Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I guess he has seen the club are looking to buy a RCB in the next 12 months and knows that will be his time over, so a move away now might be attractive. I hope he stays as I like the guy and it’s very short turnaround to buy a replacement. 

However a lot of the poor opinions of Lascelles are based on the Bruce side where being a CB at Newcastle was the worst job in the PL…chaos at both fullbacks (Lewis is the worst fullback defensively I’ve ever seen) and a collection of central midfielders in front who are no longer playing PL - maybe not even championship- football 18 months later (Hayden, Shelvey, Hendrick). If CBs have to make a load of tackles, interceptions and interventions every games, under constant pressure then inevitably the number of mistakes per game goes up. Maldini would have struggled in that set up and Lascelles got a lot of the blame.

One area Lascelles genuinely does have a weakness is with the ball at his feet, and that unfortunately means he doesn’t quite fit with how the team want to play, which makes his replacement inevitable if not an immediate need, but he could have a good career in the PL still.

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

I guess he has seen the club are looking to buy a RCB in the next 12 months and knows that will be his time over, so a move away now might be attractive. I hope he stays as I like the guy and it’s very short turnaround to buy a replacement. 

However a lot of the poor opinions of Lascelles are based on the Bruce side where being a CB at Newcastle was the worst job in the PL…chaos at both fullbacks (Lewis is the worst fullback defensively I’ve ever seen) and a collection of central midfielders in front who are no longer playing PL - maybe not even championship- football 18 months later (Hayden, Shelvey, Hendrick). If CBs have to make a load of tackles, interceptions and interventions every games, under constant pressure then inevitably the number of mistakes per game goes up. Maldini would have struggled in that set up and Lascelles got a lot of the blame.

One area Lascelles genuinely does have a weakness is with the ball at his feet, and that unfortunately means he doesn’t quite fit with how the team want to play, which makes his replacement inevitable if not an immediate need, but he could have a good career in the PL still.

I always think that if Man U had bought Lascelles for £25-£30 million instead of Maguire for £80 million he’d have excelled. He’s not short on confidence is quick and strong and as you say his maturity and development as a footballer was set back massively under Bruce. 

Guy has everything apart from good passing ability.

Have a soft spot for him as he has always seemed to give 100% for us every game regardles if whether that was sufficient or not.

Keep for back up!

I don't imagine financially we'd want a lot, but I am curious to see what appetite there is from Eddie Howe to do the deal. By all accounts Lascelles is an important dressing room influence and removing that leadership early in the season may be seen as destabilizing. 

21 hours ago, Shak said:

How do people think he'd do in Turkey?

I currently have a student from Turkey who's a big Besiktas fan and is asking me about Lascelles.

Says they need a CB urgently.

Would he do well at that level, do we think?

I still think he can do a job for a lot of PL teams tbh. He's not great at bringing the ball out, but he's a solid defender, and he scores the odd goal from set pieces as well. I'd be happy to keep him as cover if no one wants to cough up decent money for him, and by decent money I would say around £8m.

To be fair to him, everyone is saying he is bad with the ball at his feet and that was true when we last saw him play regularly, under Bruce.

it’s not inconceivable to imagine this area of his game has improved after nearly 2 years of Howe. He played a brilliant ‘schar’ ball to Gordon in the pre season friendly against Villa.

4 hours ago, TRon said:

I still think he can do a job for a lot of PL teams tbh. He's not great at bringing the ball out, but he's a solid defender, and he scores the odd goal from set pieces as well. I'd be happy to keep him as cover if no one wants to cough up decent money for him, and by decent money I would say around £8m.

Tbh I'd go as far to say as far as central defenders go, he's great at attacking set pieces. I think if he'd have had more playing time through an injury to either Schar or Botman, he might have caused Howe some questions as he's so much better than either attacking the ball. He didn't get much of a run with Trippier when Trippier first joined because of his injury, and was then displaced that summer with Botman so we never got to see it much.

Disclaimer : Never in a million years should he start ahead of either right now, but to see Lascelles attack more of Trippier's set pieces would have been good.

Just now, Toonjam88 said:

Aye just seen the footage now. Looks like him like. Someone gets a sneaky smack in the side of his face. 

Very hard to tell, but it looks like he more than returns the favour at the end of the clip.