Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

We are far too slow and patient in CM. Shelvey and Hayden practically sit on top of the defence. Its only the movement and clinical finishing of Gayle that is making it look like its working. We get lots of touches in midfield and seem to dominate possession, yet we hardly cause the opposition genuine problems on goal or in their penalty area.

Its obviously working because we are top, but its a concern. We should be walking this league, but we are simply making do.

I think this is far too negative given the change of personnel in the summer. Team will continue to improve throughout the season

We are far too slow and patient in CM. Shelvey and Hayden practically sit on top of the defence. Its only the movement and clinical finishing of Gayle that is making it look like its working. We get lots of touches in midfield and seem to dominate possession, yet we hardly cause the opposition genuine problems on goal or in their penalty area.

Its obviously working because we are top, but its a concern. We should be walking this league, but we are simply making do.

This is bollocks.

I think he's drunk.

Guest Howaythetoon

Look, IMO we have the best squad, best manager and best team, but we are just about making do. I love Rafa and trust him 100%, but I feel he needs to relax a little and just send the team out to go for it, a general 4-4-2 would do.

Look, IMO we have the best squad, best manager and best team, but we are just about making do. I love Rafa and trust him 100%, but I feel he needs to relax a little and just send the team out to go for it, a general 4-4-2 would do.

He's not going to play 442 though is he, and we've just come off a 9 game winning streak playing his system. Like I said I think the team will continue to improve in the second half of the season

Guest Howaythetoon

This is bollocks.

It's not like, people are too hung up on the whole "Rafalution", we are top but there are genuine concerns and if we continue as is we will go right to the wire when we could be so much more comfortable.

This is bollocks.

It's not like, people are too hung up on the whole "Rafalution", we are top but there are genuine concerns and if we continue as is we will go right to the wire when we could be so much more comfortable.

"yet we hardly cause the opposition genuine problems on goal or in their penalty area"

Yet only 2 of the 92 teams in the professional game this season have scored more goals than us.

Not sure you've been watching our games.

Of course there is room for improvement, without a doubt, but your spouting utter bollocks coming out with shite like that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Greg that's what I'm arguing, there is room for improvement and massively so. I'm not bothered about goals scored etc. It's how we are doing in the games and too many games we dominate possession yet seem to struggle to break said team down or struggle to bring home the victory. I believe that is down to over cautiousness and wrong team selection. We should not be losing to Wolves at home for example or Blackburn. It's worrying given just how much of an advantage we have over everyone else in terms of squad, players, team and indeed with Rafa as manager, a world class manager. I think we are making it hard for ourselves I really do, not so much in terms of where we sit and points but performances and the games themselves.

Guest neesy111

Hate how it's assumed going for two strikers all of a sudden makes you more attacking. Type of shite that Pardew spouts.

I agree with that.

It's this number 10 position that's the most problematic. 

Hate how it's assumed going for two strikers all of a sudden makes you more attacking. Type of shite that Pardew spouts.

I agree with that.

:thup: I don't even think Diame has been bad but we can upgrade him pretty easily tbh. What he's shown so far anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hate how it's assumed going for two strikers all of a sudden makes you more attacking. Type of s**** that Pardew spouts.

It's fuck all to do with that, for me anyway. Take last night, Gayle all alone against their defenders... put two up top and things change. Their defenders suddenly have more to think about and we have more to aim for. It's not about how many goals we score, it's about ensuring victory and many a time this season it's more about how we kept the opposition out than put them to the sword despite huge possession figures.

I think the main reason to go with two up front is that we don't have an attacking midfielder that is good enough for the system we're currently playing

Guest Howaythetoon

Hate how it's assumed going for two strikers all of a sudden makes you more attacking. Type of s**** that Pardew spouts.

I think the main reason to go with two up front is that we don't have an attacking midfielder that is good enough for the system we're currently playing

Agreed. The number ten is key to Rafa yet our number 10 is shit, be it Perez or Diame. Not shit players btw, just they are not playing overly too well. Give Gayle and Mitrovic a chance and I think we will better sides.

Guest neesy111

I agree with that.

:thup: I don't even think Diame has been bad but we can upgrade him pretty easily tbh. What he's shown so far anyway.

I agree with Diame, think the criticism of him has been OTT but he just doesn't seem to like that role imo.  I've almost given up on Perez, think he has big questions regarding his attitude.  Good finisher etc, but not prepared to commit himself for tackles etc.

I agree with this to some extent, but my one criticism of Rafa is that he will play the same formation, regardless of the opposition. We were playing a dog shit Blackburn side with one up front. Yes Pardew would sometimes have two strikers on the pitch, but one of them would be stuck out wide and be asked to cover his full back :lol:

Even against Blackburn we had some excellent chances, despite not playing well. Just not buying that we're making it hard for ourselves. We've lost 2 in our last 16 league games or something daft like that? Only one of those has been a draw too. Rafa has a long-term plan, I'd rather he stuck to that.

We are the best team in this division, but we can't expect to not drop points every now and then during these 400 games or however many we play. Unrealistic! Yes we should be beating Blackburn, Wolves, Fulham and the likes of these, but we won't win every game ffs.

We are the best team in this division, but we can't expect to not drop points every now and then during these 400 games or however many we play. Unrealistic! Yes we should be beating Blackburn, Wolves, Fulham and the likes of these, but we won't win every game ffs.

:thup:

I agree with that.

I agree with Diame, think the criticism of him has been OTT but he just doesn't seem to like that role imo.  I've almost given up on Perez, think he has big questions regarding his attitude.  Good finisher etc, but not prepared to commit himself for tackles etc.

Perez has been shit this season, but I was watching him closely yesterday and he barely got a touch of the ball before Shelvey got sent off. We had loads of possession but it was just the back four and Shelvey passing it between themselves a lot of the time. Ritchie, Gouffran, Perez and Gayle were barely involved. I don't know if that was down to them or the players behind them but there wasn't much happening despite having the ball for the majority of the first half.

How are we managing around 2 a game?

How are we managing around 2 a game?

I don't know, I haven't seen enough of our games in full to really pass comment on what we've done over the last few months but in the two games this week we've been toothless in the final third for large periods

we are going to change formation. rafa said as much when he was talking about the possible suspension for shelvey because we havent a like for like replacement. his red card has brought this forward so the deffo be new formaion against birmingham city. may well be 442.

I'd guess it generally does when you've got 2 good strikers and 0 good attacking midfielders, mind. :lol: