Newcastle 0-1 Andre Marriner - 29/8/15 - Post Match Reaction From Page 5

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ex-Arsenal man, Ian Wright having a go at Mitrovic, on 606. Said Mariner's display was one of the best he has seen. :(

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/11/article-2556956-0000C68B00000258-520_964x501.jpg

The mirror have gave us a terrible write up this morning basically saying arsenal are a wonderful team full of silky midfielders that need more protection and we are just a bunch of cloggers that should just lie down and let the big teams win

The Mirror also said that Marriner had an excellent game in the face of severe pressure and provocation from the home crowd!!!

Unbelievable!

I must be going completely against the grain by having the view of not being aggrieved with the red card decision (it was somewhere between a yellow and red IMO) and didn't come away from the match particularly pleased with the display. How many shots did we have yesterday? I thought we were basically shite, even with the obvious disadvantage of being down to 10 men you should offer more.

I must be going completely against the grain by having the view of not being aggrieved with the red card decision (it was somewhere between a yellow and red IMO) and didn't come away from the match particularly pleased with the display. How many shots did we have yesterday? I thought we were basically shite, even with the obvious disadvantage of being down to 10 men you should offer more.

Steady Mclaren is doing a terrific job with the resources available /s

Agree it was between a yellow and a red and he shouldn't have put himself in that predicament. Still means it wasn't a clear red but you can't expect to he given the benefit of the  doubt against Arsenal. Hopefully this is the type of thing Steve Black can help with, as we'll have to end up flogging him if he carries on as he has.

The players got a rousing reception coming off the pitch having lost 0-1 and had 1 shot in 90 minutes and half the team either booked or sent off. It was garbage IMO and I'm not trying to fish or wind people up.

The players got a rousing reception coming off the pitch having lost 0-1 and had 1 shot at goal in 90 minutes and half the team either booked or sent off. It was garbage IMO and I'm not trying to fish or wind people up.

The bar is pretty low these days.

A lot of people are just happy to see a bit of effort and teamwork for now.

Mclaren is just doing the sort of job I'd expect, he's a competent manager he should see us lower mid table.

even with the obvious disadvantage of being down to 10 men you should offer more.

I do agree with this. We lacked some very basic quality at times. First touches, passing, short or long. We were always going to be under pressure but did ourselves very few favours. Wijnaldum and Thauvin were the only two who were consistently good on the ball. I would rather we have pushed the group a little higher up and lost 2-0 but at least tried something to get some chances.

Down to 10 versus Arsenal at home and an own goal given up. Sure I'm disappointed with being down to 10 and losing but we're used to a team that gets live executions for 4 years versus supposed top teams. I'll take positives from a team that's actually fighting for 90 minutes to get a result or even personal pride in their professional roles as footballers.

Im not happy we did nothing in attack but the officiating ruined the match via no penalty decision to million yellows and a red. It's ruined a match I've looked forward to for an entire week.

Does your free season ticket work?

It's been like this for ages, increasingly so all the time. Whenever we play one of the better sides, home or away, the crowd goes home absolutely buzzing if we do anything other than get absolutely obliterated. It used to be just the top couple of sides in the division. Now if we play Swansea City and don't get fucked up the arse, it's treated as a moral victory. Meanwhile West Ham have already won away at Liverpool and Arsenal. As a support, we write these games off and are delighted to do so. One of the many reasons I can't be fucked with it any more.

I must be going completely against the grain by having the view of not being aggrieved with the red card decision (it was somewhere between a yellow and red IMO) and didn't come away from the match particularly pleased with the display. How many shots did we have yesterday? I thought we were basically s****, even with the obvious disadvantage of being down to 10 men you should offer more.

It's been like this for ages, increasingly so all the time. Whenever we play one of the better sides, home or away, the crowd goes home absolutely buzzing if we do anything other than get absolutely obliterated. It used to be just the top couple of sides in the division. Now if we play Swansea City and don't get f***ed up the arse, it's treated as a moral victory. Meanwhile West Ham have already won away at Liverpool and Arsenal. As a support, we write these games off and are delighted to do so. One of the many reasons I can't be f***ed with it any more.

I personally thought the reception was strange, it seemed as a "United front" aka you can give us 6,000 cards but we'll still stick together sort of reception imo.

Regards West Ham - they did get hammered by Arsenal in the game that they won, Arsenal just couldn't score, they also had 11 men.

I'd fancy our chances against Liverpool, I don't rate them at all - a bang average side.

A lot of our younger support are in with what you said, as to be fair all they are used to is see us on our knees/getting thumped.

As I've said before, four years of Pardew is not going to be fixed in four games (both on/off the pitch) - will be very interested to see how we are doing after 10 games.

I must be going completely against the grain by having the view of not being aggrieved with the red card decision (it was somewhere between a yellow and red IMO) and didn't come away from the match particularly pleased with the display. How many shots did we have yesterday? I thought we were basically s****, even with the obvious disadvantage of being down to 10 men you should offer more.

It's been like this for ages, increasingly so all the time. Whenever we play one of the better sides, home or away, the crowd goes home absolutely buzzing if we do anything other than get absolutely obliterated. It used to be just the top couple of sides in the division. Now if we play Swansea City and don't get f***ed up the arse, it's treated as a moral victory. Meanwhile West Ham have already won away at Liverpool and Arsenal. As a support, we write these games off and are delighted to do so. One of the many reasons I can't be f***ed with it any more.

I personally thought the reception was strange, it seemed as a "United front" aka you can give us 6,000 cards but we'll still stick together sort of reception imo.

Regards West Ham - they did get hammered by Arsenal in the game that they won, Arsenal just couldn't score, they also had 11 men.

I'd fancy our chances against Liverpool, I don't rate them at all - a bang average side.

A lot of our younger support are in with what you said, as to be fair all they are used to is see us on our knees/getting thumped.

As I've said before, four years of Pardew is not going to be fixed in four games (both on/off the pitch) - will be very interested to see how we are doing after 10 games.

West Ham were just an example. I could have mentioned Swansea turning over Man United today, Palace at Chelsea, etc etc. Not saying we never win these games, but there's certainly no expectation of it, even when the opposition aren't even much cop. The crowd are happy to make up the numbers.

We've lost at home to Arsenal by the odd goal in each of the last four seasons and the reaction is always the same - it's Arsenal who nobody ever beats at home so it's all good. When did we last beat them at home, 1-0 when Nobby scored? That should be embarrassing but nobody gives a fuck.

We could lose 1-0 at home to any one of Man United/City/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs/Everton/Southampton/Swansea and the crowd will go home fairly satisfied that we didn't concede half a dozen.

It's been like this for ages, increasingly so all the time. Whenever we play one of the better sides, home or away, the crowd goes home absolutely buzzing if we do anything other than get absolutely obliterated. It used to be just the top couple of sides in the division. Now if we play Swansea City and don't get fucked up the arse, it's treated as a moral victory. Meanwhile West Ham have already won away at Liverpool and Arsenal. As a support, we write these games off and are delighted to do so. One of the many reasons I can't be fucked with it any more.

Nah didn't work, guess they were just trying to tempt us. Copped some free tickets from elsewhere for the first few games.

The atmosphere was pretty good on Saturday; everybody bought into the typical "everything is against us" collective mentality after the red card. I just thought we were shite to be honest. It was better than getting fucked 0-6 under Pardew but I'm bored of us going into games against half the league with an underdog mentality and style of play. Only so much "gan on Jack lad" as Colback desperately chases more fleet footed Arsenal players that I can take during a Saturday's entertainment.

This is the most infuriating commentary in a long time.

Waddle was just as bad on our commentary in Oz....supported Marriner over almost every decision apart from his not awarding a pen for Thauvin's tackle..!

Tbf to pelanty his initial reaction was that it wasn't a red, it was only after he realised he had better fall into line he changed his view. He also said that Colo's tackle wasn't a free kick.

Not that I'm sticking up for him like, can't stand him.

Whereabouts in oz are you?

In WA. south of Perth...great place and weather AND we get almost all Newcastle PL games throughout the season. Because we are 2-3 hours behind the East depending on the time of year, the games are not on at stupid times either as we are only either 7 or 8 hours in front of the UK..!

I'm in Perth as well. I've sent you a pm

Yep - the Ashley propaganda machine has done a fine job on NUFC fans...or what is left of the genuine ones.

He set out to lower expectations and because many fans have nothing but SJP on every alternative Saturday/Sunday to look forward to, he has probably even bettered his aims.

The club will never do anything whilst people are prepared to accept mediocrity - I'm not particularly referring to Saturday as there were mitigating factors, but even so, a more ambitious owner would never have allowed a club of our size to start a season with such an inexperienced CF with a reputation for being physical or without PL experience. Its all about investing in young players in the hope that they will come good and make a profit when sold on.

After reading a fair few comments from earlier in the thread, some people need to get their heads round the fact that NUFC are NOT a popular club anymore, especially in the south.

We upset a lot of comfortable journalists by challenging the London-NW axis back under SJH and KK - also, to a lesser extent under SBR, but they weren't as vocal about him because he had been England manager. Once the 'Entertainers' tag wore thin and we fluffed the title in 96, they began to see us as Paper Tigers who they could laugh at, esp once SJH and KK went and again after SBR was sacked.

TBF, they have had a point since then...we have had a succession of dire managers, a board which was nepotistic to say the least and then a new owner who has done his best to make money from the club by turning it into a laughing stock with mindless decisions...because he too is a Southerner, we are resented by people down there because we rejected him and his southern oppos like Wise, the two Spanish sounding guys , Llambias and managers like Pardew and the Womble King.

The media don't like him because of his decision to give exclusivity to News Corp(SKY)and Mirror Group, so we get a bad press there. TBH, the majority in the rest of the UK would be delighted if the club folded tomorrow, apart from the fact that most of the PL get a decent points haul from playing NUFC and SKY get full stadiums to show every time they visit SJP.

You would have to be stupid not to think that all this has gone unnoticed by the PL, the FA and Refs generally, and that is why they act accordingly...

It has NEVER been easy following NUFC and it isn't going to change any time soon..!

Totally agree :thup:

... and I think it is worse due to the current political environment of England.

Not sure what you mean about this one....Liverpool are in a very left-wing city and yet they are both media darlings(lots of scousers in the media)and followed by loads of fans outside the area because they were successful once.

Its more that people think NUFC are a mediocre club and shouldn't get ambitions above their station..!!

Yep - the Ashley propaganda machine has done a fine job on NUFC fans...or what is left of the genuine ones.

He set out to lower expectations and because many fans have nothing but SJP on every alternative Saturday/Sunday to look forward to, he has probably even bettered his aims.

The club will never do anything whilst people are prepared to accept mediocrity - I'm not particularly referring to Saturday as there were mitigating factors, but even so, a more ambitious owner would never have allowed a club of our size to start a season with such an inexperienced CF with a reputation for being physical or without PL experience. Its all about investing in young players in the hope that they will come good and make a profit when sold on.

Maybe my expectations have been lowered but while I wasn't happy with the result I was happy to see the team perform with some heart and effort and something that in a good light might resemble an actual plan.

I don't think anyone's saying we should be happy to lose but there are undoubted signs of progress under McClaren (I didn't want him as manager fwiw).  Just a case of recognising that there are a few positives to be taken despite the result.

I agree with most of this tbf. Comes down to this silly 4-2-3-1 again no matter how unpopular it makes,me on here. When it comes down to grinding out a 0-0 at Old Trafford or defending with 10 men in a situation everyone expects us to get walloped in it looks great , but like HF has pointed out not getting one shot on target is poor regardless.

And as for Thauvins booking, the thing that stood out for me besides the trampoline antics is that a winger is having to track back and make a sliding tackle in his own half because macho men Anita and Colback have been overrun again. Why not play 4-1-3-2? Because if 2 dms can't protect a back 4 then we might as well just play with the extra forward regardless. 4-2-3-1 really isn't the formation for us.

How long have you supported Newcastle? Where does your view of the life and times of 'the genuine' NUFC fan come from? (An unseen Tyneside-based  Ripping Yarns  episode?) Have you considered what the realistic aims of most premiership clubs are in this era? I'm all for a bit of Cashley criticism, where warranted, but the above imo comes over like some kind of NOTW-flashback Southern, ill-considered, and patronising journalism.

Again though, Swansea are 4-5 years ahead of us in terms of style of football. They also know how to mix it. (Remember towards end of last season Monk openly admitting he went against their normal style and came away from Arsenal with an ugly win)

We've shown signs over the 4 games that we're aiming towards that. I know the stats show we've not had many shots but I wouldn't say we've been particularly defensive.

How long have you supported Newcastle? Where does your view of the life and times of 'the genuine' NUFC fan come from? (An unseen Tyneside-based  Ripping Yarns  episode?) Have you considered what the realistic aims of most premiership clubs are in this era? I'm all for a bit of Cashley criticism, where warranted, but the above imo comes over like some kind of NOTW-flashback Southern, ill-considered, and patronising journalism.

You have picked the wrong one to lay out 'I'm-a-better-fan-than you' crap pal - I was probably supporting NUFC when you were still in your father's imagination(or whatever you want to call it in your world).

Was going to SJP back in the 1960s and was part of the Magpie Group that got rid of an unambitious board..a bit like this one except most of them were Geordies....

Your comments are typical of many of the modern generation - think they know it all but actually know nowt, and you have done a fine job in cementing my views about many modern NUFC fans.

The hilarious part about your ramblings are that I looked up your profile and saw you only joined the site in July this year...

Pots calling kettles, or what..?

Grow up lad and come back when you can play with the big boys.

You have picked the wrong one to lay out 'I'm-a-better-fan-than you' crap pal - I was probably supporting NUFC when you were still in your father's imagination(or whatever you want to call it in your world).

Was going to SJP back in the 1960s and was part of the Magpie Group that got rid of an unambitious board..a bit like this one except most of them were Geordies....

Your comments are typical of many of the modern generation - think they know it all but actually know nowt, and you have done a fine job in cementing my views about many modern NUFC fans.

The hilarious part about your ramblings are that I looked up your profile and saw you only joined the site in July this year...

Pots calling kettles, or what..?

Grow up lad and come back when you can play with the big boys.

Well, that’s me well and truly told, Merl. I can see your research is just as sophisticated as your reasoning and it leaves me no choice but to shame-facedly slope-off to the outdoor netty and read what’s left of the Journal, while there’s enough light... I used to have other pasttimes, before that nice Mr Ashley persuaded me that whippet racing and pigeon fancying would get in the way of browsing leisure wear in my local discount sports shop (you should see the reductions, man...Epic!) you know, like on the alternate weekend to a home match, obviously. Those weekends, really cast some light into my otherwise bleak and dark existence. Least I hope they will, I remember my first match like it was yesterday (or the day before...) we only got beat one nil! And were playing like a big team from the smoke! Aye, London like! Awesome!! Thanks for putting me right ye cheeky wizard ye. I’ll try my best to increase my knowledge of the world through some Journal reading—it’s so hard when it’s all torn into strips though, so you might have to bear with me.