Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Cabella, Aarons, De Jong, Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Cisse, Wijnaldum, Anita...Tiote, Colback. There's 11 players all with differing amounts of strengths who'll need to be blended into an efficient attacking unit. The talent is there but it needs a good manager to get the right balance.

The defence is just a holocaust atm.

Good summary. Assuming Mitrovic isn't serious class, the midfield/attack is decent atm. Potential to be very good, but we've no one with the quality of certain recent attackers gone by (Carroll, Ba, Remy, Cisse '12, Hatem). Like I say, as it stands, it's pretty solid. Aching for good coaching and a valid, coherent system. There's no guarantees and it's imbalanced, but if we behaved like a real club that tried to compete and wasn't itching to sell, you'd look at that part of the squad and see it as something we could really build on.

There's no excuse for the state of the defense. Taylor and Willo starting games together - even in a friendly - is pretty disgraceful. Haidara and Dummett are varying degrees of meh, and Janmaat's okay.

All things considered, the squad - like the entire mantra of the club - is in no state to be challenging the top 6. It could've been, because the ingredients to do so are simple - but it's not.

Cabella, Aarons, De Jong, Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Cisse, Wijnaldum, Anita...Tiote, Colback. There's 11 players all with differing amounts of strengths who'll need to be blended into an efficient attacking unit. The talent is there but it needs a good manager to get the right balance.

The defence is just a holocaust atm.

Good summary. Assuming Mitrovic isn't serious class, the midfield/attack is decent atm. Potential to be very good, but we've no one with the quality of certain recent attackers gone by (Carroll, Ba, Remy, Cisse '12, Hatem). Like I say, as it stands, it's pretty solid. Aching for good coaching and a valid, coherent system. There's no guarantees and it's imbalanced, but if we behaved like a real club that tried to compete and wasn't itching to sell, you'd look at that part of the squad and see it as something we could really build on.

There's no excuse for the state of the defense. Taylor and Willo starting games together - even in a friendly - is pretty disgraceful. Haidara and Dummett are varying degrees of meh, and Janmaat's okay.

All things considered, the squad - like the entire mantra of the club - is in no state to be challenging the top 6. It could've been, because the ingredients to do so are simple - but it's not.

:thup:

Those 11 players are probably competing for 6 places in the team. A few of them on the bench and a couple injured/suspended (it's inevitable). There's no need to play the likes of Gouffran, Obertan, Riviere either if that lot can stay fit and healthy. I've still got a bit of faith in Krul to get things back on track, he needs to refocus but he was very good a few years ago and a new coach and a fresh start could zip him back to the form he was in 3 season ago. I like Janmaat and I've got high hopes for Mbemba (he'll need time and patience obviously) but after that the back 5 look poor. Haidara and Darlow could push on, Dummett too but Colocinni, Williamson and Taylor are tear gas. Need 3 defenders in to replace this little lot but it could be done for around £15 - 20m. That's how far short we are of having a competitive squad imo. Just spend a little bit more on the back 4 and we're there or thereabouts for a push at top 8.

Some people  :anguish:

When Obertan was fit it was clear to see he was our most dangerous player. Was just unfortunate with his injury. Perez had a good first season. If I was to swap anyone it would have been Perez for Mitrovic because Perez would work tirelessly as a lone striker even though he lacks the muscle

Losing Schneiderlin is a big blow for them. We should have a lot more success playing through that midfield. I thought Soares and Clasie would be starting for them. Maybe Long?

Clasie is injured i think. So is Bertrand.

Losing Schneiderlin is a big blow for them. We should have a lot more success playing through that midfield. I thought Soares and Clasie would be starting for them. Maybe Long?

Clasie is injured i think. So is Bertrand.

Yes the looking forward to it (and I'm feeling it too) is more a combination of withdrawal and false sense of hope.

I'm sure once this team has played a couple of games, dread will be back completely.

Yes the looking forward to it (and I'm feeling it too) is more a combination of withdrawal and false sense of hope.

I'm sure once this team has played a couple of games, dread will be back completely.

I'm a bit excited for the weekend. If we lose and play shit I'll be right back to apathy, even though I know full well that we need to be patient. But a shit pre-season, not enough signings and a shite home defeat to kick things off will leave me very meh all over again.