Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest ManDoon

Lejeune does it, because he's comfortable on the ball. Lascelles, despite his other attributes is awful on the ball which is why he won't get in the England squad imo

Wasn't a penalty on Alonso like and no one can ever convince it was, he got the ball. I'm adamant about that. :lol:

Fernandez gave up that game too and he's been taken to alright now.

Plus Lejeune gave away a stupid penalty that cost us early on last season too and it ended up okay after we persevered with him, because it was clear he was a good footballer. I think Schar is too and I don't see the current pairing or Clark doing much that means we have to do without someone good on the ball.

I think it's more that Rafa trusts Lascelles and Fernandez as his centre-half pairing and doesn't want to mess with it. Stability is good, and Rafa has clearly decided Lascelles-Fernandez offers more than any combo including Schar.

It is very frustrating to see Shelvey at left back or right back to collect the ball and bring it forward, because it's true that he then has to work even harder to get forward. Nevertheless, he is working really hard, finding someone from our own half and then rushing forward to join the attack.

With so many of our players in poor touch, Shelvey would have to be our most in-form player. He's grafting hard, and tryinh to polish turds for 90 minutes every week.

The only danger is him losing his head, and there were hints on Saturday that petulant Shelvey still exists and the red mist hasn't been banished forever. Here's hoping he stays on course, because he's about the only thing working at the moment.

Still wish he would look for simple passes more often.

this is what he's most improved on imo, he used to take the ball and fuck about looking for a hollywood pass...now when he takes the ball generally his head is up and he's looking for a forward pass short or long

I might be wrong, but I can't remember seeing him looking for a return pass. Doesn't ever seem to be involved in quick one-two pass movements, and I think this is a big failing of our side in general for a long time.

The whole concept of pass and move has been foreign to us for over a decade.  :lol: The only time I can remember any real one-two passing was when Ben Arfa played and he'd pass the ball to himself.

this is what he's most improved on imo, he used to take the ball and f*** about looking for a hollywood pass...now when he takes the ball generally his head is up and he's looking for a forward pass short or long

I might be wrong, but I can't remember seeing him looking for a return pass. Doesn't ever seem to be involved in quick one-two pass movements, and I think this is a big failing of our side in general for a long time.

The whole concept of pass and move has been foreign to us for over a decade.  :lol: The only time I can remember any real one-two passing was when Ben Arfa played and he'd pass the ball to himself.

He looks completely alien in our team at the minute, like an adult playing in a kids team. Today none of the other midfielders offered him anything, so he was reduced to speculative stuff yet again. Would love to see him behind a AM who actually moves into space.

Will be gone in the summer :(

Will be gone in January if the right offer comes in, the number on the back of his Sports Direct United shirt is the starting price in millions.

this is what he's most improved on imo, he used to take the ball and f*** about looking for a hollywood pass...now when he takes the ball generally his head is up and he's looking for a forward pass short or long

He looks completely alien in our team at the minute, like an adult playing in a kids team. Today none of the other midfielders offered him anything, so he was reduced to speculative stuff yet again. Would love to see him behind a AM who actually moves into space.

If he was that good you would think he would score the odd goal now and then, if only from set pieces. Gazza played with equally shite players at Newcastle but he still did his stuff. Yes he's better than most of the rest of the team, but not enough to have any actual impact.

We actually looked better when he went off today. Where he normally holds onto the ball for a while, picks it up and deep and looks for ambitious passes, where Ki really helped was short simple and penetrative passing to keep us ticking over.

I think he would have been better second half if not injured. He's playing so deep because we're using two centre backs who can't pass the ball well. Last season Lejeune was doing what he's had to go do this season.

I really don't think it can be underestimated how much Schar made a difference to our options in possession.

No question the lad has got a lot of talent but his overall record is just not good enough for a supposed player with his ability and his goal scoring record for a creative midfielder is pretty anysmal.

He should score more goals but in his defence he plays pretty much like a quarter back for us

You're right - personally I think he should be moved forward - but still saying that hs overall attempts when he gets in position are usually shocking for someone with his ability.

A player like Shelvey is only ever going to be as good as the players around him. His best and possibly only attribute is his passing, if players ahead of him arn’t making the runs then he’s wasted.

I actuallly think the way Ki was playing when he replaced Shelvey on Saturday would have been ideal for Shelvey to feed balls into.