Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Just seen it, Siss asked Shelvey if he wanted to come to dinner, apparently his lass, Ali Peshar does a mean cous cous. Shelvey replied "cous Cous?  No 'anks."

I was thinking Worst Poster would be extremely difficult this year but this just sealed the deal.

You just can't say racist things these days without being accused of being some kind of racist.

That isn't the problem - the problem is that you are very likely to be accused of racism if someone of a certain disposition THINKS you are being racist. The fact is that the vast majority of people have had enough of PC and having the thought Police on their tail all the time ; Brexit, Trump and the fact that here in Australia a new Australian Conservative Party is likely to be set up after 40% - yes, 40% - of the voters said they no longer believed in Democracy...22% did not identify with any political party.

Politicians, the Establishment generally, and the media...totally out of touch with the people.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/statement-jonjo-shelvey-221216

Jonjo Shelvey has today taken the decision not to lodge an appeal against an FA misconduct charge which was found proven by the Regulatory Commission earlier this week.

The player will now serve a five-match suspension.

Speaking of the verdict and his decision, Jonjo said: “I am very disappointed and frustrated with the outcome of the hearing. I strongly maintain that I did not use the offensive language that has been alleged.

“Despite my strong disappointment, we think an appeal is very unlikely to change the panel’s decision on the case, so I have decided not to take that option.

“Appealing the ban would also extend the period of uncertainty for the club and the team during such an important part of the season.

“This would not be fair on my club, manager or teammates and I want to draw a line under this now so that I can return to help my team with our promotion challenge as soon as possible.“

Manager Rafa Benitez said: “Jonjo has maintained his position from the outset and as such has received our full support. Despite this issue going on in the background he has continued to train and play really well.

"Now he has made the decision not to appeal the verdict we can focus on the upcoming games without uncertainty and distraction.”

Newcastle United does not tolerate any form of discrimination or abuse and condemns the use of racist, sexist or homophobic remarks in the strongest possible terms.

The club will not be making any further comment.

Seems absolutely ridiculous. At least wait to confirm no appeal and have him play against Sheff Wed. That way it's just two league games until we can bring someone in.

Do we not just want it over and done with?

Would quite like us to win football matches. There would be no uncertainty or doubts, we would know Sheff Qrd would be his last game. We could confirm no appeal the morning after. I can only imagine they intend to use Diame deeper which means they want the suspension done in the most part before he goes to the ACON. The plan should be to sign some fucker though.

Correct decision.

Now we can move on and concentrate on the games ahead with the players that we have available.

The hyperbole with some people expecting us to completely collapse without Shelvey is mental. He's a great player, but we also have loads of other great players too. Our third choice centre mid would get into most teams in this league ffs.

Happy enough with that. If he didn't say it then I'm glad, but they're totally right to assume it wouldn't be overturned considering they've made the decision on seemingly so little evidence in the first place.

We'll certainly miss him though, it would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. He's among the very best players in the league.

He's obviously important and we'll miss his qualities, but at the same time I think the other players will take even more responsibility so we should be alright :thup: I can see Hayden growing even more as a player in the coming games.

Think we've made the right decision :thup:

Next 5 games don't look too difficult on paper and I think we'll manage without him. Relieved that he'll be back for the Brighton game (even if it does get shifted) which will no doubt be our toughest game of the season.

Might just be me but I'd fight in every court and stand in front of every panel that would listen to me if I was accused of racial abuse. Cant see why any innocent person would accept that.  :undecided:

Would be interesting to see general opinion on this if it was Colback accused. :(