Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Shelvey suffers without Merino and Perez because he doesn't have options along the ground. Those passes he was trying at the weekend are just a waste of time against PL defences.

Two of his passes today were world class, he just needs to be patient and wait for those opportunities. And we need to give him better options.

The second was absolutely incredible.

He's more than a hollywood ball like. He can play different passes depending on who's around him.

Agreed, but he is also prone to being mentally off. Which could lead to bad decisions. That said, last game we didn't have any other gameplan so I don't really blame him.

Him and Merino together are our best midfield 2.

Yep, some lovely touches between them hell we were even good to watch for the last 15 mins or so

Aye, that period was all us and we were unlucky not to win in the end. When everyone is back fit, particularly Lascelles, we have a canny bottom half PL side that can play decent stuff at times. Mainly down to Rafa's ability as a manager that though.

Him and Merino together are our best midfield 2.

Yep, some lovely touches between them hell we were even good to watch for the last 15 mins or so

Aye, that period was all us and we were unlucky not to win in the end. When everyone is back fit, particularly Lascelles, we have a canny bottom half PL side that can play decent stuff at times. Mainly down to Rafa's ability as a manager that though.

Think most of the sides down there can play decent stuff with a fully fit team in confidence. West Brom's goals were nice for example.

Might be better off the bench when there's more space for his balls and the opps are tired.

Nah, think that’s too simply put. Needs a full match but has to be with Merino.

I think we should try and start with our most talented team and that includes Shelvey. But I have a suspicion he could be more impactful when the game is stretched and he's that bit faster than the other players.

Might be better off the bench when there's more space for his balls and the opps are tired.

Nah, think that’s too simply put. Needs a full match but has to be with Merino.

I think we should try and start with our most talented team and that includes Shelvey. But I have a suspicion he could be more impactful when the game is stretched and he's that bit faster than the other players.

I think you're right.

I just don't rate him highly. He positioning is poor, his discipline is poor, his athleticism is poor and he's not a leader.

His short range passing is ok, as is his set pieces but nothing spectacular. Of course his long range passing is very good but we have no pace or movement in our side to exploit it.

Him getting suspended also resulted in better performances from us.

I said this after the Watford game but make no mistake, he's the one player in our squad, alongside Merino, who can do something outstanding.

There has to be a solution where we can get Hayden, Merino and Shelvey all on the pitch. Merino is our best player, Hayden provides the energy and Shelvey the sparkle.

I watched the full game, late last night when I got home from work. TBH, even as a Shelvey fan, I thought he could have little argument with being dropped. However when he came on, in that short cameo he was excellent, must have played 4 or 5 excellent passes, not all of the 40 yard hollywood type either. I've been arguing forever that we need to go with Merino Hayden and Shelvey in the middle dropping whoever plays at number 10. Chelsea would be a perfect game to try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Right Rafa stop fucking about and get this lad in the team, and don't give me none of that bollocks he can't play in a two. He did all last season and was excellent alongside Merino against liverpool in a two earlier this season.

He's our creative player, our only one. Stop leaving him on the bench please ffs.

Again I will say it, this is yet another example of Rafa refusing to play Shelvey, Merino and Hayden together, I have no idea why he refuses to do that, we can't play 442 and our options at number 10 are atrocious.

I’d play Shelvey every game from the start, but we scored 2 tonight and probably created another 4-5 decent chances. Our issue tonight wasn’t a lack of creativity, it was a lack of defensive competence and that’s not something Shelvey wouldn’t helped with.

I’d play Shelvey every game from the start, but we scored 2 tonight and probably created another 4-5 decent chances. Our issue tonight wasn’t a lack of creativity, it was a lack of defensive competence and that’s not something Shelvey wouldn’t helped with.

Tend to agree, though it wasn't just the defenders themselves that were incompetent. The midfield was all over the place, maybe Shelvey just being in the middle and available to take the ball was what we needed.

Tend to agree, though it wasn't just the defenders themselves that were incompetent. The midfield was all over the place, maybe Shelvey just being in the middle and available to take the ball was what we needed.

That said, and given that we won't be playing with 3 in midfield, would you rather Shelvey be paired with Hayden or Merino? It's though to say imo, if Shelvey is there to take the ball, then maybe Hayden is the better workhorse? Merino gets through a lot of work himself mind. He's somewhere between Hayden and Shelvey in terms of playing style.

Which partnership brings us the best balance?