Pavel Srníček (1968–2015)

sempuki

Horrible news. My Mam will be devastated. Her favourite player.

Same here, oddly enough. She's never watched a game in her life but always asks "What's Pav up to these days?" every few months due to how nice he was at the training ground on a few occasions in 1994.

Always remember I was up in Glasgow to see Supergrass and couldn't make Arsenal away so give my Mam my ticket to go with my dad and brother. She had a season ticket but her interest was waning after KK's departure and Pav losing his place in goal.

As it was pre mobile technology info was thin on the ground especially with being in Scotland the same day. Fortunately I caught some team news in a newsagents on their radio and heard there had been an injury in the warm up and Pav was playing. He went on to have a blinder as we hung on for a 0-1 win.

Never forget ringing my Mam the next day from Sheffield Leadmill before heading home (I'd travelled straight down to see The Verve the next day from Glasgow to find out the gig was cancelled due to Ashcroft being ill (I think)). What was I saying about mobile technology! Never heard her so happy in my life as I listened to her match report.

R.I.P Pavel - Forever a Geordie

So sorry to hear this news. Pav always seemed such genuine guy. Humble, kind, but feircely competitive. Hearing about his upbringing (in Touching Distance) made sense of his values: " My parents worked hard. My mam looked after cows and my dad looked after pigs on a farm... Because we were poor I went to the farm with my mam and had a shower and then I'd go to school and then wait for my dad to come back from work, take his bike, because I had no money, and then go on his bike to the training session. This was my childhood."

However difficult it may have been, it set the foundations for a wonderful person. A short life, but one that touched a lot of people; that brought positivity, admiration and (occasional) joy. Gan canny bonny lad.

This has hit me hard. Real hard. I'm going to wear white socks and play in goal for my game on Thursday. Think I'd probably break down putting them on.

Make sure you dribble the ball out past the forwards at every opportunity.  O0

Utterly tragic news.

Far too young, a lovely guy by all accounts and true legend of NUFC.

Maybe not the greatest we have ever had but one of the most fondly remembered and loved.

Thoughts are with his family, those closest to him and with us all as we grieve the loss of this fine young man.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pav will always be part of a special period at this club where fans will forever look back on with utter happiness and pride in the players who played for us. He won't go down as one of our best players but he will always be an icon and I don't say that just because he has sadly passed away. Pavel is a Geordie rang out in the 90s, and Geordies don't take people to their hearts as one of them unless you're kind of special. The bloke probably missed out on the mega money that came into the game so I hope his book sells loads and maybe the club or his former teammates can do something to arrange a charity match where proceeds go to his family. It's been a shitty few years for this club in terms of losing people. Sir Bobby, Speed, Jon, those two fellas who died on that flight that was shot down, the young lad who went missing and fell into the river and now Pav  :'(

The very definition of cult hero. I'll never forget the save he made diving at Stan Collymore's feet against Liverpool. He was the embodiment of bravery and passion when the club defied all the odds on its meteoric rise to the top of the football ladder.

Hope you had a good life Pav. Rest in peace.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fucking handsome smiley faced guy as well, I remember when I was a kid all the women loved him, even my own mam who wasn't into football thought he was a lovey fella.

Totally devastated by the news. My dad would often take me down to Castle Maiden to watch the players train in the mid 90's and obviously Keegan and Terry Mac were great with the fans as were just about all our players (Venison used to like to get a flyer straight after training!) but Pavel was by far the best. He literally wouldn't leave until he'd signed autographs for everyone who wanted one, bearing in mind there was sometimes a few thousand people there, he would often still be there a good hour or so after all the other players had gone but he simply wouldn't go home until he'd signed autographs and stood for pictures with every single person who wanted one.

Taking my rose tinted glasses off, aye he probably wasn't one of the best players we've ever had but I'd say he was the best bloke we've ever had play for us.

RIP Pavel.

Horrible news. My Mam will be devastated. Her favourite player.

Same here, oddly enough. She's never watched a game in her life but always asks "What's Pav up to these days?" every few months due to how nice he was at the training ground on a few occasions in 1994.

Always remember I was up in Glasgow to see Supergrass and couldn't make Arsenal away so give my Mam my ticket to go with my dad and brother. She had a season ticket but her interest was waning after KK's departure and Pav losing his place in goal.

As it was pre mobile technology info was thin on the ground especially with being in Scotland the same day. Fortunately I caught some team news in a newsagents on their radio and heard there had been an injury in the warm up and Pav was playing. He went on to have a blinder as we hung on for a 0-1 win.

Never forget ringing my Mam the next day from Sheffield Leadmill before heading home (I'd travelled straight down to see The Verve the next day from Glasgow to find out the gig was cancelled due to Ashcroft being ill (I think)). What was I saying about mobile technology! Never heard her so happy in my life as I listened to her match report.

R.I.P Pavel - Forever a Geordie

Just started reading his book in the last hour and he was also Freddy Shepherd's mothers favourite player. "Son, this is the best player at the club. You'd better give him a good contract" :aww:

The book is good so far. He's already spoke disparagingly about lots of people I hate in the first chapter (Allardyce, Carr, Bramble, Owen, Ian W, Emre etc).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavel-Geordie-Srnicek-ebook/dp/B018832VNO