Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest chopey

I think Shelvey at home, in form, and motivated in this league will be brilliant

........ erm...... is this meant to be a positive?

Yip

I think Shelvey at home, in form, and motivated in this league will be brilliant

........ erm...... is this meant to be a positive?

Yip

So 23 home games.  In form, well that won't happen because of the other 23 games. 

Seems a lot of things need to go in the lads favour for him to be effective. I don't see Benitez trusting him to do that. I hope it can work but I don't have much hope for the lad. 

Guest chopey

At least TCD is consistant, he never rated Shelvey from day one, but I still think he's a good player if he wants to be

Shelvey has the ability to absolutely take the piss in this league, despite his weaknesses and flaws. Not convinced we will see that, but I retain hope that he can apply himself properly.

Certainly helped that West Ham gave him the freedom of Newcastle in the first half of his debut

Fulham were also giving our CMs a huge amount of space and time too. At the very least, you'd think Shelvey would help to draw opposition out because of his range.

I think there's a quality player in there somewhere, but if Shelvey can't be arsed with Rafa Benitez as manager, he hasn't a hope of realising his potential with us or anywhere else imo. Such a waste.

Thought he was good when he came on like, would start him every time in the Championship unless there's disciplinary issues

I thought he looked off the pace as usual. He did pick out a couple of decent passes when he found some space, but he also committed a couple of clumsy fouls. I think he's another one who's going to find it easier against teams who give him time on the ball. We didn't get much against Fulham, maybe some of the other championship clubs won't apply as much pressure.

Guest neesy111

Thought he was good when he came on like, would start him every time in the Championship unless there's disciplinary issues

His attempts at tackling the opposition were pathetic, he can't tackle for shit.

His attempts at tackling the opposition were pathetic, he can't tackle for shit.

He basically can't do anything bar pass like but I think he will do well when we control possesion

I was cautiously excited when we sold him.  The negative side of his game is worse than I expected.  If a teams fans is sitting in 16th and is happy to see a player leave - it's a terrible sign.

Is this a premonition? :lol:

I look at him play and I really do struggle to see how he played in a 2 in midfield for Swansea for so long, he's just so poor at defending

Well they lost a lot init.

In Monk's last 11 months where Shelvey played as a CM Swansea lost 9 games out of 28 that he played in.

Is that 'a lot'?