Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Absolutely outstanding today.

Any decent manager would have 1 of their players do a man marking job on him though. The space and time he gets on the ball for someone that has the talent he does is a joke.

Not that simple really, the best midfielders are always in acres of space.

Certainly our player of the season so far IMO, that said he's been rotated less than other players.

No like for like replacement is why. Easily our most important player.

As much as I don't like him I can see why Rafa is roatating Colback and Hayden to run themselves into the ground to give this fella time to boss the game.

Yet another outstanding performance !!

My favourite player, easily our and this leagues best player and our most important player. Give him space to play and he'll punish you.

England is crying out for this type of player. Dictates the game, turns defence in attack almost effortlessly with his superb vision and sublime range of passing. No one else quite like him currently.

Won't get this much space every game to operate in but he's an absolute Joy to watch !

Perhaps Rafa is getting him to do what he had in mind for him when he originally signed him from Charlton? He must have seen something then in terms of turning him into a key player for his system. Obviously he never got the chance at Liverpool but they've now had a full pre-season together and hopefully things are starting to click.

Guest firetotheworks

He's very good when he's given space and probably our best player. I think people are going a bit overboard with some of the praise though. We're in the championship and I haven't forgotten his shite attitude and poor defensive contribution from earlier this season alone, but long may this continue like. If he's still playing at this level at the end of the season and hasn't gone back to his previous attitude, we'll probably win the league and be looking forward to him taking that form into the Premier League. Until then I'm a bit once bitten, twice shy about my overall opinion on him as a footballer.

He's very good when he's given space and probably our best player. I think people are going a bit overboard with some of the praise though. We're in the championship and I haven't forgotten his shite attitude and poor defensive contribution from earlier this season alone, but long may this continue like. If he's still playing at this level at the end of the season and hasn't gone back to his previous attitude, we'll probably win the league and be looking forward to him taking that form into the Premier League. Until then I'm a bit once bitten, twice shy about my overall opinion on him as a footballer.

I still think he's a liability defensively, but two things give me hope. Firstly, he's worked hard to address this by doing extra fitness work in the summer. Secondly, Rafa seems to have a lot of time for him. You get the feeling under another manager he could easily go downhill fast, but he seems to have a lot of respect for Rafa.

He's the best English passer of a ball in the Championship by a country mile. When he gets it right it's a joy to behold. He'll take us up almost on his own if he continues at this level. The big test will come next season.

Guest palnese

He's the best English passer of a ball in the Championship by a country mile. When he gets it right it's a joy to behold. He'll take us up almost on his own if he continues at this level. The big test will come next season.

Not sure if there are any better in the Premier League?

He's very good when he's given space and probably our best player. I think people are going a bit overboard with some of the praise though. We're in the championship and I haven't forgotten his s**** attitude and poor defensive contribution from earlier this season alone, but long may this continue like. If he's still playing at this level at the end of the season and hasn't gone back to his previous attitude, we'll probably win the league and be looking forward to him taking that form into the Premier League. Until then I'm a bit once bitten, twice shy about my overall opinion on him as a footballer.

This. 

One of my things is that when the chips are down - I reckon the lads head goes down.  Starts being lazy.  Blaming others etc. He's come back from a poor start to the season very well so I hope something he clicked.

Looking like Rafa has helped him get his alleged off field problems in check and got him concentrating on his football and working on his fitness. This Shelvey is a quality addition to any side outside the top 6 PL teams, however there's always the fear that the Shelvey we witnessed in the latter Swansea days and our relegation run in could rear his ugly head again. I trust Rafa to keep him on track and I think Shelvey does too.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there was one moment where he was facing our goal midway in our half and he swung a pass to either Atsu or Anita tight on the wing in their half. It was absolutely sublime. Completely blind when he played it.