Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dwight-gayle-continued-nod-ahead-14237158

Gayle has been working hard in training throughout his drought and under the surveillance of GPS in training his statistics have been good.

The GPS system in place keeps a close eye on sprints and distance covered on the pitch while the coaching staff are also looking out for headers and tackles won and goal ratios - even in training sessions.

Many have asked why Gayle, Joselu and Ayoze Perez had more chances to shine this season than Aleksandar Mitrovic - who has now been loaned out at Fulham.

But the coaching staff could see that Gayle, Joselu and Perez were outperforming Mitrovic - who was also banned at the start of the season - and told all players that statistics Monday-Friday would determine who plays at the weekend.

It hasn’t been just Benitez’s decision alone to leave out Mitrovic, the Toon boss asked every member of his coaching staff to give an opinion and they all felt that he needed to work harder during the week to justify his selection.

Mitrovic continued to slump in training and despite Gayle’s lack of goals his stats and work-rate during Benitez’s sessions meant he found himself in the starting line-up 11 times while the Serbian international didn’t make the opening XI on any Premier League team sheet this term.

There are very few footballers talented enough to justify still being picked if they're not putting the effort in during training. Unfortunately Mitrovic isn't one of them.

Benitez is so precise man. It's clear he wasn't doing this flippantly.

Also, starting the guy when the other players know they have been doing more in training could lead to squad disharmony.

Also, starting the guy when the other players know they have been doing more in training could lead to squad disharmony.

Particularly when none of them stand out in terms of ability and we're basically relying on hard work and buy in from the whole squad this season. Got to draw the line somewhere.

Particularly when none of them stand out in terms of ability and we're basically relying on hard work and buy in from the whole squad this season. Got to draw the line somewhere.

:thup:

This is idiotic, tbh. I was a goalkeeper for twelve years and I was always worse than other two goalkeepers when they compared our fitness, speed... mostly because I'm 6ft 7inches tall, but I always performed better at games because the other two were lacking decision making, determination, positioning, etc. If that's how the squad is picked, then it's poor man management. Benitez should know that manager at his level is mostly motivator, psychologist and tactician and not some professor from middle school who thinks that ones who know subject by heart are better than ones who truly understand it.

This is idiotic, tbh. I was a goalkeeper for twelve years and I was always worse than other two goalkeepers when they compared our fitness, speed... mostly because I'm 6ft 7inches tall, but I always performed better at games because the other two were lacking decision making, determination, positioning, etc. If that's how the squad is picked, then it's poor man management. Benitez should know that manager at his level is mostly motivator, psychologist and tactician and not some professor from middle school who thinks that ones who know subject by heart are better than ones who truly understand it.

Think it's pretty obvious it's not as simple as "who runs the most plays". There'll be a shit load of things they follow and combine that with what they see.

Just remember the classic quotes about Shearer in training, where they said he looked pretty average. It was only on match days where he performed to the levels which made him a top level goalscorer.

Not claiming Mitro would be quite like that, but interesting that he wasn't picked due to his training stats.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dwight-gayle-continued-nod-ahead-14237158

Gayle has been working hard in training throughout his drought and under the surveillance of GPS in training his statistics have been good.

The GPS system in place keeps a close eye on sprints and distance covered on the pitch while the coaching staff are also looking out for headers and tackles won and goal ratios - even in training sessions.

Many have asked why Gayle, Joselu and Ayoze Perez had more chances to shine this season than Aleksandar Mitrovic - who has now been loaned out at Fulham.

But the coaching staff could see that Gayle, Joselu and Perez were outperforming Mitrovic - who was also banned at the start of the season - and told all players that statistics Monday-Friday would determine who plays at the weekend.

It hasn’t been just Benitez’s decision alone to leave out Mitrovic, the Toon boss asked every member of his coaching staff to give an opinion and they all felt that he needed to work harder during the week to justify his selection.

Mitrovic continued to slump in training and despite Gayle’s lack of goals his stats and work-rate during Benitez’s sessions meant he found himself in the starting line-up 11 times while the Serbian international didn’t make the opening XI on any Premier League team sheet this term.

There are very few footballers talented enough to justify still being picked if they're not putting the effort in during training. Unfortunately Mitrovic isn't one of them.

Well if that's the case and he wasn't putting it in in training then he cant be picked.  There is nothing worse seeing someone make little effort in training but then expect to play week in week out. Its bad for the team and moral.

Just remember the classic quotes about Shearer in training, where they said he looked pretty average. It was only on match days where he performed to the levels which made him a top level goalscorer.

Not claiming Mitro would be quite like that, but interesting that he wasn't picked due to his training stats.

Shearer probably had a hundred or so Premier League goals on his CV at the time though, as well as numerous individual awards including a Premier League winners medal, Euro 96 top scorer etc etc.

A young player should be looking to bust a gut in the premier league as its quids in for poor to average players these days.  Just work hard and you'll get a decent salary, look at Jack Colback.  :lol:

Mitro will probably do well in Europe where he will have more time on the ball and the game being a little slower rather than the frantic pace of the premiership.

In all seriousness though, I'm a bit alarmed if form on the pitch doesn't actually have any effect on who plays. If Ritchie's monday to friday keeps getting him games ahead of Murphy who's clearly producing more when it matters lately, it's a problem.

Ferguson and Big Ron openly admitted Paul Mcgrath never trained as he just wasn't upto it and usually drank a bottle of vodka before training. Come Saturdays though the guy was an absolute colossus of a centre half

Picking a team by training statistics is not how a manager should be doing it

I agree to and extent that a line needs to be drawn and hard work needs to be rewarded but could we not draw the line somewhere closer to the "Performances on the pitch" end of the spectrum though.

Knowing that Joselu ran a bit further in training this last week doesn't make me any happier with his performances.

Guest firetotheworks

There's absolutely no way that Rafa will see those training stats as as the be-all-and-end-all, he's not Allardyce. But at the same time, it obviously still comes into his thinking to whatever degree, and if Mitrovic isn't putting the graft in when the opportunity is so obviously there to take, then that's his fault, no one else's. I think the idea that he should still be given the opportunity when 1. He's not putting the effort in 2. Nowhere near good enough to justify a start on quality alone, and 3. has let Rafa down with his ill discipline, laughable tbh. The opportunity was there for him to take and he hasn't taken it.

Ferguson and Big Ron openly admitted Paul Mcgrath never trained as he just wasn't upto it and usually drank a bottle of vodka before training. Come Saturdays though the guy was an absolute colossus of a centre half

Picking a team by training statistics is not how a manager should be doing it

This was 30 years ago. There's not a chance the likes of McGrath would get away with being a pisshead in the modern game.

Regardless, even in that case, it's an example of an exceptional scenario. We don't have anybody in the squad good enough to get into the team purely on talent, certainly not Mitrovic.

It's easy to believe that Mitrovic isn't a disciplined enough trainer for Rafa. The problem comes when you try to work out what other players are doing to retain their place when they fuck up actual games week after week.