Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Several places reporting that he’s getting axed from the England squad which is announced today for the Germany and Holland friendlies for Drinkwater

If true it seems that whoever moves to the north east can kiss goodbye to their careers.

FYP

Mental that Drinkwater isn't about 35.

Even more mental that he got man of the match the other night. I thought he was very average. But he's had an excellent season and therefore deserves an International call up.

Mental that Drinkwater isn't about 35.

Even more mental that he got man of the match the other night. I thought he was very average. But he's had an excellent season and therefore deserves an International call up.

Should have been Kante by a mile.

Shelvey can't have too many complaints. A couple of very good homes games, one average home game and 3 poor away games don't exactly scream out 'call up'.

Agree on the Drinkwater MoM award, it was Kante by a million miles.

Not convinced by him at all, he does a lot of pointing but his own positioning is often woeful, be presses when he shouldn't and leaves so much space behind him.

When he has the ball be often slows the game down whilst he figures out which long pass to attempt, great when they come off but when they don't it leaves players like Janmaat way out of position with Shelvey unable to cover the space.

He's played far too deep last two games that's for sure.

That's the thing he's deep when we have the ball and often not looking to create passing angles for himself to receive the ball but he's all over the shop when we need him to sit deep and the opposition has possession.

He's really lacks discipline and I dont feel he's suited to playing centre midfield at all personally. I know some will want to see him play a more box to box role but he lacks the stamina and pace to get up and down Imo.

Not convinced by him at all, he does a lot of pointing but his own positioning is often woeful, be presses when he shouldn't and leaves so much space behind him.

When he has the ball be often slows the game down whilst he figures out which long pass to attempt, great when they come off but when they don't it leaves players like Janmaat way out of position with Shelvey unable to cover the space.

Yup, lacks any positional discipline. All the comments from Swansea fans about him being a bit of a 'luxury player' are spot on really. He is very difficult to accommodate tactically.

He's not brilliant tactically but I can't help feel his positioning is being blown way out of proportion. He's not charging around leaving gaps every 2 minutes. He occasionally leaves his post but shouldn't be the furthest back midfielder. Simple as that, really. He's still a CM through and through. He's quicker and fitter than I thought he was too, he's someone that can drive us forward if he's given license to.

He's played far too deep last two games that's for sure.

This.  It works when there is space in behind for him to try the Hollywood diagonal pass.  But yesterday, he was basically playing centre back and the game was never set up to suit. 

Since getting the armband, he has really started to graft IMO.  I like him. 

I've liked what I've seen from him. He was doing loads of winding up and niggly shit off the ball yesterday and his range of passing is fantastic. If only SDJ was more mobile they'd arguably be the best possible pairing.

We need Mitro as the target man and Perez playing off him on the shoulder of the last man with someone like De Jong or Wijnaldum in behind. Townsend on one wing and dare I say it Sissoko on the other with Shelvey mopping up as a deep lying playmaker. Defensively minded and competent full backs and obviously the two CBs and keeper. For me the issue is Sissoko and virtually all of our CBs need chasing and replaced. Then need to buy at least two LBs as well.

problem is we dont have the right partner for him in midfield. Tiote could be an option - where is he btw?

gini and shelves is as good as it gets atm.

If we stay up.

new dm

gini        shelvey

Guest firetotheworks

I have a lot of time for players that don't shy away and try to make things happen. He was pretty much man-marked yesterday and that stopped us, but he kept trying to force the issue and I liked that.

Another with a fairly poor first touch and slow feet.  Once he gets moving he's a decent dribbler but the first 3 touches aren't great. Doesn't handle pressure well so he goes deeper to get more time on the ball. It's one thing to have that problem at the highest level like Alonso- it's another when Kirchoff and M'vila can shut you down. 

Having a more combative CM partner might help him with that. 

Another with a fairly poor first touch and slow feet.  Once he gets moving he's a decent dribbler but the first 3 touches aren't great. Doesn't handle pressure well so he goes deeper to get more time on the ball. It's one thing to have that problem at the highest level like Alonso- it's another when Kirchoff and M'vila can shut you down. 

Having a more combative CM partner might help him with that.

I disagree I think the gap between our central midfielders and centre halves is huge it's like a chasm either we press as a team try to be compact, Shelvey is prone to pressing at stupid times which leaves our centre halves very vulnerable.