Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest chopey

If Shelvey cant make it into that 12 man midfield selection for England then he really does need to get his 2 weeks in Benidorm with the family booked straight away.

Guest Howaythetoon

I dont think his performances since joining us have merited an England call up, certainly not ahead of some of the others. Looking at him as an individual and his tributes, however, his game is probably better suited to international football where the game is slower, a player will have more time and space on the ball. I think he could prosper at that level. Southgate has a tough job, but I just wish he was braver and more courageous when it comes to selecting players as you never know. Ironically, a manager who was often criticised for playing the same old guard or shoe-horning top players into the same team, would have probably given Shelvey and Lascelles a cap by now... Sven. He handed out caps like sweets when it came to friendlies. Even to players in the now Championship.

Maybe he deserves a call up into the big squad, just for the change to train with them.

His value is as a passer, and its hard to know how useful he'd be without seeing if he could pick out Sterling, Rashford, Alli etc.

It goes without saying that we do not have players who make the same frequency of the same quality of runs.

What’s the point of Lewis Cook though? Shelvey actually adds something we lack, Cook is generic English midfielder #407.

He's technically good, in the Wilshere mould. Similar to Winks as well. I'd rather give these type of players a chance in the future. They're friendlies at the end of the day.

Shelvey should be in there on talent alone, but as a manager can you really trust him? Can any of us say for definite he's now turned a corner and won't do something stupid against Huddersfield if circumstances go against him? I can understand leaving him out.

He trusts Jake Livermore who likes to fight with fans tbf.

What I mean though is Lewis Cook doesn't have anything that stands out in a short tournament format, over a full season when you have to account for injuries and suspensions more I could just about understand it. As it is he just doesn't add anything, we could put anyone in his place. 20 minutes left and we look out of ideas in midfield and attack and you throw Lewis Cook on?

Southgate is the most boring cunt we've had.

I can see what you mean. Assuming that Wilshere will start though, and we're setting up in a certain way to play with this sort of player, you've got to have some cover in there for him and it seems Cook is that option.

Not denying it's all a bit underwhelming, cos it really is. :lol:

Looks like we’re going to try and play like Stam’s Reading last year and pass the ball sideways in our own half all match and claim that we’re a really good footballing side.

Lewis Cook and Jake Livermore are total nothing players like, at least Shelvey would bring in the potential to do something outstanding. The CM choices available are absolutely appalling though, none of them are good enough really.

He trusts Jake Livermore who likes to fight with fans tbf.

What I mean though is Lewis Cook doesn't have anything that stands out in a short tournament format,

He's the second Englishman after Bobby Moore to captain his country to a world title.

Not sure if you're being serious or just taking the piss like? :lol:

He clearly offers something in a short format tournament. Not his fault the likes of Henderson and Livermore are also called up. I'd sooner scrap those two and work on someone like Cook who's clearly shown leadership qualities and temperament in a short tournament format.