Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

'... the three Wolves players called as witnesses gave slightly varying accounts of the alleged insult, with one claiming Shelvey had called Saïss “a smelly Arab”. Another ... claimed he heard the word Arab attached to a different insult while the third [said] he used the word “Moroccan” in a derogatory context...

[shelvey] continues to maintain his innocence and is adamant he did not use the words in question. It also appears the midfielder was taunted about his baldness before the incident but claims he did not rise to the bait.'

Regardless of burden of proof, no wonder the lawyers want to contest the decision.

So if he did actually say something along these lines he just used the country he is from as an insult. Is that any different to " smelly jock" " fat Kraut" etc, would them terms have someone up for racial abuse. If someone called me a smelly English whatever I wouldn't take offence because I don't see being English as a negative thing.

:serious:

'... the three Wolves players called as witnesses gave slightly varying accounts of the alleged insult, with one claiming Shelvey had called Saïss “a smelly Arab”. Another ... claimed he heard the word Arab attached to a different insult while the third [said] he used the word “Moroccan” in a derogatory context...

[shelvey] continues to maintain his innocence and is adamant he did not use the words in question. It also appears the midfielder was taunted about his baldness before the incident but claims he did not rise to the bait.'

Regardless of burden of proof, no wonder the lawyers want to contest the decision.

So if he did actually say something along these lines he just used the country he is from as an insult. Is that any different to " smelly jock" " fat Kraut" etc, would them terms have someone up for racial abuse. If someone called me a smelly English whatever I wouldn't take offence because I don't see being English as a negative thing.

:serious:

Yes, he's serious. :rolleyes:

My gut feeling is that Shelvey needs to fight this, the lack of/inconsistant evidence is staggering and a lot of time would have been saved if the FA said they had suspicions but couldnt take the case any further. My question is "who has actually gained anything from this"

Shelvey is either a convicted racist or has had his reputation ruined, I don't think he will ever play for England agian now.

The guy involved doesnt seem to know whats going on.

Newcastle and Wolves have had no opinion.

The FA are trying to look good by taking the moral high ground in a similar situation that they have just been convicted of themselves.

My gut feeling is that Shelvey needs to fight this, the lack of/inconsistant evidence is staggering and a lot of time would have been saved if the FA said they had suspicions but couldnt take the case any further. My question is "who has actually gained anything from this"

Shelvey is either a convicted racist or has had his reputation ruined, I don't think he will ever play for England agian now.

The guy involved doesnt seem to know whats going on.

Newcastle and Wolves have had no opinion.

The FA are trying to look good by taking the moral high ground in a similar situation that they have just been convicted of themselves.

??

I don't know that using a mackem's unnamed source is any better than perpetuating the "cous cous nonce" line tbh. How about we wait for the FA report, eh?

Who are you calling a makem? You marmite munching galah! (Whoops, evidently risking a ban now... despite the worst provocation  ;) )

I think the problem is that if the FA don't charge him, someone would construe that as "they don't take racism seriously". It opens a whole can of worms, as players would be "too scared to report racism as they fear nothing will done" etc.

If someone calls racism, the FA will charge and ban you. Otherwise some goody two shoes will say they are condoning it.

The FA, like many UK institutions, are so politically correct that they are ridiculous - they are not a credible outfit in many ways and this verdict is little surprise.

Look at how soldiers are being hounded by Ambulance chasers years after the events they were involved in took place...the FA are the same as the legal profession.

Guest reefatoon

I can totally understand him appealing of he didn't say it. The last thing you want hanging around your neck is being wrongly accused as a racist. In no way should the FA ban him if they are not 100% sure what happened/was said. You can't go around calling people racists without being 100% sure.

I don't know that using a mackem's unnamed source is any better than perpetuating the "cous cous nonce" line tbh. How about we wait for the FA report, eh?

Who are you calling a makem? You marmite munching galah! (Whoops, evidently risking a ban now... despite the worst provocation  ;) )

The quote came from Louise Taylor's article, you fucking goon. You know, the notorious Geordie-baiting mackem that writes from the Guardian, whose story includes the quote I referenced?

I can totally understand him appealing of he didn't say it. The last thing you want hanging around your neck is being wrongly accused as a racist. In no way should the FA ban him if they are not 100% sure what happened/was said. You can't go around calling people racists without being 100% sure.

The majority on this board seem happy to do so

The FA, like many UK institutions, are so politically correct that they are ridiculous - they are not a credible outfit in many ways and this verdict is little surprise.

Look at how soldiers are being hounded by Ambulance chasers years after the events they were involved in took place...the FA are the same as the legal profession.

Spot on

Guest firetotheworks

Btw, 3 witnesses all saying around about the same thing is generally classed as evidence, even if they are reported as being slightly different statements. Someone's lying and whether it's Shelvey or the Wolves players, it's shit.

Btw, 3 witnesses all saying around about the same thing is generally classed as evidence, even if they are reported as being slightly different statements. Someone's lying and whether it's Shelvey or the Wolves players, it's s***.

True to a point. However when the actual wording is very important to the case the the possibility they can't agree what the actual wording was could well have a bearing on the outcome.

I'd like to think that Shelvey is telling the truth and the fact that three witness statements do not corroborate doesn't seem to add up. However I will reserve judgement until the report is published and we get a clearer picture of what's been said. On a more positive note it seems like Shelvey will be available for the next game and possibly the following game if the appeal is filed.

It's not good if you can fling these allegations around without any ramifications if you're found to be lying, conversely if it is Shelvey that is lying then he deserves all he gets. I'm on the fence for now.