babel. I just don't think Mole's assertion that Eredivisie strikers doing worse than average in the PL holds water.

What happens - and to a degree Portugal has a similar situation - is that the Eredivisie is in general a poor league, but it also has a few quite good clubs that are able to attract and develop good talent. So you'll find some wasters able to look way better than they are (hello Altidore) mixed up with genuine top talent like Suárez or Ibrahimovic.

So basically, no conclusion can be drawn about players coming from Holland.

Same as no conclusion can be drawn beforehand for any transfer. Name me one league or club where buying a player from them is a cast iron guarantee for success.

So basically, no conclusion can be drawn about players coming from Holland.

It's almost as if you should judge each individual player on his own merits.

And for every Robben there's a Ryan Babel. I just don't think Mole's assertion that Eredivisie strikers doing worse than average in the PL holds water.

What happens - and to a degree Portugal has a similar situation - is that the Eredivisie is in general a poor league, but it also has a few quite good clubs that are able to attract and develop good talent. So you'll find some wasters able to look way better than they are (hello Altidore) mixed up with genuine top talent like Suárez or Ibrahimovic.

I'm not saying it's a poor league :lol: If anything i was saying is the opposite, that Eredivisie is a good league for developing tactical and technical ability which is why midfielders and wingers have a better time of it. They come into the league being smarter and more versatile than their english counterparts but strikers usually are bought on the basis because they score a lot of goals and not because they are good footballers.

You see a lot more Wijnaldum's coming to the PL from there than you do strikers of the same quality.

Probably helps that Dutch defenders have been toss and risk takers since forever n all.

True sadly. I was hoping that promising defenders moving abroad at an early age might have an effect, but the likes of Rekik and Bruma still don't look polished. Midfielders and forwards who have been snapped up by the likes of Chelsea and Man City at age 16 are generally never heard of again, unsurprisingly. I fear the effect of this on our NT in a few years time. The best young talents who previously would have been through Ajax' and Feyenoord's academies only to move abroad after a few years in the first team are snapped up for small compensation by your big clubs nowadays, only to be ruined.

My impression is that the low emphasis on defence in the Eredivisie makes it possible for mediocre forwards/strikers to impress and score shitloads of goals. Thus you have to really put in an effort scouting-wise when signing attacking players from the Dutch league.

Probably helps that Dutch defenders have been toss and risk takers since forever n all.

True sadly. I was hoping that promising defenders moving abroad at an early age might have an effect, but the likes of Rekik and Bruma still don't look polished. Midfielders and forwards who have been snapped up by the likes of Chelsea and Man City at age 16 are generally never heard of again, unsurprisingly. I fear the effect of this on our NT in a few years time. The best young talents who previously would have been through Ajax' and Feyenoord's academies only to move abroad after a few years in the first team are snapped up for small compensation by your big clubs nowadays, only to be ruined.

I thought Bruma went to Chelsea and then PSV brought him back to the Eredivisie? Do you mean Bruma still doesn't look any better after being in Chelseas academy for a few seasons?

He looks like an ox, I'll give him that, but he's not really ready for the national team and we're not exactly spoilt for choice.

Has Narsingh been linked with anyone? Actually a huge fan of his. Love his pace.

He looks like an ox, I'll give him that, but he's not really ready for the national team and we're not exactly spoilt for choice.

Has Narsingh been linked with anyone? Actually a huge fan of his. Love his pace.

Not really. General consensus over here is he hasn't got what it takes.

Ah, okay. Seems a pacy winger who's now pushing on the national team ranks. That's all. Would far like him in our squad as a reserve winger over the shit we have!

Groundhog day, but I will not have a bad word said about Afonso Alves' record in NL or its significance. He was a world beater in his time at Heerenveen. His failure at Middlesbrough and subseqent money grabbing in The Middle East does not take away from that. He simply went the way many Brazilians have gone before him and was more interested in coon than in his reputation, becoming the best player he possibly could or winning trophies. The PL isn't the be all and end all of football, even if it pays the highest wages.

More interested in coon.  :lol: :lol:

Ah, okay. Seems a pacy winger who's now pushing on the national team ranks. That's all. Would far like him in our squad as a reserve winger over the s*** we have!

Pace is a useful skill in itself, especially in this league, but I think he will go the way of Castelen and Lens, i.e. ultimately not really good enough. PSV want Berghuis from AZ, who should imo displacr him easily. He's a player I would love to see us in for.