La Liga 19/20 - Premier Sports acquire exclusive UK TV rights

Village Idiot

He'd be an absolute coward if he didn't take that job like

How so? [emoji38]

Well assuming he wants to be a manager, this is as good a job as he could possibly get. Would be a serious lack of ambition to say no

How so? [emoji38]

Well assuming he wants to be a manager, this is as good a job as he could possibly get. Would be a serious lack of ambition to say no

Don't agree.  I'm sure he could have dipped his toes at a lower level in this country.  Taking over at a massive club in La Liga comes with its fair share of risks.  It's a huge job to attempt first time up.  As Mojo says.  He's leaving a very well paid job with Sky.  Where he probably has shit loads of minions and analysts, that help him look so good with his punditry.  To take the reigns at one of the biggest clubs in Spain, who haven't got off to the best of starts this season.

Even with Moyes and McClaren.  I always like it when British managers try and coach abroad.  Rarely happens for many reasons.  So I think fair play to Neville on this. 

How so? [emoji38]

Well, it's a job he's on a hiding to nothing for as well. Will never be able to compete with the big two and has to engineer catching Atletico led by Simeone. While not speaking the language, presumably.

Good for him like, hope he does well as I like a lot of what I've seen in his TV analysis.

Lots of silly talk here. Triggs is bang on. Taking it is risky only because it's a massive opportunity. Only a coward would turn it down.

Although 9th - 5 points from 4th placed Celta Vigo who you would imagine will fade. Point ahead of Sevilla, point behind Bilbao - all regular contenders for 4th spot. Good chance of top 4 or EL in the league. Decent chance of winning the Europa League this season.

Worst case scenario he can come back and do what some had suggested anyway - with the benefit of having big club experience. Nothing to lose. He'll be back in May if things don't work out with a laundry list of excuses anyway.

How so? [emoji38]

Well, it's a job he's on a hiding to nothing for as well. Will never be able to compete with the big two and has to engineer catching Atletico led by Simeone. While not speaking the language, presumably.

Good for him like, hope he does well as I like a lot of what I've seen in his TV analysis.

He's signed onto May. Nobody thinks he can or should catch the top 3. Top 4 would be a good job (5 points behind teams that should fall off in the second half of the season). Top 6 - given circumstances would be decent.

How so? [emoji38]

He's signed onto May. Nobody thinks he can or should catch the top 3. Top 4 would be a good job (5 points behind teams that should fall off in the second half of the season). Top 6 - given circumstances would be decent.

You're very fortunate to know the targets he's been set so soon. Don't know how you do it tbh.

How so? [emoji38]

Not really on a hiding to nothing. They're ninth with about the 4th/5th best team. He even gets them to 5th, even 6th maybe which he should be able and it will be considered a decent job

Most of the Valencia fans I know are up in arms about the appointment. Given that he's inexperienced and that he has business ties with Lim, he's seen as getting the job because of that - like Nuno before him. Just a stooge to get all those shady transfers going without opposition.

Neville will have a hard time winning the fans over, but I agree that you just don't turn down a chance like this.

Lim and Neville are good mates, they both have a stake in Salford I think.

Odd nobody's mentioned that

BBC have, iirc the Man U players sold 50% to him. You be forgiven for asking questions as a Valencia fan.

Was taking the piss like

Mnf isnt going to be the same  :weep:

More Thierry. FFS.

Most of the Valencia fans I know are up in arms about the appointment. Given that he's inexperienced and that he has business ties with Lim, he's seen as getting the job because of that - like Nuno before him. Just a stooge to get all those shady transfers going without opposition.

Neville will have a hard time winning the fans over, but I agree that you just don't turn down a chance like this.

LOL understandable.

Good luck to you (Manc) Gazza.I' m not convinced by the need to 'dip your toes at a lower level' argument. Whilst you're not going to get  papparazzi following you round if first management gig is at Stevenage (or Salford City), it doesn't matter. Everything is visible. All records, any league, count.  You want the best chance of a successful managerial career, if you've got the cahunas to front the press/public interest, start as high-up the pyramid as possible, it has to be easier with better players, or at least easier if compensated by unreal pay and the validation and perceived specialness of the big league jobs.

La Liga is going through the process of selling the several TV packages for the next 3 years (instead of a big single TV contract, La Liga has broken up the rights into 6 different packages). Right now it's looking like it will close deals for around €1600 million/year. In the 2014-2015 season, the last one without collective bargaining, TV contracts earned "only" €800 million.

Live sports is the only thing that gets people to sit in front of a tv at a set time these days so it's the only thing that pays. Everything else on tv can be watched at another time. Every tv operator knows that if they don't have sports on their programme, ain't nobody tuning in for something they can download or watch later. With sports, you can only watch it live to experience it with everyone else.

Live sports is the only thing that gets people to sit in front of a tv at a set time these days so it's the only thing that pays. Everything else on tv can be watched at another time. Every tv operator knows that if they don't have sports on their programme, ain't nobody tuning in for something they can download or watch later. With sports, you can only watch it live to experience it with everyone else.

This is correct up until a point. Any successful live TV will have this USP. While Social Media has made real time viewing of standard programming even more entertaining. What you're saying is a big deal for the likes of Sky & BT. Whose non-Sports packages can be attained and enjoyed on other, much cheaper, formats.