Robert Madley 3-0 Newcastle - 25/10/15 - Post match reaction from Half Time

Mike

A "couple of goal scoring chances" against the worst team in the division. Impressive.

We weren't anywhere near as good in the first half as people seem to think we were imo. A lot of the ball and very little genuine threat posed with it.

IMO it was a vast improvement on what we showed in any game we played against these under Pardew/Carver. We obviously went out to dictate the tempo and frustrate the home crowd to stop them from threatening our goal in the early exchanges. We succeeded at that and started to turn the screw and should have had a penalty before we got royally shafted by Madley.

At the end of the day, we should have won and been at least a goal or two up before the sending off even happened. 3-0 is obviously a ridiculously flattering scoreline, but there was no excuse for us not scoring at least a goal.

At the end of the day, we should have won and been at least a goal or two up before the sending off even happened. 3-0 is obviously a ridiculously flattering scoreline, but there was no excuse for us not scoring at least a goal.

You have 90 minutes to win a game though, I don't see how not scoring in the first 35 in anyway outweighs what happened after. Yeah it would've been nice to score, but it should never have been an issue.

Guest neesy111

A "couple of goal scoring chances" against the worst team in the division. Impressive.

We weren't anywhere near as good in the first half as people seem to think we were imo. A lot of the ball and very little genuine threat posed with it.

This, considering how much of a shambles we are at the back we need to be even better than this as a minimum.  Our priority should be defensively and not going forward because based on this season we'll have to score at least 3 goals to be within a chance of winning a game which is ridiculous.

Guest neesy111

You have 90 minutes to win a game though, I don't see how not scoring in the first 35 in anyway outweighs what happened after. Yeah it would've been nice to score, but it should never have been an issue.

You always need to score when you are on top, usually bites you back if you don't.

This, considering how much of a shambles we are at the back we need to be even better than this as a minimum.  Our priority should be defensively and not going forward because based on this season we'll have to score at least 3 goals to be within a chance of winning a game which is ridiculous.

but you have to know that if we shut up shop we don't have the capabilities to win games on the break due to our shocking midfield and we'll just be dominated, much in the same way we dominated the mackems first half actually because they couldn't get out either :lol:

Two major decisions went against us in the space of 30 seconds and that changed the game.

exactly and the one decision instantly made the following things happen

put us a goal down

put us down to 10 men

gave them back the hope and belief that we'd spent the entire half sapping away

brought their fans back into it same as above

probably shook our own confidence a bit

people are acting like we should have just shrugged it off but it's literally not as simple as that for many reasons

we absolutely must beat stoke now mind

Guest neesy111

but you have to know that if we shut up shop we don't have the capabilities to win games on the break due to our shocking midfield and we'll just be dominated, much in the same way we dominated the mackems first half actually because they couldn't get out either :lol:

We look our most dangerous on the counter attack tbh.

Against one of the worst Sunlun sides I can remember who'd lost 2 players through injury.

Replaced with better ones off the bench.

You're such a fucking weakling, man. Oh let's excuse another 3-0 defeat because they were forced to bring 2 'better' players on off the bench. :lol:

As shit as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't keep up the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment, in some way.

Guest firetotheworks

As shit as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't keep up the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment, in some way.

So then why did we dominate possession after that and do absolutely nothing with it? The excuses and examples can't have it both way. You can't say the game was over because of the red card and then say that we dominated possession despite being down to 10 men. If anything it shows you just how terrible Sunderland are.

As shit as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't continue the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment.

We don't know for sure if we'd have went on to win, it's all guesswork, but I'd lean towards yes. Or at least a streak-busting draw.

exactly man, i've asked for some examples of teams coming back from a similar situation in a derby (any derby) and not heard any yet, i'd doubt there were many especially away from home

it just doesn't happen, yet accordingly to some we definitely should not have lost despite being absolute shite for most of the season

i just don't see the point in whining and fucking moaning about ashley and recruitment when we entered the game beforehand knowing how shite that all was, the game turned on the decision and that's that...we still went at them to win and conceded a shite second after missing a good chance to equalise

but that opinion is "weak" or whatever ron et al have dreamed up :lol:

So then why did we dominate possession after that and do absolutely nothing with it? The excuses and examples can't have it both way. You can't say the game was over because of the red card and then say that we dominated possession despite being down to 10 men. If anything it shows you just how terrible Sunderland are.

we made a great chance to equalise and it was missed then they got a scrappy, badly defended second and that was that

some people are acting like this was another pardew/carver showing and it simply wasn't

Guest firetotheworks

we made a great chance to equalise and it was missed then they got a scrappy, badly defended second and that was that

some people are acting like this was another pardew/carver showing and it simply wasn't

No they're not though. :lol: We're saying it's unaccaptable to lose 3-0 (AGAIN!) to a team that's that terrible, 10 men or not. You've just said yourself that the second goal was terrible defending...why is that being ignored as a main point in favour of 'dominating possession' and 'Mitrovic should have scored'...aye, but he didn't! :lol: I can't get my head around anyone looking at this result as anything other than an embarrassment. The excuses are even more embarrassing. We've such low standards man.

Did we? It was soon half time. We kicked off the second half, had it for a few minutes then Mitrovic had this chance. That's about it.

As s*** as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't keep up the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment, in some way.

No they're not though. :lol: We're saying it's unaccaptable to lose 3-0 (AGAIN!) to a team that's that terrible, 10 men or not. You've just said yourself that the second goal was terrible defending...why is that being ignored as a main point in favour of 'dominating possession' and 'Mitrovic should have scored'...aye, but he didn't! :lol: I can't get my head around anyone looking at this result as anything other than an embarrassment. The excuses are even more embarrassing. We've such low standards man.

Because the embarrassment was the refereeing decision and the mitigating consequences not our overall performance like the recent past! That's all! Low standards? I don't see anyone here saying they were happy to lose 3-0 or even in the manner we lost. People are just furious for multiple reasons. You say that as if fans don't want NUFC to improve from top to bottom in every way.

So we have two opinions. What should one do if they thought this was an embarrassing result? Sulk and slag McClaren/Ashley/Charnley off on a message board? What about those with the opposite view? There's f***-all to be done about it whichever opinion you hold. All this sniping and having digs at each other is just needless and achieves absolutely nothing.

Guest firetotheworks

As s*** as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't keep up the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment, in some way.

Because the embarrassment was the refereeing decision and the mitigating consequences not our overall performance like the recent past! That's all! Low standards? I don't see anyone here saying they were happy to lose 3-0 or even in the manner we lost. People are just furious for multiple reasons. You say that as if fans don't want NUFC to improve from top to bottom in every way.

So we have two opinions. What should one do if they thought this was an embarrassing result? Sulk and slag McClaren/Ashley/Charnley off on a message board? What about those with the opposite view? There's f***-all to be done about it whichever opinion you hold. All this sniping and having digs at each other is just needless and achieves absolutely nothing.

I don't see any sniping, I think the main point of contention is whether the team/club is excused from this result because of a terrible decision. Imo it's not, not even slightly. A 1-0 loss, or us having scored when we were dominating and I think they'd be excused, but we then conceded another goal that had nothing to do with us having 10 men and had one clear cut chance in the entire match against comfortably the worst team in the league. 10 men and a poor decision or not, that is completely unacceptable.

As I've said, you make your own luck. We contribute to our own downfall when we don't take advantage of possession and we've got players on the pitch clearly not fit for purpose. :dontknow:

KI and others, are you taking into consideration how many players they had behind the ball? My observation when watching was that I've never seen them or us park the bus in a derby to that degree. They made no effort to get forward, except on a few occasions second half and the lead to the penalty incident. That makes even a shit team difficult to break down.

I'm not saying it was good enough because it clearly wasn't in the end but we were getting there and were starting to open them up before the penalty and were by far the better side in the second half as well.

My main/only complaint Colo-aside was the defending for the 2nd goal. No issues with the 3rd as we had to go gung ho and risk that.

I don't see any sniping, I think the main point of contention is whether the team/club is excused from this result because of a terrible decision. Imo it's not, not even slightly. A 1-0 loss, or us having scored when we were dominating and I think they'd be excused, but we then conceded another goal that had nothing to do with us having 10 men and had one clear cut chance in the entire match against comfortably the worst team in the league. 10 men and a poor decision or not, that is completely unacceptable.

There's been plenty of sniping from other posters, but that's to be expected on a forum.

What if the result wasn't against Sunderland? Would you still be faulting the players for effort and the performance? Possibly the fact that it was the derby is adding to the significance, but end of the day it's another 3 points lost, and I'd still be fuming at the refereeing decision had it happened away to Bournemouth.

It was a freak result, there's no question in my mind about that.

As shit as Sunderland are, giving your opponents a one-goal, one-man advantage is effectively game over. So yeah, the game continued and we couldn't continue the domination but of course we couldn't. Everything that went on to happen happened because of that one moment.

We don't know for sure if we'd have went on to win, it's all guesswork, but I'd lean towards yes. Or at least a streak-busting draw.

exactly man, i've asked for some examples of teams coming back from a similar situation in a derby (any derby) and not heard any yet, i'd doubt there were many especially away from home

it just doesn't happen, yet accordingly to some we definitely should not have lost despite being absolute shite for most of the season

i just don't see the point in whining and fucking moaning about ashley and recruitment when we entered the game beforehand knowing how shite that all was, the game turned on the decision and that's that...we still went at them to win and conceded a shite second after missing a good chance to equalise

Why should it being a derby make any difference? Not every team that goes 1-0 down and a man down ends up being thrashed, especially when playing such an awful side.

It happened at the weekend in Italy actually. Sassuolo conceded a penalty and lost a man against AC Milan in the first half. They then equalised midway through the second half before going on to lose 2-1 right at the end. This attitude of "the red card was game over" is pathetic given the state of the opposition.

Against one of the worst Sunlun sides I can remember who'd lost 2 players through injury.

Replaced with better ones off the bench.

You're such a fucking weakling, man. Oh let's excuse another 3-0 defeat because they were forced to bring 2 'better' players on off the bench. :lol:

You're arrogant and ignorant. I never claimed that. You made your usual smug soundbite comment and I responded with one of my own.

Guest firetotheworks

KI and others, are you taking into consideration how many players they had behind the ball? My observation when watching was that I've never seen them or us park the bus in a derby to that degree. They made no effort to get forward, except on a few occasions second half and the lead to the penalty incident. That makes even a shit team difficult to break down.

I'm not saying it was good enough because it clearly wasn't in the end but we were getting there and were starting to open them up before the penalty and were by far the better side in the second half as well.

My main/only complaint Colo-aside was the defending for the 2nd goal. No issues with the 3rd as we had to go gung ho and risk that.

I didn't think they were particularly parking the bus in all honesty, especially before the sending off. I just thought they were absolutely crap and couldn't string any passes together.