Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

You can sit back and protect a 1-0 or 1-1 against a top team if you have a Head Coach who drills organisation into you.

We sat back the whole game though and were awful at it, and they're talking as if that wasn't the case. It's terrifying.

They're acting as though the last 3 goals came about because of something different we did. They didn't. We were getting pulverised all game.

You can sit back and protect a 1-0 or 1-1 against a top team if you have a Head Coach who drills organisation into you.

We sat back the whole game though and were awful at it, and they're talking as if that wasn't the case. It's terrifying.

They're acting as though the last 3 goals came about because of something different we did. They didn't. We were getting pulverised all game.

That’s my point. Lascelles is saying we should have sat back. That’s fine if you’ve got a top manager who drills into them what to do. With Bruce that’s ridiculous, he has no idea how to do that.

As stated, to sit back you need to be organised and well drilled. No matter who you play. To play attacking football, in the premise you're keeping the ball from the opposition thus diluting their offensive threat, you need to actually keep the ball.

We can do neither. Hence the number of shots we concede etc etc

That’s my point. Lascelles is saying we should have sat back. That’s fine if you’ve got a top manager who drills into them what to do. With Bruce that’s ridiculous, he has no idea how to do that.

Yeah. For sure.

His idea of sitting back is even ridiculous. It's just having everyone camping out deep in our half.

There's no plan whatsoever of what to do when we get the ball.

We will go down this season.

The reaction to his quotes on social media is absolutely embarrassing from our fan base. He’s right. The gaps, especially between the defence and midfield is absolutely massive at times. With the forward players we have we’d been way better suited to the low block, counter attacking system we had under Rafa.

Whatever it is we’re doing doesn’t work. Whatever we were doing against Man U didn’t work. He’s also right, man for man they are way better that us and making it difficult for them and countering fast is exactly what they’ve struggled against in recent weeks.

The reaction to his quotes on social media is absolutely embarrassing from our fan base. He’s right. The gaps, especially between the defence and midfield is absolutely massive at times. With the forward players we have we’d been way better suited to the low block, counter attacking system we had under Rafa.

Whatever it is we’re doing doesn’t work. Whatever we were doing against Man U didn’t work. He’s also right, man for man they are way better that us and making it difficult for them and countering fast is exactly what they’ve struggled against in recent weeks.

No. He's not right about anything.

He's talking about how we started well, and how we played good for 70 mins.

We didn't. We were open the whole game and they ultimately got 4 goals. Just because they ended up getting them a bit later on, doesn't mean they weren't carving us open throughout.

His quotes are shocking and completely clueless.

We didn't. We were open the whole game and they ultimately got 4 goals. Just because they ended up getting them a bit later on, doesn't mean they weren't carving us open throughout.

What’s the lad supposed to say? He’s said we started “pretty well” we did start pretty well. He’s not saying we were amazing. He said we maybe should have realised who we were playing and shut up shop and played on the counter. He’s right. He’s said things like they’re angry and themselves and thinks they should do better. He’s right. There’s some spin in there too that I don’t agree with but it’s a balanced set of quotes from an honest captain who’s always tried to do his best. The reaction is pathetic.

It's better he doesn't say anything IMO, or just say the team needs to bounce back and do better.

We were really bad against Man U and sat deep all game, so coming out and talking about shutting up shop was never going to be received well.

It's painfully obvious we look so bad defensively because we cannot keep the ball and are not a threat going forward so the opposition can just push up against us and take pot shots at our goal all game.

His quotes just emphasize that the team do not appear to be in any kind of mind state to rectify these issues if the prevailing thought is that we need to shut up shop.

We're in major trouble.

What’s the lad supposed to say? He’s said we started “pretty well” we did start pretty well. He’s not saying we were amazing. He said we maybe should have realised who we were playing and shut up shop and played on the counter. He’s right. He’s said things like they’re angry and themselves and thinks they should do better. He’s right. There’s some spin in there too that I don’t agree with but it’s a balanced set of quotes from an honest captain who’s always tried to do his best. The reaction is pathetic.

Did we ever open the shop, though?

Lascelles seems desperate to erode all of the goodwill he built up back when he broke into the team like.

Chalk and cheese from the comments he made after a defeat at Southampton, which made Rafa sit up and take notice (and eventually make him captain)

It's pathetic brown-nosing of cabbage-heed.

Did we ever open the shop, though?

I don’t think we do either. A defensive counter attacking side is entirely different from putting 11 men behind the ball like Bruce does. His attacking set up just leaves massive gaps between the team with little benefit to attacking returns. It’s awful and a damning indictment of his management and coaches.

Guest reefatoon

We need to get anyone with this fucking mindset a million miles away from the club, the bunch of horrific negative cunts. Fuck off Lascelles you whopper.

Lascelles seems desperate to erode all of the goodwill he built up back when he broke into the team like.

Chalk and cheese from the comments he made after a defeat at Southampton, which made Rafa sit up and take notice (and eventually make him captain)

It's pathetic brown-nosing of cabbage-heed.

100%

The usual suspects are basically talking for him - Shelvey that other saying we play good football and not long ball like we used to under Rafa FFS!

I don’t think it’s complete nonsense personally. I think it’s balanced. There’s stuff I don’t agree with in it but you can see why as a captain he’s trying to maintain belief in a system they’re being required to play. He’s suggest what he thinks they should have done instead and they’re not happy with how they played.

It’s hard in print to infer the correct meaning but I don’t get the arrogance from Lascelles like you get from some of the quotes say from Shelvey. He’s trying to be a captain here, he’s not the enemy or the problem, Bruce is. At least in terms of team performances that is.

No self respecting team Captain should be showing this 'know your place' attitude in public at least. Yes it might have been Man Utd, but they aren't the all conquering force from the 90's, and have certainly shown they can be gotten at by not simply sitting back

Guest Cheesy Beans

I think people forget that players are employees of the club, they’re not doing it for free because they support Newcastle.

My employer makes numerous decisions I don’t agree with and internally I raise my concerns, but when talking to stakeholders I tow the party line because ultimately my employer pays my wages and I’m here to carry out a role on behalf of them.

This is absolutely no different. Lascelles hasn’t phoned up the Chronicle to give them a chat, he’s been put in front of them by his employer and told to give an interview along these lines.

Whether he agrees with anything he’s said is a different question, which we probably won’t ever know.

He’s been institutionalised.

His interview was very telling.. shrugging his shoulders trying to think of something to say. He’s only here for his paycheck at this point. Anything else that happens is inconsequential to him.