Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

Probably a fair result, disappointing to have lost our lead but our defending wasn't good enough to deserve the win. That left hand side cost us all 3 goals, just letting crosses come in. Definitely need to improve that. At the end we nearly conceded 2 goals from just gifting them possession with long balls, was pathetic play at the end and it was clear Southampton were the fitter side.

Aarons should have come on at the end, the game would really have suited him then, but instead we got Siem De Jong who maybe could have prospered earlier in the game but not the time for him to be getting used to the league which he still needs to do. Mitrovic looked crazy, nothing to show any quality yet though.

Overall plenty of positives, but still need defensive problems sorted, and though Obertan provided a goal, I am concerned at him being involved.

We looked absolutely knackered for the last 20 minutes. Mbemba looks a proper player, did well to cut back and put Mane off at the very end.

Haidara and Obertan will just leak chances down that side. Think Obertan was shocked to play 90 and just didn't have the lungs for it. Looked fucked from about 50 mins in. One positive was his cross, but defensively, especially with Haidara needing help, was an absolute liability.

Haidara needs to learn how to cross. And head the ball. 2-2 an okay result against a good side, but McClaren could have done better with his subs. Not quite Pardew-esque mind.

Some encouraging signs. But our terrible pre-season hurt us badly in the last 20-30 minutes.

Tiote induced so much panic into that midfield. I've fucking hated the bloke for two or three years now, but it's plain to see the other players shit themselves whenever he's near the ball (or an opponent with the ball).

Meh. Should've won that.

We could've easily conceded 5 goals, man. :lol:

Yeah i just mean the 2nd goal was massively defendable. We were so in control till that moment. They probably should've won it after that i agree.

Biggest lesson from that game was that both Tiote and Colo aren't up to it anymore.  Overall broadly positive.

Neither of them had a single minute of playing time in preseason. Like them or not, that's got to be a factor.

Positives - We actually tried to play football

Winegum

Mitrovic is a mental bastard

Obertan almost looked human (good assist tbf)

Negatives - Defense is awful

De Jong does not move

Tiote :anguish:

Colback on set pieces

Awful end to what was a promising game. Not using Aarons and/or Ayoze in the end here is criminal. Siem a total and utter passenger in that hoofing stuff. Obertan had a great game, so fair play to him.

I thought he was typically pitiful aside from that admittedly brilliant cross.

:thup: I meant Colback.

Shame about that mad few minutes where we retreated into our area and gifted Southampton a cross and consequent goal. They deserved to level the game though and tbf a couple of changes after the equalizer could have won it for them. We were in control until Wijnaldum tired and Anita went off with a broken arse.

Southampton did a comfortable double against us last year so I'm calling big progress from the old regime.

noone else on the bench other than Tiote who could replace Anita and keep the formation the same really. Think De Jong for Anita, and Aarons for obertan at the same time might of been better, with Colback dropped deeper into Anita's position and de jong playing a more central position.

either way, a point, and a lot of positives. as they play more games and have more time together, they should improve a lot, that was nicer than anything I think we saw last year so on the whole - happy (ish).

Awful end to what was a promising game. Not using Aarons and/or Ayoze in the end here is criminal. Siem a total and utter passenger in that hoofing stuff. Obertan had a great game, so fair play to him.

Was just standing watching for both goals instead of helping Haidara out.

:thup: I meant Colback.

I thought he was typically pitiful aside from that admittedly brilliant block.

The glimpses I caught were decent; there's a whole new coaching team (thank god) and it's going to take a while until they get the team to click, so that was an encouraging result against a good side.

f***er Long equalized right before I blew my birthday candles.