Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United - Sunday 13/12/15 at 4pm (live on Sky)

Dave

I'd rather win the Villa match, not least because it's more important but other reasons as well. The thing is though it would be typical of us to win against both Liverpool and Spurs, and then to lose against Villa.

A 'gutsy defeat' then a win against Villa is fine at this stage. Beat Spurs and lose at Villa and it just proves once again that nothing is changing.

We've already got the 3 points we absolutely had to get out of the three matches up to Christmas so anything in this game is a bonus.

Disagree. Need the 3 points v Villa.

Agree with your disagree. We can't let Villa close that gap, 3 points against them is vital.

Beat Villa and it's almost certain we'll finish at least 19th. Celebrate good times, come on.

It's not really that though is it? You need to beat the teams around you prevent them from getting points, as much as Villa are cut adrift if they beat us next week then they are only 4 points behind us (assuming we get beaten by Spurs and they get beaten by Arsenal this weekend). We have seen it after season how just losing a game to Sunderland has been enough to keep Sunderland up, and in the case of last season was enough put us in relegation danger in the last weekend instead of being safe 2-3 games before the season ended.

Once the Villa game is over you then look at the next two fixtures and you would have to say that the WBA is more important than the Everton game because come the end of the season WBA are going to be closer to the relegation door than Everton are.

I'd rather win the Villa match, not least because it's more important but other reasons as well. The thing is though it would be typical of us to win against both Liverpool and Spurs, and then to lose against Villa.

A 'gutsy defeat' then a win against Villa is fine at this stage. Beat Spurs and lose at Villa and it just proves once again that nothing is changing.

I agree, if I could pick 1 game to win and only 1 then it would be the Villa match, going on a little run like we do and beating both would be fantastic though. However we have seen it too many times before where we win the games that we should lose and lose the games we should win, it's typical of us and something I think most of us know is a good possibility with us. I have already explained above how gaining the same amount of points but against different opponents can change your position differently, but our club don't see the importance of that. Our club don't care where the points come from, so long as they do, and in doing so you may be required to gain more points than you should simply because you won against the wrong team.

McClaren will make the match against Villa twice as hard for us because he will set up exactly the same way as he did against Liverpool and more than likely Spurs. Wijnaldum and Sissoko as our wide men is not creative enough to be breaking teams down at home. Only way they will exploit teams is if they are given space to counter which i doubt Villa will be stupid enough to allow us.

We should adapt our style of play and team selection around certain opposition but seems like McClaren has the majority of this group of players nailed in their current starting positions and reluctant to change anything, even two batterings against Leicester and Palace didn't force his hand.

Guest reefatoon

We've already got the 3 points we absolutely had to get out of the three matches up to Christmas so anything in this game is a bonus.

Disagree. Need the 3 points v Villa.

Agree with your disagree. We can't let Villa close that gap, 3 points against them is vital.

Beat Villa and it's almost certain we'll finish at least 19th. Celebrate good times, come on.

That's the spirit

Just some numbers from Who Scored for anyone interested.

Tottenham have scored 8 from set pieces, lead leading. They also lead the league in yellows, but have no reds.

They have the third lowest crosses per game number. Only Stoke and the mackems lower, both teams created relatively few chances against us. Liverpool struggled to do much with their little width last time. Conversely, high cross number teams like City, Palace, Norwich, Southampton all cut through us very easily. Spurs also appear stronger down their left than right.

Fifth highest in average possession. Liverpool are sixth but I think Coutinho and Can were big misses there.

Aside from the numbers, Kane vs. our CBs. :(

Last week was blip-esque, so back down to earth this week. Maybe 2-0 to them, one from a set piece.

Conversely, high cross number teams like City, Palace, Norwich, Southampton all cut through us very easily.

Who'd have thought? :lol:

Spurs are the sort of team that we could potentially do well against as they don't have huge players and so we should be able to compete. But too much is dependent on Sissoko and Gini working both ends of the pitch for 90 mins in this system, and I just can't see them doing it week in week out.

Just some numbers from Who Scored for anyone interested.

Tottenham have scored 8 from set pieces, lead leading. They also lead the league in yellows, but have no reds.

They have the third lowest crosses per game number. Only Stoke and the mackems lower, both teams created relatively few chances against us. Liverpool struggled to do much with their little width last time. Conversely, high cross number teams like City, Palace, Norwich, Southampton all cut through us very easily. Spurs also appear stronger down their left than right.

Fifth highest in average possession. Liverpool are sixth but I think Coutinho and Can were big misses there.

Aside from the numbers, Kane vs. our CBs. :(

Last week was blip-esque, so back down to earth this week. Maybe 2-0 to them, one from a set piece.

Thanks Fat Sam :thup:

You literally just never know with us, could be a 6-0 loss and it would be completely expected, but could get a sneaky win and that would also be kind of expected for the shop window cunts in our team.

Really hope De Jong is fit enough to retain his place, thought I saw a bit of leadership in the middle for once and he was the focal point of some nice pass and move plays up towards Cisse.

Would love to think Liverpool was a corner turning game, but I can just see it being another false dawn.

You literally just never know with us, could be a 6-0 loss and it would be completely expected, but could get a sneaky win and that would also be kind of expected for the shop window cunts in our team.

Really hope De Jong is fit enough to retain his place, thought I saw a bit of leadership in the middle for once and he was the focal point of some nice pass and move plays up towards Cisse.

Would love to think Liverpool was a corner turning game, but I can just see it being another false dawn.

You do sometimes, like. We've lost more games this year than I've blinked my eyes.

You do sometimes, like. We've lost more games this year than I've blinked my eyes.

We've won six league matches this year. Fucking six. Still staggering. :lol:

We've won six league matches this year. Fucking six. Still staggering. :lol:

Lost 20. :anguish: