Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Nah throw Mitro straight in. Mbemba too.

Nobody would be saying this if he scored the chance he had, unbelievably really when you consider how shit Cisse was and how Mitrovic was miles more involved.

Not to mention what's the point of holding him back, what for exactly? :lol:

Went to the game, a few thoughts.

First half we started very slow and they passed the ball us around us for fun.  Cisse looked very isolated ,Wijnaldum was in the number 10 role but seemed to struggle with it as he didn't get close enough to Cisse.  However I thought the last 15-20 minutes of the half we were the better side, we pressed a lot higher and We argueably had the clearest opening.

The one thing that was the most noticeable was we did not play a single long ball apart from Krul who picked out Sissoko a couple of times on half way. 

Second half was similar however Wijnaldum dropped deeper and was much better and seemed very comfortable.  Sissoko should have scored with just the keeper to beat but hit the bar.  Biggest concern was the manner of their goal which again was just really careless and sloppy defending.  Thought Mbemba looked bright when he came on, even watching him briefly you can see he has class.  Aarons was decent when he came on as was Mitrovic who I think will be a handful.  He worked well and linked with De Jong when he came on. 

Overall not bad but clearly the same issues remain.  Error prone at the back and the quality of crossing into the box was poor.  At least another CB and a winger needed.

This will be the team

Krul

Janmaat - Williamson - Taylor - Haidara

Colback © - Wijnaldum

Sissoko - de Jong - Obertan

Cisse

and we'll lose

We'll be getting "he hasnt been with us long enough" (Mbemba), "he's not match fit yet" (Mitrovic), "He's still young" (Aarons), "Obertan has been good in pre-season" (Ayoze)

Guest Howaythetoon

We will lose this one by a goal or 2 putting in an uninspiring performance, with fans booing at full-time pantomine style. Welcome to the McLaren era, unoffensive, dull, but not Pardew and not Carver so...

I'd start Cisse. I know we're excited about seeing Mitrovic, but Cisse's form was very good last year, I think it's up to Mitrovic to fight for Cisse's place in the starting 11.

Aye, his form was decent last season, but in pre-season he has looked useless again. No question for me, Mitrovic has to start.

I'd start Cisse. I know we're excited about seeing Mitrovic, but Cisse's form was very good last year, I think it's up to Mitrovic to fight for Cisse's place in the starting 11.

He scored a few tap ins, but his inability to hold on to a football for more than a few seconds was a big reason we struggled to create. We sustained attacks a lot better today when Mitrovic came on, not sure why you want to cling to last season's mediocrity that's up to you.

I realise Cisse is a good finisher but he only had just over 40 shots last season :lol: what's the point of having a good finisher when over a season he managed around 40 fucking shots :lol:

He scored a few tap ins, but his inability to hold on to a football for more than a few seconds was a big reason we struggled to create. We sustained attacks a lot better today when Mitrovic came on, not sure why you want to cling to last season's mediocrity that's up to you.

I realise Cisse is a good finisher but he only had just over 40 shots last season :lol: what's the point of having a good finisher when over a season he managed around 40 f***ing shots :lol:

Cisse wasn't that wasteful and he was hardly mediocre, up there with the best in terms of goals scored and if I remember correctly his goals per minute ratio was unmatched.

As my last team prediction was shite i will go for....

Krul

Janmaat Williamson Taylor Dummett

Obertan Anita Colback Sissoko Gouffran

Cisse

In reality it better be!!!!!!!

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba New CB Haidara

Sissoko Anita Wijnaldum

De Jong              Perez/Aarons

Mitrovic

Where did i say he wasteful? your mumbling to yourself because that has nothing to do with what i said..... he's a good finisher but we don't get him into positions to score often enough so it's a waste.

Just to use an example, Charlie Austin had nearly 140 attempts for QPR last year compared to Cisse's just above 40. What's the point of having a finisher on the pitch if you are not creating chances for him? you might as well be playing with 10 men.

Where did i say he wasteful? your mumbling to yourself because that has nothing to do with what i said..... he's a good finisher but we don't get him into positions to score often enough so it's a waste.

Just to use an example, Charlie Austin had nearly 140 attempts for QPR last year compared to Cisse's just above 40. What's the point of having a finisher on the pitch if you are not creating chances for him? you might as well be playing with 10 men.

Calm down, I just misread it. I still heavily object to arguably our most important player in recent years being dismissed as mediocre when stats and his contribution say otherwise. It remains to be seen if Mitrovic's few minutes on the pitch in today's friendly are a sign of things to come (ie sustained attacks and more chances created).

tbf how many games did Cisse play last year? Off hand I know he missed 10 through suspension, a few more due to the ACON and probably more due to injury

He did play less, but even so how many chances do you remember him having? we don't create much because we need a striker who can hold the ball up because we don't really have any great creative players.

It was different with Cabaye and Hatem feeding him, but considering the team we have it's a waste of Cisse's abilities to use him as a starter.

Calm down, I just misread it. I still heavily object to arguably our most important player in recent years being dismissed as mediocre when stats and his contribution say otherwise. It remains to be seen if Mitrovic's few minutes on the pitch in today's friendly are a sign of things to come (ie sustained attacks and more chances created).

Never said he was mediocre, just that it's pointless persisting with something that we know doesn't work. Also i think we know that Mitrovic will be better at holding the ball up which automatically means sustained attacks and chances created. We don't need to see much to see that he's a better target man.

Just an FYI i'd have no problem with Cisse starting if i knew chances were going to come for him, but evidence suggests it won't. I'd like to see him used how Man Yoo used to use Hernandez, bring him on as an impact sub where the games are likely more stretched and more space for him to exploit.

Never said he was mediocre, just that it's pointless persisting with something that we know doesn't work. Also i think we know that Mitrovic will be better at holding the ball up which automatically means sustained attacks and chances created. We don't need to see much to see that he's a better target man.

Just an FYI i'd have no problem with Cisse starting if i knew chances were going to come for him, but evidence suggests it won't. I'd like to see him used how Man Yoo used to use Hernandez, bring him on as an impact sub where the games are likely more stretched and more space for him to exploit.

I still think it's unfair to say it doesn't work when he's clearly scored a lot of goals, that's his job. We're a very uncreative side,  but that's not limited to games in which Cisse plays and I'll be surprised if we create more with Mitrovic and I'd bet good money he struggles to match the 11 Cisse got last season. I hope to be proved wrong of course.

First half we started very slow and they passed the ball us around us for fun.  Cisse looked very isolated ,Wijnaldum was in the number 10 role but seemed to struggle with it as he didn't get close enough to Cisse.  However I thought the last 15-20 minutes of the half we were the better side, we pressed a lot higher and We argueably had the clearest opening.

The one thing that was the most noticeable was we did not play a single long ball apart from Krul who picked out Sissoko a couple of times on half way. 

Second half was similar however Wijnaldum dropped deeper and was much better and seemed very comfortable.  Sissoko should have scored with just the keeper to beat but hit the bar.  Biggest concern was the manner of their goal which again was just really careless and sloppy defending.  Thought Mbemba looked bright when he came on, even watching him briefly you can see he has class.  Aarons was decent when he came on as was Mitrovic who I think will be a handful.  He worked well and linked with De Jong when he came on. 

Overall not bad but clearly the same issues remain.  Error prone at the back and the quality of crossing into the box was poor.  At least another CB and a winger needed.

Thought Anita was the bright spark for us.

I still think it's unfair to say it doesn't work when he's clearly scored a lot of goals, that's his job. We're a very uncreative side,  but that's not limited to games in which Cisse plays and I'll be surprised if we create more with Mitrovic and I'd bet good money he struggles to match the 11 Cisse got last season. I hope to be proved wrong of course.

It doesn't work to the point it should do, that's my point. He scores but we don't create anywhere enough chances for him, he averages around 2 shots a game and that's nowhere near enough. It's not all his fault, we are are very uncreative team which is the point in itself and i believe we would create more chances using a striker which would help the build up more.

Not saying Mitrovic is Ibra or anything :lol: But i do believe he's a lot better than Cisse outside of finishing.

Thanks for the fucking spoilers!! Was looking forward to this game

Guest ElCid

When Cisse learns to hold the ball up and learns how to control a ball then he may have a case for being a lone striker which he clearly is not. I would play the two together for what  it's worth but if there is only one playing (which there shouldn't be with being at home) then Mitrovic has to start.

Guest ElCid

My team would be:

Krul

Janmaat

Mbemba

Taylor (unless new signing as he is marginally better than Williamson - Lascelles hasn't done must better preseason either or I may have chose him)

Haidara (would have Dummett in but in all reality we need a left back as this lad is woeful defensively and doesn't have then end product going forward either)

Aarons

Anita (though this is at a push also as Colback will play and neither are good enough imho)

Wijnaldum

Sissoko

De Jong or Cisse

Mitrovic

We need a wingers, centre half, striker, left back and a ball play-maker in the middle of the pitch. I'm sick and tried of Sissoko continuously losing the ball 70% of the time through running through blind alleys and when he does get in good positions more often than not he fucks it up. Colback and Anita are just not anywhere near top quality and are easily out muscled and outplayed in midfield. The defence is a total joke and it's criminal that only one player has been brought in to resolve the problem.

The preseason has been a total joke and the nothing has changed with the way this team are playing but that's what you get with a manager sacked by a Championship club for not being up to it.  Half of this squad needs ditched including some at-the-moment automatic first teamers. Another 4 or 5 (I would argue 10 players needs to be brought in due to a total chronic lack of investment year after year. At this moment not one penny has been spent apart from the money already in the bank and some on here were doing handstands that three players have been bought. Five or six of the team I named above should not be at the club but the fact that they are actually better than others is frightening. And low and behold Mr McLaren has went from "signing off the radar" to the usual club line of 'we are looking but only will sign if they add quality' - well pay the fucking money then you bunch of clowns. Any person who has renewed is in for the same old same old - well enjoy you deserve it!!!

Same. Said when he signed that Anita and Wijnaldum would work well together and I really think they have to be our starting 2CMs like, especially in a home game where we should be looking to control possession.

Same. Said when he signed that Anita and Wijnaldum would work well together and I really think they have to be our starting 2CMs like, especially in a home game where we should be looking to control possession.

:thup: