Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Still wish he would look for simple passes more often.

I get the feeling he's under instruction to play the long ball. Rafa doesn't seem to trust our players ability to bring the ball out with short passing, obviously he doesn't think a lot of them are good enough to do it. I think he's got a point if the game against Cardiff is any indicator.

Definitely the plan is to get the ball forward quickly, it's our chosen style. I would love us to stroke it around more as well, especially against the shit teams. Maybe we will once a few more of the new signings come in and confidence increases a bit. 

Doesn’t work though when you have players up front who are not exactly very quick

I get the feeling he's under instruction to play the long ball. Rafa doesn't seem to trust our players ability to bring the ball out with short passing, obviously he doesn't think a lot of them are good enough to do it. I think he's got a point if the game against Cardiff is any indicator.

Definitely the plan is to get the ball forward quickly, it's our chosen style. I would love us to stroke it around more as well, especially against the shit teams. Maybe we will once a few more of the new signings come in and confidence increases a bit. 

Doesn’t work though when you have players up front who are not exactly very quick

It might be because he's worried that our players aren't good enough to get it upfield by passing it regardless. You need defenders and midfielders who can bring the ball out, if they lose it then we are under pressure in our own half. I got the feeling it was a defensive measure as much as an attacking one.

• 3 weeks later...

Because he's got 0 goals and 0 assists and we're currently sitting in the relegation zone? Football fans and writers generally have short memories, so not at all surprised to see the rhetoric change from "he should be in the England team" to now not being even considered.

this is what he's most improved on imo, he used to take the ball and fuck about looking for a hollywood pass...now when he takes the ball generally his head is up and he's looking for a forward pass short or long

this is what he's most improved on imo, he used to take the ball and fuck about looking for a hollywood pass...now when he takes the ball generally his head is up and he's looking for a forward pass short or long

I might be wrong, but I can't remember seeing him looking for a return pass. Doesn't ever seem to be involved in quick one-two pass movements, and I think this is a big failing of our side in general for a long time.

I might be wrong, but I can't remember seeing him looking for a return pass. Doesn't ever seem to be involved in quick one-two pass movements, and I think this is a big failing of our side in general for a long time.

That's a very good point actually. Even when he's looking for the short forward pass, which he does more frequently these days imo, he's never moving forward into space looking for it back. Or rarely anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If Hayden is playing 90 minutes, then you can be sure Shelvey wasn't right to throw on when 0-2 down.

They were saying on the TF podcast his groin/thigh still isn't great hence him not being risked when the game had gone in case it totally went and he was out for months. Worrying given how important he is.

If Hayden is playing 90 minutes, then you can be sure Shelvey wasn't right to throw on when 0-2 down.

They were saying on the TF podcast his groin/thigh still isn't great hence him not being risked when the game had gone in case it totally went and he was out for months. Worrying given how important he is.

We have depth though..

• 1 month later...

I thought he was very very good today, but wasted, a bit like the Royal Ordinance providing weapons for a kids pea shooter

playing like he did yesterday is a waste of his talent, sorry he spent most of the time at centre half position collecting the ball and then fuck all in front of him, surely Rafa can see this and tell him to move up the fucking pitch and try to hurt defenses such as Brighton?

his game is passing, do it where it hurts ffs, for me that's down to Rafa to tell him, unless he just ignores instructions and goes where he want?

a waste

Only saw the highlights Cov, but he was still involved in a lot of play in the final third/had more chances than anyone else.

very much the highlights, far too often he did his quarterback routine, yes he wants the ball but its time for our defenders to come out with it and tell him to get up.

That's difficult when 2 of our defenders are poor with the ball at their feet

the coach them.....Rafa?

Absolutely this. Rafa should also coach Joselu to hit that 30 yard volley in the net and not to the corner flag.

uote author=jackyboy link=topic=97519.msg6846929#msg6846929 date=1540113581]

The amount of time I see Lascelles get the ball with acres of space in front of him but he never elects to move into that space. Always plays it square or backwards or a hopeful punt forward

totally agree, the one time our centre half did a Roeder run we created danger, they never step out with the ball, wasting Shelveys talent, that's down to Rafa to drum into them .