Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Google him and see all of the problems and issues and lack of commitment etc., that he has had in the past and you can't believe he is the same player.  Complete Rafamation

It helps that he's playing at a level where he's nearly always the most talented player on the pitch by a mile. The real test is next season

He's apparently putting in a lot more work outside of training though, I'm sure someone on here said they spotted him doing laps of the cricket ground in Chester-le-Street.

Yeah, it's getting to Enrique/Coloccini levels of overkill at this level like. It's a good grounding for players if they push on and use it in the right way though.

If those two are anything to go by then it bodes very well, because both had excellent seasons in our return to the top flight.

I want to see Hayden play alongside him next season, I think he's good enough personally

Hayden has bags of potential but presuming we get promoted, we have to be looking to adding depth to our midfield. A defensive midfielder will be a must, as will an attacking midfielder, Shelvey can fit in between those two positions.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, it's getting to Enrique/Coloccini levels of overkill at this level like. It's a good grounding for players if they push on and use it in the right way though.

If those two are anything to go by then it bodes very well, because both had excellent seasons in our return to the top flight.

:thup: Exactly what I was getting at. Trying not to get too ahead of ourselves though, still a long way to go.

Unlikely he'll be half as effective at Prem level due to the vast difference in competition but he really is a pleasure to watch. That said, his best years should be ahead of him, could be a Carrik/Alonso like figure for us next year or he could revert to type. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm undecided about him in the PL, he has been effective before. It will obviously be more difficult but he has shown willing to improve his condition and mobility a fair bit. And he has a manager who will be thinking away to find a system that affords Shelvey the space he needs.

He has played well in premier league for other teams just been horrendously inconsistent, Rafa seems to have fixed that. I do think though that championship teams have been giving him absolutely ludicrous space and time to control the game, he won't get the luxury against proper teams

I'm pretty sure he can do it at premier league level.  Remember that game against West Ham (I think, might have been his debut) and he was cutting them open with his passing and making a real difference to our play.  His head seemed to drop a bit after that and he didn't look particularly fit but if Rafa has got him on the right track then I reckon he'll be able to produce that sort of display more consistently. 

His biggest problem is self discipline and he easily loses motivation when things aren't going his way. At PL level he'd need good protection around him to help in play his game, I think we'd have to either build a midfield around him or could revert to being a bit part player at PL level. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Aye. The PL is so difficult mentally for players.

He's showing that he's too good for the Championship which is great he's for us this season. It says nothing about him in the PL. When the going is tough will he still put in the work rate on and off the pitch? It's a question for next summer hopefully.  I'm not going bother thinking about it too much one way or the other now.

Of course he's good enough for the PL. Players like Dean Marney & David Meyler are starting every week FFS. In my opinion he's the best player in this league and has earned international call ups when playing in the Prem.

It's pretty clear that when he's in the right mental state (like now) he's exactly the kind of player you would build a team around. Thankfully we have Rafa to keep him on the straight & narrow now rather than some of the other pillocks we've had managing us over the last 6/7 years. If he loses his focus again then we have a problem but there doesn't appear to be any reason anymore why he would football wise. The club as a whole is now a great environment to work in.

Shelvey has been in a Swansea side that's finished 9th, 12th and 8th in the PL before coming to us. He would have also been pretty young as a CM during those times given he's 24 right now. I think he has what it takes, Rafa can certainly make him better than what he was a few years ago for sure.

I remember when he was at his best at Swansea and some people on here suggested that we should be bold and try for him in January to strengthen our cm. Everyone was like "no way would he come here", "he's too good and won't come", "we can't afford him" and so on..This was before everything started going bad for him there. He's got talent and if he wants and continues with the same attitude then he will be able to perform on a good level in the PL as well.

Shelvey has been in a Swansea side that's finished 9th, 12th and 8th in the PL before coming to us. He would have also been pretty young as a CM during those times given he's 24 right now. I think he has what it takes, Rafa can certainly make him better than what he was a few years ago for sure.

:thup:

I've no doubt that Rafa will have analysed videos of Swansea what made him so effective under Monk because he's such a vital player for us this season and next season if we get promoted

One of our first priorities if we get back to the PL should be to sign a high quality destroyer type CM to play alongside Shelvey.  Would allow him to express himself at the higher level, but aye he clearly is PL quality and his previous issues have been more confidence/mentality rather than ability.

Shelvey in top form full of confidence is brilliant to watch.

Hayden's technical ability is top notch, I was amazed at this attacking ability on the ball the other night.

He's got a decent turn of pace and love the runs he goes on occasionally. Potentially a top signing by Rafa.

Cant help but think PNE will get a shock when they see Shelvey play going by their forum :-)

That's the thing with this league not being televised as much, you don't really know how certain players play.

We kept a lot of clean sheets the season we finished 5th.  While playing a genuine 442 with 2 outright strikers for the majority of the season.  Yet some will incorrectly say Tiotr and Cabaye didn't have good seasons. 

Our best run of results came with a 4-3-3. Guthrie, Cabaye and Tiote compact in the middle. With HBA and Ba out wide and Cisse playing central